BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHarrison

Veteran Member
TDI
96 & 97 TDI Passat, several Diesel Toyota Trucks...
Hammer, do you have part numbers or links to these parts? Also, is there a special tool needed for the A/C clutch pulley? Don't know if it's the same, but the a/c clutch pulley on one of our B4 Passats blew into pieces one day.

oilhammer said:
Engine mounts are common. Check for purplish stainage on teh bottoms where the juice leaks out.

Alternator clutch pulley. These sometimes make noise, and in some cases come apart.

Both the mounts and the pulley have updated parts available.

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
I was checking cost of parts at dealer (Canada). Just above $1,800 before taxes (2K and change taxes incl.)

I was trying to do the $$ math with parts from word impex - comes slightly cheaper, but UPS has the nasty habit to charge outrageous brokerage fees, so after currency conversion, shipping and Canadian taxes (and that brokerage) things come almost close to even..

Anyone know better source for the parts to get in Canada?

volkswagendude

Veteran Member
TDI
None for now...
leobg said:
I was checking cost of parts at dealer (Canada). Just above $1,800 before taxes (2K and change taxes incl.)

I was trying to do the $$ math with parts from word impex - comes slightly cheaper, but UPS has the nasty habit to charge outrageous brokerage fees, so after currency conversion, shipping and Canadian taxes (and that brokerage) things come almost close to even..

Ya.

Just try to find a vendor who is willing to use your FedEx Account#. $9 flat brokerage fee.

UPS on the other hannd is on cloud 9 with their 3 digit at times brokerage fees. :mad:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
volkswagendude said:
Ya.

Just try to find a vendor who is willing to use your FedEx Account#. $9 flat brokerage fee.

UPS on the other hannd is on cloud 9 with their 3 digit at times brokerage fees. :mad:
I once eBayed a nice Nikon Zoom to a guy in England. He absolutely insisted on UPS. Oh boy. He had to cough out several hundred in brokerage fees ALONE. Normally I use the Postal Service In'tl priority where they don't ask for your first born in return for brokerage.

earlthepearl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle 5M, 2004 Passat 6M, 2009 Jetta Sedan (buy back), 2010 Touareg (buy back)
Finally unchained

The wife's Passat is finally back on the road, with her behind the wheel, and I get my 09 Jetta TDI back. We picked the car up yesterday from the guys at MF Automotive in Knoxville. What a bunch of great guys. With 180k on the odo, they helped us out with a couple other issues in addition to the BS mod. Now, with new motor mounts, axle assemblies, and torque converter, we are ready for another 180k. The wife is happy, and so am I.:)

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Today was a great day. My B5.5 too is unchained as of today by Oilhammer. I see EarlthePearl that congrats to you too is in order!

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well now that the dust has settled, I just want you to know that Oilhammer's crew at Cardoc is one of the best repair experiences I have ever had. He was efficient. Took great obvious pride in his craft and his support staff etc. were all so very friendly. You all should be proud of your team!

I went the full deal, BS gear conversion, glow plugs, water pump, tensioner, timing belt, drive belt, motor mounts, alternator pulley etc.

First observations. My family, who has lots of riding miles under their collective seat belts, noticed the reduced noise and vibration instantly. My wife said, "I never really noticed the noise before that much, but now that it is gone I really notice the lack of it."

I observed that the car seems more like when I bought it. The car just sounds more precise and I feel better about driving it all around the USA.

Next project? Well I am going to be at the dieselgrandad GTG to get my ecm reflashed, so the glow plug relay can be hooked back up again. Oh yea and a little more power via RC-1 ;)

Oh and for you fellow owners who have not done this, I urge you to do so for peace of mine at the very least. It gets real expensive if the freaking chain blows on you according to Oilhammer.

Last edited:

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
leobg said:

You should instruct WI to ship using USPS to ship to Canada. It will go straight to Canada Post and thru custom with no problem and no brokerage fees etc.

