BHW/ALH VE Hybrid...

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I just looked an an ALH I have on a stand. The water pump clocks differently, not sure about the size, but I bet IBW could tell you. The upper roller is in the accessory and pump bracket. Idler is in the head, and the lower roller is, if you follow a horizontal plane, within the bottom of the water pump bore away from the plug

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
A little higher than that roller it appears and smaller in diameter

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Wow, thanks for all the observations, advice and the cjaa picture. I'm not discouraged yet, I welcome the challenge, sounds like fun ! I'll call yards Monday to get prices on the local cjaa core and used bhw pistons.
Ross

looking at the pic in this ^^ post you'll have to drill/tap both lower idle roller holes. It does appear that an ALH front seal holder will bolt right in. You can the chamfer WP hole by carefully sanding with a drum attachment, as long as the bore matches that of an ALH.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I just looked an an ALH I have on a stand. The water pump clocks differently, not sure about the size, but I bet IBW could tell you. The upper roller is in the accessory and pump bracket. Idler is in the head, and the lower roller is, if you follow a horizontal plane, within the bottom of the water pump bore away from the plug
you're right, bolt clocking is different, plus the cjaa water pump hole looks HUGE compared to the ALH pump bore and it appears to protrude much farther out than the ALH.

Ross

TDI
01 Beetle ALH 5speed

looking at the pic in this ^^ post you'll have to drill/tap both lower idle roller holes. It does appear that an ALH front seal holder will bolt right in. You can the chamfer WP hole by carefully sanding with a drum attachment, as long as the bore matches that of an ALH.
Great, this all sounds very encouraging. Thanks so much Jim. By the way I have a 97 Tacoma Parts truck in the woods if you need anything. It's a standard cab 2wd 5 speed.
Ross Converse

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Great, this all sounds very encouraging. Thanks so much Jim. By the way I have a 97 Tacoma Parts truck in the woods if you need anything. It's a standard cab 2wd 5 speed.
Ross Converse
i think you need to read my posts after that...does not look like the cjaa will work at all for a VE setup.

Ross

TDI
01 Beetle ALH 5speed
i think you need to read my posts after that...does not look like the cjaa will work at all for a VE setup.
Okay, I've read through your posts and I admit I'm a bit confused now, I'm sure this is obvious but I don't have any experience with this motor. Could you summarize for me the biggest problems you see that would have to be overcome regarding the front of the motor. I understood about the water pumps being different.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Okay, I've read through your posts and I admit I'm a bit confused now, I'm sure this is obvious but I don't have any experience with this motor. Could you summarize for me the biggest problems you see that would have to be overcome regarding the front of the motor. I understood about the water pumps being different.
looking at the front of the two blocks the cjaa will NOT work as a VE hybrid. Read my previous post about the water pump.

Ross

TDI
01 Beetle ALH 5speed
looking at the front of the two blocks the cjaa will NOT work as a VE hybrid. Read my previous post about the water pump.
Okay thanks for your time and expertise Jim, I'll continue looking for a bhw that I can afford. This is the safe way to go since you've worked it all out so thoroughly.
Have a good weekend,
Ross

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
two more closeups, one of an ALH and one of a cjaa. They don't look terribly different from these angles. Another difference of note is no machined hole for the hard metal pipe. There is a nipple toward the rear of the block that may be for a heater hose. Screenshot_20201024-205738_eBay.jpgnScreenshot_20201024-205908_Chrome.jpg

Ross

TDI
01 Beetle ALH 5speed
a couple of things i would make sure of first. Water pump bore and impeller depth. clocking looks the same. I'm sure you can drill the cjaa for the two rollers.
Thanks for the pictures. Maybe wishful thinking but it sounds like you're still leaving open the idea this might work. Did you notice that I'm going mtdi so I don't need the reluctor or crankshaft sensor?

Ross

TDI
01 Beetle ALH 5speed
Thanks for the pictures. Maybe wishful thinking but it sounds like you're still leaving open the idea this might work. Did you notice that I'm going mtdi so I don't need the reluctor or crankshaft sensor?
I was also thinking if the blocks water pump bore is bigger than the alh water pump, possibly a sleeve could be machined to slip over the water pump to increase its diameter to match the block.

fjdiesel

TDI
76 fj40 w/05 LIberty CRD 2.8L diesel
sweet! i'll be building another bhw/alh hybrid in the not to distant future and i'll amend this thread with new tdiclub hosted photos
Did you end up doing another BHW/ALH build?

