BHW/ALH VE Hybrid...

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Decided to post this here as it can translate to FWD cars although the engine is going in my tacoma http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=293577 ....I was going to put an ALH in the truck but as fate had it I happened upon a killer deal for a BHW shortblock so I snapped it up and had to go 2.0 :D ....as you may have guessed it's not a direct swap by any means...the BHW has a BS module and no provision for the lower small idle roller...it does however have the threaded hole for the large idle roller....on this hybrid I'm eliminating the BS module and adding a hole for the lower small roller (among other things neccesary for the swap)

1601613422479.png
the beast :)

1601613387177.png
pulling the BS crank drive gear from the BHW crank in preparation to install the ALH oil pump drive gear

1601613463929.png
dang thing was tight...but after some heated persuasion here it is

1601613527539.png
OK getting the ALH crank sprocket off was a total PITA!...heat and lots of pressure on the puller...BANG!!...it came off

here's a vid of the crank gear install...looks like I really didn't need the hammer:rolleyes:

1601613591210.png
the front seal holders...ALH on left BHW on right....to use the ALH four new holes have to be drilled in the block...the lowest two holes and the dowels already line up

1601613646737.png
using a transfer punch to mark the four hole locations on the BHW block for the ALH lower seal holder

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
1601613974278.png
removing the PD/BHW reluctor wheel...ALH four slot will go in it's place

1601614029662.png
crankless BHW awaiting its reward :)...one thing I had originally planned was to just swap in an ALH crank...much to my surprise the BHW has much larger rod journals...like .200" larger :eek: ....good thing the rod bearings and crank were in great shape!!

1601614093441.png
to correctly locate the hole for the lower small idle roller I made a template from aluminum flashing...I used the water pump bolt holes and the 7mm mt. tab on the opposite side of the block as reference points....then I tapped the flashing with a small ball peen over the idler hole on the ALH block to make an impression (see the dimple)

1601614151316.png
then I transferred the template to the BHW block and used a center punch to punch through the center of the impression left by the ball peen....this shows a block of AL I'm using as a guide to make sure my hole is square...you can just see the center punch mark above the scribed line on the aluminum block

Last edited:

mlemorie

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Very cool! Im going to keep an eye on this, as this may end up being a slightly easier route than swapping the ALH to my chevette, seeing as how the BHW is already a blockside starter. I was going to get my hands on a junked tranny and cut the bellhousing off, and get that welded to a T5 bellhousing section so I could use a G60 wheel, and then just find a properly splined clutch disc. What transmission are you going to use with this?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Very cool! Im going to keep an eye on this, as this may end up being a slightly easier route than swapping the ALH to my chevette, seeing as how the BHW is already a blockside starter. I was going to get my hands on a junked tranny and cut the bellhousing off, and get that welded to a T5 bellhousing section so I could use a G60 wheel, and then just find a properly splined clutch disc. What transmission are you going to use with this?
BHW and ALH have essentially the same external block mounting points...so your ALH will work just as good...the only advantage of this is I got it cheap and it's ever so slightly larger displacement...you can use a passat bell I suppose and weld that section to your t5 but you won't be able to use a G60 flywheel as that has the wrong ring gear orientation for a block side starter....as for my swap, I'm using the tacoma trans with a 22r bell housing and an ACME adapter plate...check out my thread in conversions http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=293577 ...I think this and other threads in the swap forums will be of more help to you than this one.... good luck!

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
1601614222622.png
hole drilled....see the dimple deep in the hole? I ran into the water jacket and the dimple is the outside of cylinder #1 ...still enough material to tap

1601614258788.png
tapping the hole with a bottoming tap

1601614296467.png
because the stud wanted to bottom on the cylinder I had to grind off about 1 1/2 threads

1601614342705.png
using a feeler gauge throught the WP hole and checking between the stud and cylinder wall to make sure the tightened stud did not bind/deform the cylinder

1601614391617.png
installed with loctite and tightened :)

1601614441027.png
tapping the 7x1 holes for the ALH front seal holder

1601614497102.png
holes completed

1601614550343.png
ALH seal holder in place

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
1601614655143.png another issue was the ALH windage tray/oil drainback funnel ...the plastic cast in locating dowel was in the wrong place for the BHW block and had to be trimmed flush