Last edited:

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
T_D_I_POWER said:
You should instruct WI to ship using USPS to ship to Canada. It will go straight to Canada Post and thru custom with no problem and no brokerage fees etc.
With USPS I will be paying only the goods tax which is 13% here, but for sure there will be no brokerage fee. I will call them to see how much shipping via USPS will be. Thanks for the suggestion TDI Power!

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
dhuddleson said:
leobg,

Why don't you try contacting Brandon at DCB Automotive, near Finch & 400 in Toronto. You can find his contact info in the Ontario forum. Find the topic "Ontario 04-05 Passat Balance Shaft Repairs ". He does these BS jobs, but may sell you the parts to do yourself...
I am kind of afraid not to offend him by asking for the parts only. I am sure he is no autoparts store and won't appreciate this.
I was (still) considering having Brandon do the job and keep my hands clean, but work is a good chunk of the cache for this job and considering how significant it is, I am still tempted to try saving it. Huh :confused:

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
Hey guys/gals,

since I am not quite sure how the "marbles in blender" sound (and have no intension to reproduce the sound :)), I decided to take recording of the sound of my car. FYI - the recording is taken with plastic shield from the top of the engine taken away and the accessory belt (alternator/ps pump/etc) taken off to eliminate any other extra noises that might "spoil" the sound.
Here is the recording: http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=55530&cat=3281&ppuser=22350 it is taken with no professional equipment of any sort of course (I used my cell phone), but I think recording is pretty on the spot with the real thing.

I will appreciate experts opinion on this one!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You will generally hear more of the bad sounds with everything in place, the hood shut, standing outside the front of the car.

And even then, this is really a moot point since they will all need this eventually anyways.

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
oilhammer said:
You will generally hear more of the bad sounds with everything in place, the hood shut, standing outside the front of the car.

And even then, this is really a moot point since they will all need this eventually anyways.
Alright. I will take another recording following your recommendation OH! As soon as my alternator pulley shows up (thanks to this forum for helping me pinpoint this problem, I would never thought about a clutch in that pully!)

ps. forgot to mention - when I listen underneat the car - close to the area where the balance shaft module is - I think I can hear the chain, I have the feeling it doesn't glide very smooth. I don't think it is slapping yet Believe me - i know how this sounds and what it means (when fail) with my old VR6 where I had to go the whole nine yards... I don't plan going thru the same with the TDI, so I am doing the BSM as soon as possible (trying to orginize it right now).

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
leobg said:
...Believe me - i know how this sounds and what it means (when fail) with my old VR6 where I had to go the whole nine yards... I don't plan going thru the same with the TDI, so I am doing the BSM as soon as possible (trying to orginize it right now).
On no, if you ask TDI POWER the VR6 chains NEVER fail. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. When those things start making noise they slap and rattle all over the place and beat the crap out of the covers. I do not think the BHW can ever get that bad and still run. :p

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
oilhammer said:
On no, if you ask TDI POWER the VR6 chains NEVER fail. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. When those things start making noise they slap and rattle all over the place and beat the crap out of the covers. I do not think the BHW can ever get that bad and still run. :p
O - TDI POWER, believe me chain can fail! On my VR6 it happened at around 240K which is quite a lot for a car anyways. I agree not many people keep their cars that long or drive them that much. I'd love to change my car every year, but unfortunately this isn't in line with finances :). I consider myself lucky with the VR6 btw. What happened is tensioner failed and chain slipped couple of teeth on the cam of bank 1 (front). Problem happened at startup - obviously - tensioner had no enough strenght to push on the chain due to chain rail COMPLETELY worn off! Result was 3 bent exhaust valves (thanks God, they didn't fall inside the cylinders!) It took alot of work to fix, but nothing major was broken (especially cylinder head and engine block).

Chain is definitely not a life time item, at least not for people who tend to drive cars more than the waranteed kilometres, which describes many of us.

Sorry for the offtopic thing but I wanted to shout it out!

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
So the real root cause question: does VW have a chain problem, or a tensioner problem? :D

I guess it doesn't matter, the result is the same, and curable by gears.