Ross

TDI
01 Beetle ALH 5speed
a couple of things i would make sure of first. Water pump bore and impeller depth. clocking looks the same. I'm sure you can drill the cjaa for the two rollers.
Hi folks,
I decided to play it safe and not reinvent the wheel.
I just bought a supposedly good bhw short block from a Pennsylvania yard for $200. I'm going to build a hybrid with my good running alh and keep it electronic and forget the mtdi I'd originally planned.
Thanks for all your help. I feel I've made a wise choice.
Let the fun begin !
Ross

Ross

TDI
01 Beetle ALH 5speed
i have not, but i have all the parts including head studs, four or five ALH heads, and two BHW short blocks.
Hi Jim,
Thanks for sharing all your hard work and innovations with us, I never would have started my alh/bhw hybrid without your detailed instructions.
Ross

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well the core crank part is essentially the same thing, so yes, it will fit just fine. The difference is the tone wheel (which bolts on) and the oil pump drive gear (which presses on).

I do not have the two cranks side by side to compare what else (if anything) may be different about them, though.

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
Well the core crank part is essentially the same thing, so yes, it will fit just fine. The difference is the tone wheel (which bolts on) and the oil pump drive gear (which presses on).

I do not have the two cranks side by side to compare what else (if anything) may be different about them, though.
And the larger rod journals.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Is that different too? I know the rods and rod bearings are different, but I was thinking different design, not also different size. I've dealt with both, just not at the same time, that's why I wasn't sure. The main bearings and main cap bolts are the same, I do know that.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
It seems BHW and ARL rods are dimensionally identical. Not sure which one is 'better', probably the set one has in good condition... LOL

Douglas

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Is that different too? I know the rods and rod bearings are different, but I was thinking different design, not also different size. I've dealt with both, just not at the same time, that's why I wasn't sure. The main bearings and main cap bolts are the same, I do know that.
I think 48 and 51mm rod journals. No difference on the mains... :) Would love one of these 2.0L 'ALH' engines...should probably collect the bits.

Douglas

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Over 200k miles on this hybrid so far. I recently did timing belt #3 along with valve guide seals as it was smoking terribly on startup. The guides were pretty worn but I figure I can get a few more years before swapping in a fresh head.

Ross

TDI
01 Beetle ALH 5speed
Over 200k miles on this hybrid so far. I recently did timing belt #3 along with valve guide seals as it was smoking terribly on startup. The guides were pretty worn but I figure I can get a few more years before swapping in a fresh head.
Wow that's impressive!

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
love this thread! I'm getting near on starting this project.

If I were to keep the ALH block, what can I swap from the bhw block to make it work?
I currently have a spare of both.

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
ARL and BHW do not have the same rods. BHW/CBEA/CJAA do tho, ARL are 16mm thick, and the BHW are 19mm. However the journals are all the same. I have CJAA rods in my Pd150 block, using Pd150 crank and pistons, with an ALH head.

Ross

TDI
01 Beetle ALH 5speed
ARL and BHW do not have the same rods. BHW/CBEA/CJAA do tho, ARL are 16mm thick, and the BHW are 19mm. However the journals are all the same. I have CJAA rods in my Pd150 block, using Pd150 crank and pistons, with an ALH head.
Hi all,
So just to clarify, cjaa rods and crank (with the tone wheel and sprocket swapped) can be used to upgrade alh strength using all the other alh parts. CJAA engine cores are plentiful on carpart.com and there's one in my area.
Thanks, Ross

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Hi all,
So just to clarify, cjaa rods and crank (with the tone wheel and sprocket swapped) can be used to upgrade alh strength using all the other alh parts. CJAA engine cores are plentiful on carpart.com and there's one in my area.
Thanks, Ross
There's no provision on the cjaa or cbea crankshaft for the tone wheel. Also the ALH Pistons will not fit the tapered end rods. You could use BRM Pistons. Or just find a BHW short block.