1601614690044.png
so I dug through the fittings drawer and came up with a 1/2" pex coupler just the right diameter for a locating dowel :)

1601614828966.png
had to couterbore the drainback hole in the block with a step bit (9/16") so the shoulder of the fitting would be flush with the pan mounting surface

1601614884710.png
"fragment collection"

1601614919985.png
fitting in counterbored hole before being trimmed to fit the windage tray/drainback funnel

1601615008504.png
shortened fitting installed in counterbored hole

Attachments

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
1601616457392.png
ALH oil pump and windage tray installed...make sure to use the plastic ALH oil pump locating dowels...the BHW block is already counterbored for the dowels...also the chain tension spring fits neatly inside a threaded hole in the block...on the ALH it just rests on the block between the main cap and crank webbing

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
One final mod I ran into was the accessory bracket had to be trimmed where it met the front lower block near the pan...the BHW has some extra material there and I trimmed some webbing away from the bracket...sorry no pics...I took em' but can't find em':(

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Jim, I dont think you'll have any significant vibration. O.C.Tdi bored his out to 2.0 and is fine...

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
OK engine is/was running....had zero:( oil pressure and had to shut it down... didn't take long to figure out the culprit....I left the balance shaft feed galley unplugged:eek: and all the oil pressure was going straight back into the pan through the 8mm galley...no damage done but still sucks...my fix involved removing the oil filter housing and pressing a modified 8mm bolt shank and head into the galley lead (using just the right amount of grey sealer of course):D ....damn!! ...this would have been much easier if I took my time on the engine assembly....I'll reassemble manana and go for a test drive...If/when I pull the engine back out I'll be drilling/tapping the bottom of the galley (at the bottom of the block) and filling with a 1/8 pipe plug...for now I'm confident in my patch

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
At least you caught the oil pressure fast! I'm sure it'll be great manana, you'll be grinning ear to ear from your frankenmotor!

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
very cool thread. thanks for sharing. Wish I would of seen it sooner, might of been able to spot the oil problem for you, as I had to find that out switching to dry sump as well.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
very cool thread. thanks for sharing. Wish I would of seen it sooner, might of been able to spot the oil problem for you, as I had to find that out switching to dry sump as well.
Ha...me too...I knew you would look at this and say "how could he have missed that?" ...I actually spied on your swap thread last night for pics of the balance shaft assembly to help me figure my next move:D

Last edited:

TDIinTexas

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI
I just hope others can use the info I'm posting here...
I'm following your lead, thanks for the info. Its funny when we started talking about doing this, this thread popped up the next day. I have a BHW short block, rostens on the way, and trying to find some oversized BHW pistons to put in. Mine will be coupled to an 02M.

If anyone is sitting on a source for pistons, please speak up.

David

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I'm following your lead, thanks for the info. Its funny when we started talking about doing this, this thread popped up the next day. I have a BHW short block, rostens on the way, and trying to find some oversized BHW pistons to put in. Mine will be coupled to an 02M.

If anyone is sitting on a source for pistons, please speak up.

David
yup...make sure you plug that galley:rolleyes: ...ha ha...yah I know what ya' mean...the 100th monkey effect...if I could just come up with that million dollar idea before the other 99 monkeys:D....BTW...I got it up and running this morning...and it sounds *****en!!...but I'm sure it has more to do with the open air filter and the short 3" exhaust than the extra .1 litre :cool:

TDIinTexas

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI
yup...make sure you plug that galley:rolleyes: ...ha ha...yah I know what ya' mean...the 100th monkey effect...if I could just come up with that million dollar idea before the other 99 monkeys:D....BTW...I got it up and running this morning...and it sounds *****en!!...but I'm sure it has more to do with the open air filter and the short 3" exhaust than the extra .1 litre :cool:
Theres more to BHW than just .1L