But I do wonder because timing belts also have tensioners.

oilhammer

TDI
PlaneCrazy said:
So the real root cause question: does VW have a chain problem, or a tensioner problem? :D

I guess it doesn't matter, the result is the same, and curable by gears.

But I do wonder because timing belts also have tensioners.
Timing belts do not have a series of endless metal links being drug across a plastic surface. It is common sense that chains' tensioners simply have a finite service life. It is just that the BHW's setup is shortened due to the fact that it is spinning at double crank speed and has a very small build for the task at hand.

And it simply does not matter how much, how often, what type of oil used, etc. They will still eventually wear down the plastic parts and get so much slack they either get noisy or simply no longer hold enough tension and jump.

You should see some of the deep grooves we find in all kinds of chain guides and tensioner shoes on all types of cars. Shoot some of the Nissans will wear them so thin they shatter and wedge in between the cam sprockets. Some of the Toyotas will wear so bad that the chain starts wearing through the aluminum timing cover into the coolant passages that go between the engine block and water pump! :eek:

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
leobg said:
With USPS I will be paying only the goods tax which is 13% here, but for sure there will be no brokerage fee. I will call them to see how much shipping via USPS will be. Thanks for the suggestion TDI Power!
I bought a pair of Tannoy Eyris DC1 speakers in Toronto last Christmas, to complete my 5-channel streo system. I shipped by Canada Post, and got it here in 2 weeks. No custom and brokerage charge etc.

All the best

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Highline TDI sedan
leobg said:
Depends on how Canada Post (CP) is feeling that day..... they are supposed to process taxes and duties on behalf of Canada Customs, so do not be surprised if Duty is charged. Now the big savings is that CP charges a brokerage processing fee of only $5.00 on a package, as opposed to the shocking variable amount that UPS, FedEx and other Couriers charge...

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You Tube Videos of a before and after BS to gear conversion

Here is a trio of you tubes I have created to document my Passat's Oil Pump Chain Noise. Engine was warm after a 20 mile trip. Same Camera, same fps, etc. We now have three videos. One at 44k, one at 56k and one post-op at 57k.

This was taken with 44,444 on the clock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0WMgcDJfqI
This The car prior to BS surgery in May 2009 with 56,000 on the clock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtQx3sj6_Fk
This is a post-op recording June 2009 at 57,000 of my Passat after Oilhammer
did the conversion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTQIaK-cwD4

Last edited:

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
leicaman said:
Here is a trio of you tubes I have created to document my Passat's Oil Pump Chain Noise. Engine was warm after a 20 mile trip. Same Camera, same fps, etc. We now have three videos. One at 44k, one at 56k and one post-op at 57k.

This was taken with 44,444 on the clock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0WMgcDJfqI
This The car prior to BS surgery in May 2009 with 56,000 on the clock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtQx3sj6_Fk
This is a post-op recording June 2009 at 57,000 of my Passat after Oilhammer
did the conversion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTQIaK-cwD4
I am wondering why does the plastic cover look like vobbling like that (slowly). I guess it is video camera effect due to the FPS count and the normal vibration of the engine. Looks funny though! :)

Leica, do you mind doing similar recordings with the lid closed, near the cetre lower area of the nose? This is where I can clearly hear my chain gliding (grinding) over the chain guides. I know it is too late to take the "pre-surgery" recording, but the post surgery would be nice.

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
On a second/third hearing, I can clearly notice the same chain noise on pre-upgrade video as mine does, yours is lauder though! This sound is definitely missing on post-upgrade - wow!

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
leobg said:
I am wondering why does the plastic cover look like vobbling like that (slowly). I guess it is video camera effect due to the FPS count and the normal vibration of the engine. Looks funny though! :)

Leica, do you mind doing similar recordings with the lid closed, near the cetre lower area of the nose? This is where I can clearly hear my chain gliding (grinding) over the chain guides. I know it is too late to take the "pre-surgery" recording, but the post surgery would be nice.
I had the camera on the lowest quality setting to not make the file monster sized. I too noticed the wobling effect, but after I closely looked full screen at the others, they too do this. So I am not too annoyed with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.