BHW/ALH VE Hybrid...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I am building a similar engine, except I used an ALH block and bored it out to accomodate the larger BHW pistons. I used the BHW's crank and rods, too, and swapped the chain gear over as well as the tone wheel.

The BGW engine has no balance shafts, and gets bolted to a manual transmission, so I am thinking the heavy DMF helps to smooth things out. So maybe a heavier flywheel would help in a conversion?

My engine will be going into a Golf/Jetta/NB, though, so we'll see how it does.

Another advantage the BHW has is lower CR which makes it easier to run more boost (they already run more than the other PDs).

You have some pics of the engine in your truck?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Do you think its a wise idea to use a gear of an old crank? if you heat it too much to get it off, hardness will drop, which might cause problems at high rpm..

altough this should no be an issue with this mod, but I would be careful when maintainting the balance shaft module and you want to replace the gear on the crank..

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Do you think its a wise idea to use a gear of an old crank? if you heat it too much to get it off, hardness will drop, which might cause problems at high rpm..

altough this should no be an issue with this mod, but I would be careful when maintainting the balance shaft module and you want to replace the gear on the crank..
seeing as how I was carefull not to"overheat" the crank gear (around 260 DF) and the fact that the gears are nowhere in NA ...(i called they were backordered) ...i think it will be fine...

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
260*F is nowhere near the annealing temperature of steel, furthermore for the relatively short time that the part is subjected to that temperature.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Tempering is probably what Rub87 is concerned about, that wouldn't start until at least 400F and the duration would have to be a couple hours I bet.

Jon

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
IIRC manual for the gear installations says to heat it till around 200 degC, and not go over 260 degC at any case..

Altough I also think that you need to heat it quite badly to make it really turn soft, on the other hand, the teeth are quite thin and easily overheated with torch :p

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
IIRC manual for the gear installations says to heat it till around 200 degC, and not go over 260 degC at any case...

Altough I also think that you need to heat it quite badly to make it really turn soft, on the other hand, the teeth are quite thin and easily overheated with torch :p

maybe that's where the confusion is coming from...I heated the gear to 260 DF ...degrees fahrenheit!!:rolleyes: ...not celsius:D ...which according the the trusty online converter about 126 degrees celsius...

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You can get the gears off without heating them. They knock off with an air chisel and a wide flat 'spoon' easily in about 5 seconds. I also have a nice bearing splitter and puller that slides them off quite easily as well. Then I warm them a little in the oven, leave the crank in the freezer overnight, and slide them right in place.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
You can get the gears off without heating them. They knock off with an air chisel and a wide flat 'spoon' easily in about 5 seconds. I also have a nice bearing splitter and puller that slides them off quite easily as well. Then I warm them a little in the oven, leave the crank in the freezer overnight, and slide them right in place.
he he he....yer makin' me hungry...what's for dinner? :D

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
when you give them some affection, like in next to a pizza in the oven, it slides on like if was nothing, few seconds later it's totally tight on the crank.. wish women sat a bit more next to the gears when they were developed :p

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
so how has this been since the last post? i was wondering how your did the ECU or computer system you used to get it to run. i'm thinking about a similar set up but for my MK4 but my brother has been looking into this for a Jeep mod.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
so how has this been since the last post? i was wondering how your did the ECU or computer system you used to get it to run. i'm thinking about a similar set up but for my MK4 but my brother has been looking into this for a Jeep mod.
sorry for the lack of updates....I've put over 7k miles on the engine since the conversion and it runs...well....great!!....I still don't have a tune...still running pp502's with a 12mm pump and a 1749VA passat turbo...I'm currently fitting a GTB1756VK turbo to my "dummy" motor but working on other peoples cars seem to get in the way of my projects:rolleyes: ....as for the management it's basically a stock Y2K jetta engine harness and immob deleted ecm all married to the toyota wiring harness ....the truck has been absolutely trouble free and has very good power for one with no tune....hopefully going to employ vwmikel for a tune and DTC delete in the near future...just want my hardware somewhat finalized to cut down on retunes

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
So Jim hows it working out? As far as I can tell if you didnt convert to an alh pump and used a geared bsm(might be nice on truck to eliminate vibrations) the only mods needed are the holes drilled in the block and the head and injection pump and bracket slapped on ? Im considering converting my b5.5 bhw to a hybrid like this not a big fan of the pd engine.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
So Jim hows it working out? As far as I can tell if you didnt convert to an alh pump and used a geared bsm(might be nice on truck to eliminate vibrations) the only mods needed are the holes drilled in the block and the head and injection pump and bracket slapped on ? Im considering converting my b5.5 bhw to a hybrid like this not a big fan of the pd engine.
Youll need to remove the crank and install an alh crank position sensor tone ring on the crank.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
vibes are not enough to warrant retaining the BSM module ... hardly noticeable

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
as far as updates i've put over 46k miles on the hybrid engine as well as the swap ... zero issues so far with the bhw/alh engine although the swap itself has presented a few easily surmountable glitches along the way

91NCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI manual 282k and 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto 290k
Saw in person with truck few weeks ago and it look great with all his skills mods and sound amazing! :D

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
An ALH head will bolt onto all of the PD motors, Though if the BEW has BEW pistons, the valves will hit piston crowns as BEW pistons have no valve reliefs. Crank position sensor wheel will need to be changed, as well as timing belt crank pulley and seal carrier.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Do you happen to know if an alh head would fit either a bew or brm block?
yes, but as oldpoopie stated above the BEW pistons are a nogo unless you machine them for valve reliefs... the brm "could" work but the cps is pulled from the rear seal assembly and not from a crank mounted reluctor wheel as in previous PD's ... and it's signal may not be compatible at all with the edc15 hardware ... talk to your tuner on that one... now if you're going all mechanical then the BRM block would work fine, just slap an ALH head on it with the correct gasket and go

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
just a short update, over 85k miles since swapping this engine into my truck back in march 2011 ... five years of daily driving fun/function (it puts the fun in function) ;).... only real changes to the motor: a set of ARP's and a bv43 turbo upgrade ... had it mustang dynoed last year in vegas, results: 166 whp and 273 wtq pushing through 32" tall wranglers