BHW 5 speed conversion; a great experience!

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
jonlowe, I have a small laptop with VAGCOM on it that is very useful for taking out in an auto. I guess I'll have to load XP on it anyhow in order to use the newer RossTech programs...
Yes this forum is really good for the sort of info you need for almost any job, but if you just like to read-up on everything BEFORE you need to know, a book is nice to have. All my OLD books have lots of notes in the margins, etc.
(AND corrections where needed!)

Milage: at the moment the computer is reporting 42-43 mpg but that is just around town. I hope after a trip I'm taking this coming weekend across the state I'll be able to report better as to what the REAL traveling milage will be. I have been getting used to the bigger engine and the "different" gearbox. The engine rpms are lower for each speed than in the 96 Passat and the 2000 Jetta. The 2.0 liter engine can run at 1500-1600 rpm in 5th without complaining, on the level. No so with the 1.9 liter engines.

While anyone is reading, is there any way to get the instrument panel lights to operate without having the MAIN light switch 'ON'? It is very hard to read the dials under certain sunlight conditions. With ALL the other creature-comforts in this car, "You'dathunk they would have noticed this and FIXED it!"
(I put youdathunk in quotes since whenever that thought comes up, it is usually about something SO OBVIOUSLY LACKING that is a pain.)

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Highline TDI sedan
I do not think the paper version of the manual was ever updated to include the BHW diesel information. So if you still want the factory-type manual, the Bentley DVD version seems the only way.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I used both the paper Bentley and DVD Bentley. BTW it does show phantom lines for the wiring diagrams for the clutch wiring which is what I follow to wire up the interlock and cruise switches for the clutch switches.

For the 3 position light switch you can use the Euro-switch which is a plug and play found here:
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES8602/

biopete

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta 1998, A4 Jetta 2001
What manual transmissions work in these B5 's . I have one sitting in my garage from a 1998 Jetta TDI that got drowned in a flood.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
012 or 01E. No go on Jetta gearbox

biopete

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta 1998, A4 Jetta 2001
Ah, right, duh. The engine is turned sideways on this thing :) . Thanks. Sounds fun. I'm definitely doing it when my tranny goes out. Or someone wants a good automatic. Mine was just rebuilt.

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon, 5 speed conversion, GBSM
I agree that the dash is not the easiest to see in the daytime, particularly with sunglasses on. I find the LCD portions particularly hard to see. I am going to get a Euro headlite switch as Vwztips suggests, and see if that helps.

Jon

While anyone is reading, is there any way to get the instrument panel lights to operate without having the MAIN light switch 'ON'? It is very hard to read the dials under certain sunlight conditions. With ALL the other creature-comforts in this car, "You'dathunk they would have noticed this and FIXED it!"
(I put youdathunk in quotes since whenever that thought comes up, it is usually about something SO OBVIOUSLY LACKING that is a pain.)

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Expect to pay about $700-800 shipped for a bare transaxle, more if you want all the fixin's.
QUOTE]

Be careful about throwing prices out. At one time this may have been true, but currently prices are significantly higher than that and service level has not been very good. :eek:

grynchTDI

TDI
Looking for V10 Treg, had 96 B4V Passa t Wagon
I used to have a B4 wagon with the manual tranny and after a clutch upgrade - loved it. I'm looking to buy a high mileage B5 - and convert it. I now live in California - who would you recommend that I get to do it? Thanks Greg

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
I used to have a B4 wagon with the manual tranny and after a clutch upgrade - loved it. I'm looking to buy a high mileage B5 - and convert it. I now live in California - who would you recommend that I get to do it? Thanks Greg
Matt Phelan.

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi all, recently just did the 5 speed conversion on my wagon. I noticed the vibration level is higher than before, just wonder if that's the way it is. It's occurs more as rpm goes up ... idles fine. Any cents would help ... thanks
I really haven't noticed any difference in vibration. Vwztips didn't change the subframe, but used a different combination of mounts to keep the stock one. The car had also had the engine mounts replaced previously, so that may be a difference. I find things as smooth as before.

Jon

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Make sure your engine mounts are new and the latest VW revision (no aftermarket units). Also check your tranny mounts.