David

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
yah...I guess the potential is greater than an ALH due to the better piston cooling, lower CR, larger rod journals etc....but probably be way beyond anything I could utilize...what kind of power can a stock BHW lower end handle? "cracked" rods and all?
I dont think I would be scared of 250HP/380tq with ARP stud kit and right sized injectors for a tight injection duration. I know people could go more if one likes to live on the dangerous side of things. :D Its a matter of long term reliability and greater chance of failure. When I pulled my BHW apart, the rod bearings and mains looked almost new still..that was after 90K of mashing the pedal every corner I turned, and running 1/2 of those miles with way to much fuel duration.
Back to the rest of your thread..I like that you (and now others) devised a new way to mix and match to get what you wanted. The interchangability options with the TDI series of engines is very large. For example, I now run a BEW crank with a CBEA BS Gear, BEW rods, CBEA BS assembly, BHW pistons. Its a long story that ended in driving at 210kph on a fresh built engine :p

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I dont think I would be scared of 250HP/380tq with ARP stud kit and right sized injectors for a tight injection duration. I know people could go more if one likes to live on the dangerous side of things. :D Its a matter of long term reliability and greater chance of failure. When I pulled my BHW apart, the rod bearings and mains looked almost new still..that was after 90K of mashing the pedal every corner I turned, and running 1/2 of those miles with way to much fuel duration.
Back to the rest of your thread..I like that you (and now others) devised a new way to mix and match to get what you wanted. The interchangability options with the TDI series of engines is very large. For example, I now run a BEW crank with a CBEA BS Gear, BEW rods, CBEA BS assembly, BHW pistons. Its a long story that ended in driving at 210kph on a fresh built engine :p
Holy Cow!! ...wow I'm just looking for 160-175....OK lots of cushion there :).....I'm guessing you went with a BEW crank to utilize aftermarket rods?...ohh wait...you used BEW rods?...those are cracked as well!! ...that's confidence...so many peeps talk crap about the crack ....fine for my needs however....it's funny how the VW engines are very lego like....but the mixing and matching goes on with almost every make....my pop messes with old fords and once built a home made boss 302 using the standard small block bottom end and cleveland heads...with the boss intake....some machine work was required....but you want what ya' want!! :D

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
So with the info in this thread, I can easily eliminate the balance shaft module on a bhw with an alh oil pump and chain, drive gear off a busted crank, an alh front seal retainer, and a 1/8" pipe plug? Sounds pretty sweet.

Was there a fitment issue with the bhw seal retainer?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
So with the info in this thread, I can easily eliminate the balance shaft module on a bhw with an alh oil pump and chain, drive gear off a busted crank, an alh front seal retainer, and a 1/8" pipe plug? Sounds pretty sweet.

Was there a fitment issue with the bhw seal retainer?
yup....still have to drive to see how the vibration levels play out...but it would be an apples and oranges comparo to a B5.5 as I'm using a totally different chassis (toy) mounts etc, etc...you get the pictures:D....as far as the seal issue if you're retaining the PD/BHW head you don't have to change your front seal holder at all as it will accommodate the ALH OP drive sprocket with ease....if you are going with an ALH head...you can either drill tap the block for the four holes that don't line up or you can have the BHW seal holder front side milled down (it's stepped) to match the ALH seal holder depth (remember the two engines use different timing belt widths)....I considered going this route but opted for an option I had the tools for....if the BHW and ALH had the same belt tooth profile I would have milled the PD seal holder because this would have allowed me to use the PD crank lock tool:rolleyes:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
a short update...

well I've been driving the truck about every day since the swap and I must say I'm impressed with the engine...not that .1 litre will make that much difference in "feel" but the combo of pump/injectors/turbo seem to work well together ...current config is 12mm pump, pp502 injectors, BHW 1749va, and stock tune....normal cruising light load vibes are very livable ....vibes at idle are noticable but not uncomfortable...it's when you're under moderate to heavy load and somewhere between 1800 and 2300 that you really notice vibration...just a little reminder to keep the revs up under load I guess:rolleyes: ....it feels like torque climbs very quickly from 1800 up to about 2600rpm and then flattens out all the way to 4200 (i really haven't pushed it farther) ....smoke is very very light (my beetle smokes more with sprints and rcII) ....and I returned 31.7 mpg the other day...overall very very happy with the engine/truck:) ...just alot more buttoning up to do!!