BHW Balance Shaft Module replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineerorange

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
aja8888 said:
FWIW: Get the alternator pulley changed while OH has it apart. My alternator failed at 71K.
Already in the plan, as well as the transmission fluid change, the glow plugs and the engine mounts if it needs them. I am big proponent of doing it all while it's apart. I like to call it "pre-emptive maintenance"

TDI
2005 passat
Done Deal!
Well I got the referances I was looking for! St Louis here I come! Go Cubs,eh?
U-haul dolley is lined up and Im leaving for St Louis on Wed. to get surgery on Thurs.

Thanks to all that responded and especially Passat 2004 for putting this bug in my ear a long time ago.
I know I should frequent this place more.
I will

Tim

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
See you soon. :)

Another one done today...another one in tomorrow.

The one today had an interesting problem. The o-ring on the charge air pipe was blown out, and it had been spewing oil all over for what looked to be many, many miles/months (years?). It had to been doing it since the car was fairly new, because under all the oil filth all the metal parts were like brand new on just that side of the car. The other side had the usual salty Ohio road crusty stuff all over. :cool:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Passat-powerstroke said:
Done Deal!
Well I got the referances I was looking for! St Louis here I come! Go Cubs,eh?
U-haul dolley is lined up and Im leaving for St Louis on Wed. to get surgery on Thurs.

Thanks to all that responded and especially Passat 2004 for putting this bug in my ear a long time ago.
I know I should frequent this place more.
I will

Tim
I am glad you are able to have it fixed before you have a blown motor! My best to you and your car! ;)

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Probably could, but you'd have to have samples from a fixed B5.5 motor. You'd need that to get a sampling that shows what a repaired motor is at. I think in this instance the best is to keep out a keen ear and update when you no longer want to gamble.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
A spectrum analyzer would definitely help. You'd need to compare chain new, chain worn, and chainless. The first one, a chained BHW new, is impossible to find now.

But trust me, the Auricular Spectrum Analyzer Mk I, can clearly hear the difference between a chained and non-chained motor!!! I was skeptical at first until my motor was done.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Trust me the leicaman ears, slightly worn, could hear the difference even on a 57k motor! It plain and simple is not a good design.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Well, a case in point. This morning I am working from my front porch with my laptop (I usually work from home). I thought "I'll make sure I'm out here when Julie goes to work so I can hear the car after the BS repair". We have a long driveway. I wasn't paying attention and I didn't even hear her go down the driveway. I only heard her as she accelerated down the road and only then mostly the sound of the wheels crunching against gravel as it's a dirt road.

I could barely hear the engine. It's quieter than the neighbour's two Jetta 1.9 TDIs (both ALHs).

I've been turned into a BS conversion evangelist :D

passatpete

TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI
oilhammer,
Who much does the BS chain replacement cost, and how long do you have the vehicle in your shop? I assume that a TB replacement is done at the same time? I am thinking about stopping in to see you on a cross country trip next spring. Mine is a 2005 TDI with the BHW engine, currently at 38K.

oilhammer

TDI
The cost of the upgrade, with the timing belt and related parts, is a little over $2900. Many people also get (as prevention OR sometimes they are in fact showing signs of failure) the engine mounts and the alternator pulley. Most everyone also has me flush the ATF while it is here, since I have the lines loose anyways and I have the equipment to do so.

I will only need the car for one day.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
oilhammer said:
After I did ours, the garage door opener is now enough to drown out the sound of the engine. :p
In my garage is our swimming pool pump and filter. I went out to get fuel for it tonight as I'm going on a road trip with it tomorrow and am leaving at 5 am. When I got back I thought that I might like to stand next to it and admire its idle for a few moments.

Waste of time. I could not hear the engine over the din of the pool pump :p

That's a first since the car was almost new.

I now think this car will outlast our B6 2.0T even though the latter only has half the mileage on it (60k miles vs. 113k miles)

volkswagendude

Veteran Member
TDI
None for now...
PlaneCrazy said:
In my garage is our swimming pool pump and filter. I went out to get fuel for it tonight as I'm going on a road trip with it tomorrow and am leaving at 5 am. When I got back I thought that I might like to stand next to it and admire its idle for a few moments.

Waste of time. I could not hear the engine over the din of the pool pump :p

That's a first since the car was almost new.