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Highline TDI sedan
Engine mounts on the TDI are liquid-filled and different than V6 or 1.8T Passat models. Aftermarket mounts are likely not the correct ones for the TDI, and could be the source of additional vibration. I replaced my original (248k KM) mounts in September with VW originals and can tell there is a slight improvement.

Tranny mounts are worth replacing at the same time. Again, verify if TDI ones are different than the gasoline models...

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I had replaced new engine mount pior the conversion. But they are aftermarket, are the aftermarket mounts causing the vibration?. I was battling with the idle vibration with the auto ... It was a combination of axles and mounts. It reduced the vibration a lot when replaced them.
Got to check the tranny mount.
Thanks

It really is a roll of the dice. Some aftermarket sellers are just a reboxer of parts or the actual OE manufacturer. Others just make and sell crap. I recently rolled the dice on some Corteco transmission mounts for my Passat and it turns out they are really a factory VW mount with the logo ground off. Looked identical to the mounts I was replacing except for the originals were kind of smooshed and were cracked.

But regarding the engine mounts, be sure you have a right and left. There are two different part numbers, but the look physically the same. Having the same part on both sides could possibly cause the vibrations.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
It really is a roll of the dice. Some aftermarket sellers are just a reboxer of parts or the actual OE manufacturer. Others just make and sell crap. I recently rolled the dice on some Corteco transmission mounts for my Passat and it turns out they are really a factory VW mount with the logo ground off. Looked identical to the mounts I was replacing except for the originals were kind of smooshed and were cracked.

But regarding the engine mounts, be sure you have a right and left. There are two different part numbers, but the look physically the same. Having the same part on both sides could possibly cause the vibrations.

Funny you say that, I bought a new left and right mount from dealer. Neither box had been opened. Had the correct left and right part # on the boxes. However the factory had put a left mount in each box. There actually is a difference in the way they look, plus the right has a plastic/rubber shield on it.

I looked at the Corteco right side engine mount and it was significantly different in appearance than the VW OEM unit. Didn't want to try it and not like it, and since it is the most difficult one to swap, I sent it back and got the VW unit.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Funny you say that, I bought a new left and right mount from dealer. Neither box had been opened. Had the correct left and right part # on the boxes. However the factory had put a left mount in each box. There actually is a difference in the way they look, plus the right has a plastic/rubber shield on it.
I didn't compare the new units and I forgotten to mention it has a shield on the right side, but looking at my old originals without the shield they look identical.

I looked at the Corteco right side engine mount and it was significantly different in appearance than the VW OEM unit. Didn't want to try it and not like it, and since it is the most difficult one to swap, I sent it back and got the VW unit.
Yep, hit or miss with aftermarket. I too have OE VW replacement engine mounts.
I do know Corteco is basically a reboxer with some of their own built stuff. Hence I did the gamble, but I would of done the same to return them if they didn't look right.
When in doubt, get the true VW part.

TDI
2004 PASSAT
Awesome! I am doing a swap now. What tranny did you get? I'm getting a five speed but think its off a 1.8 passat. Any advice on the ecu? Trying to figure that out now....

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
That trans is geared all wrong for a TDI. I got a Euro GGB TDI box. Requires a reflash of ecu plus other programming.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
Well I just had AAA give me and my car a ride home off the highway. I just installed a new turbo from Frans last Fall.
I knew this was on the horizon and will now ponder over the swap. I'm not sure how much the job entails as far as technical expertise goes. I have done a head gasket and replaced a cracked piston last summer.
Now I'll have to wrap my head around this. Does anyone have a decent write up on this?
Just out of curiosity how did the tranny finally take a dump. Mine was cruising on highway 70mph got on throttle and revs hand just flew up. No traction, no pull as if someone just Put it in neutral. Is this the normal mode of expiration or could it possibly be the TCM problem?
I did notice all the PRDN123 on dash light up. Time to start gathering the pieces

NoelMcC

TDI
2005 Tdi Wagon; 81 Vanagon Subaru conversion.
Could you supply me with the part numbers of the clutch kit, I'm doing a 05 wagon .
Thanks

jonlowe

Veteran Member
TDI
Auto Parts Warehouse Valeo kit 52285615. Look under a 1.8 liter Passat.