BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
aja8888 said:
Got a call from Steve Glover (mtbr297) in Fort Worth a while ago. My Passat BS chain drive has been replaced with the helical gearing upgrade and the car is purring like a kitten. ;) He did a TB 100K kit and trans service also.

I'll be picking it up later this week as I have a short business trip to make Monday (Louisiana). I will post pictures of any parts that have significant damage or wear.

Edit to add pic:

Tony

This is a very nice pic of the module upgrade....

Technical question to MOgolf or Oilhammer;

How do you ensure the proper tooth mating of the large gear on the crankshaft to the first gear on the BS Module? I would think that the tolerances are pretty important at that interface and you are at the mercy of the stack-up from the BS module to the block.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It pushes in sideways, then gets tightened down. Then the coating on the idler gear wears away, setting the correct tolerance.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The crankshaft is locked at TDC.
The intermediate gear is loose, but meshed with the other gears.
The BS gear starts at locked position, but the lock is removed.
Then one pushs on the intermediate gear very firmly into that gap between the crank and BS gears. While doing that, its bolt is tightened.

As soon as the engine runs, the coating on the intermediate gear wears away. This gives the proper amount of gear lash (tolerance).

And, yes, the instructions do note that the BS module gear and shaft can get pushed slightly counterclockwise (as seen in that picture). That is expected and normal. It is a very small amount.

I think VW and/or their suppliers thought this out very carefully and had the computers simulate it considerably before they started manufacturing this design. It would appear that they gave it a lot more thought than the design it replaced. ;)

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
MOGolf said:

I think VW and/or their suppliers thought this out very carefully and had the computers simulate it considerably before they started manufacturing this design. It would appear that they gave it a lot more thought than the design it replaced. ;)
New VW slogan: "We spend the time to get it right ... the second time":(

sschnath

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat
johnboy00 said:
New VW slogan: "We spend the time to get it right ... the second time":(
Or they could borrow my favorite line from the computer industry which has roots with Ford:

"Where quality is job 1.1"

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
KALaBenne said:
"He is NOT the Messiah, as a matter of fact he's been a very naughty boy!"
What's really funny is that I jut now realized the Oilhammer's name is Brian.

:p

BadgerFan

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive, White
BS Mod Friday(2/20/09) morning on my 2005 b5

On the way to St. Louis to Oilhammers shop for the BS Mod thursday evening for a Friday morning appt with Oilhammer. I have an 05 TDI passat with 102k miles. Hopfully the OEM BS stays in tact for the 6hour drive.

Leicaman and I are meeting up and comparing noise levels this weekend after the mod.

Will post photos and discuss my experience when I get back:D

Wish me luck

Badgerfan

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
BadgerFan said:
On the way to St. Louis to Oilhammers shop for the BS Mod thursday evening for a Friday morning appt with Oilhammer. I have an 05 TDI passat with 102k miles. Hopfully the OEM BS stays in tact for the 6hour drive.

Leicaman and I are meeting up and comparing noise levels this weekend after the mod.

Will post photos and discuss my experience when I get back:D

Wish me luck

Badgerfan
Travel Safe!

BadgerFan

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive, White
Thanks

Leicaman, we will compare the post mod performance/noise to yours on Saturday.

Badgerfan

Joell

TDI
2005 Passat
VW Part number for BS mod?

To those who have worked diligently in repairing and educating the TDI owners on the issue of BS modification I would like to ask if there is a VW Part number of some sort of numerical reference to the new replacement gear drive assembly. I have contacted two VW dealerships here in central PA and one major dealer in Maryland and all three deny any knowledge of the BS issue. They have absolutely no information in their computer of parts needed for the modification.
If any of the techs who are doing these modifications have an official VW parts number or list could you please post it?
Thank you!

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Go to post #1, download the repair PDF. The parts listing is included.

pgoes

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat wagon, 2004.5, Stonehenge gray
Dealers who have access to the European TSB's should be able to find the parts bulletin included in the PDF. My mechanic found it there, but not on the VWOA info.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Joell said:
To those who have worked diligently in repairing and educating the TDI owners on the issue of BS modification I would like to ask if there is a VW Part number of some sort of numerical reference to the new replacement gear drive assembly. I have contacted two VW dealerships here in central PA and one major dealer in Maryland and all three deny any knowledge of the BS issue. They have absolutely no information in their computer of parts needed for the modification.
If any of the techs who are doing these modifications have an official VW parts number or list could you please post it?
Thank you!
World Impex.com in Maryland sells the complete Kit.

http://www.worldimpex.com/search_by...=2005&make_id=1&model_id=564&category_id=1570

Joell

TDI
2005 Passat
Thanks once again for all the input. I pitty those BHW owners who are not members of this fine group.

Last edited:

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
The balance shaft modules ordered from Advanced Automotion are in stock and shipping on Monday. Thanks for your patronage.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Impex informatoin was already noted in the first post. I have added a reference to Advanced Automation to that post.

rydogg

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
Scott_DeWitt said:
The balance shaft modules ordered from Advanced Automotion are in stock and shipping on Monday. Thanks for your patronage.
Scott,
I checked out your website but didn't see any BS assemblies available. Can you provide the link?

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
rydogg said:
Scott,
I checked out your website but didn't see any BS assemblies available. Can you provide the link?
Please PM or email. I havn't had a chance to put it on the site yet.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you have broadband, please PM me as I have a 108 photo slide show of Oilhammer doing a BS gear conversion on BadgerFan's 05 TDI. I really don't want to post the link and I will send you a link if you PM me. The photos were taken by BadgerFan.

This set of images will really tell you that you don't want just anybody other than a first rate shop or guru doing this procedure!

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Since there are a lot of parts being replaced in the BS module upgrade, is it a good idea to do the next oil change at a shorter interval, say 5,000 miles, instead of waiting a full 10,000 miles?

sschnath

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat
Just got a welcome call from the dealer. All my parts are in. Taking the car in at 7:30 Monday morning for timing belt/BS/glow plugs. Expect to pick it up Tuesday night if all goes well.

I'm going to attempt to make an audio recording of the before (it's become quite loud - I can hear it in the cabin now with windows up) and after and I'll post it here, along with the pertinent cost data, sometime next week. Then I'll be sending my letters to NHTSA and VW after that.

I was told that if the glow plugs come out clean, they'll waive the labor on that part of the installation. Fingers crossed.

sschnath

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat
After looking at Leicaman's photos (nice job on the slideshow, BTW), I'm going to make sure they check the motor mounts while they're in there.

Anyone have any idea what the life expectancy of the alternator is? With it all apart and with 200K on the car, I'm wondering if I should have that replaced as well. With what I'm spending, I'd rather wait another 100K if I could but will the alternator make it that far?

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
I'd have the alternator pulley changed out with the new design at this point.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
sschnath said:
After looking at Leicaman's photos (nice job on the slideshow, BTW), I'm going to make sure they check the motor mounts while they're in there.

Anyone have any idea what the life expectancy of the alternator is? With it all apart and with 200K on the car, I'm wondering if I should have that replaced as well. With what I'm spending, I'd rather wait another 100K if I could but will the alternator make it that far?
I want you to make sure to give credit to BadgerFan for the photos. I merely assembled them into a slide show. He should get credit because BadgerFan sports a lighter wallet!

Status
Not open for further replies.