I now think this car will outlast our B6 2.0T even though the latter only has half the mileage on it (60k miles vs. 113k miles)
Truly inspiring :cool:

To those who used to question the failure rate % as being to low(like myself in the past previous threads), there is also the other side of the story, of how the differences in engine sound has been VERY WELL DOCUMENTED here now by you and others in the past, as to how different and quiet it sounds with the new gear design. Peace of mind and excitement right there :cool:

I might have mine done after all!

oilhammer

TDI
Got one towed in yesterday....180k miles. Man you should hear this thing :eek: .

Guy was too scared to drive it in from Des Plaines, Il. I now know why. Sheesh. Ever accidentally knock a stone into a chipper-shredder? :(

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
oilhammer said:
Got one towed in yesterday....180k miles. Man you should hear this thing :eek: .

Guy was too scared to drive it in from Des Plaines, Il. I now know why. Sheesh. Ever accidentally knock a stone into a chipper-shredder? :(
Autopsy and pictures to follow?

oilhammer

TDI
Tensioner broken in 4 pieces. I believe this car was in its final stages of tooef. They were wise to tow it here. I doubt it would have made it.

This is the worst I have seen that was still able to turn the shafts and oil pump. I gotta start wearing a welmet and safety glasses when I remove the oil pans on these things...chunks hit my face once again. :eek:

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
oilhammer said:
Tensioner broken in 4 pieces. I believe this car was in its final stages of tooef. They were wise to tow it here. I doubt it would have made it.

This is the worst I have seen that was still able to turn the shafts and oil pump. I gotta start wearing a welmet and safety glasses when I remove the oil pans on these things...chunks hit my face once again. :eek:

OH,

It would be great to have a photo/video documententary on this one..... I am still of the opinion in the event of a class action law suit, it may come in handy :)

Or at the very least, send it to Jacoby's email :p , call it "the result of german engineering".....

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Everyone who has monster miles on their B5.5 TDIs I pm or of whom I get PMs from asking about the BS situation, without exception I advise having it towed if it is much beyond 70k. It just seems much past 70k it can become a time bomb depending on how it was driven in that time. It seems highway cars can tolerate waiting longer than cars that are used to tons of starts and stops.

I know that some of you such as BadgerFan drove his all the way to OH with nearly 100k on the clock. That car with 180k sure sounded like it was nearing its fatal moments! Whew! There is one lucky owner....and smart because he had the most experienced BS changover expert work on it.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I had one in here yesterday with 79k and the only way I can describe it was it sounded like a supercharger's belt whine.. It was really bad.. it's as quiet as a church mouse now after the upgrade.. Weird thing was everything looked fine when I pulled the oil pan down, no excessive wear or anything.. Kinda looked just like all the others, but 3X louder.. I was half expecting broken parts to ambush me when I pulled the pan down..

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, it's weird...some noisier than others, some parts "look" fine, some "look" bad, and some are in pieces... go figure.

One thing in common: they ALL had the stupid chain. :(

TheTDIGuy

TDI
05 Passat TDI GLS Shadow Blue/ Grey Leather
oilhammer said:
Yeah, it's weird...some noisier than others, some parts "look" fine, some "look" bad, and some are in pieces... go figure.

One thing in common: they ALL had the stupid chain. :(
Maybe you should bring all the broken/worn/replaced modules to TDI fest for all to see on display? Make us a nice sign that draws attention to the issue, and make sure that all of us who can make it are there. Also a good idea - in my opinion - to point out all the entries in the NHTSA list.

Finally, if we could only get a TV station involved to show how VW is ignoring the problem, and there is a potential for someone to really get hurt or killed in an accident due to a chain failure, well, I think a recall would quickly materialize.

Shouldn't be hard to get an email/letter into a local Virginia/DC TV station to cover the story...

We may not get a chance like this ever again - TDI fest right next to VW HQ, and right when the balance shaft issue is really getting ready to explode (no pun intended).

Thoughts?

Not to be too dramatic here, but we COULD be saving a life if we can push VW hard enough to do something about this issue. There are thousands of owners out there who have no idea about TDIClub, and drive their kids around every day in their ticking time-bombs.

Maybe we put all our cars together with signs on them that say, "time-bomb - just ask VW why". I really feel that together we can get this resolved once and for all. One-by-one calls to VW customer service just isn't going to cut it.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
oilhammer said:
Hehe, maybe at 'fest I can talk to some of these people. :D
I'd make prints of some of the carnage, just to have along in a folder or photo album. Of course you could take your truckful of fail along for further proof! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.