BHW 2004 Passat alignment question

chickenfriend

TDI
2004 Passat BHW
I need an alignment on my 2004 BHW 5.5 Passat.

The bottom loop tab on the passanger side engine mount/subframe support bracket is broken off. This is the bottom loop which takes the alignment pin.

Do I need the loop for an alignment? I could either JB weld the piece back on, or order a used or new bracket if I have to.

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
It's just the engine mount bracket that's missing the loop, and not the subframe itself? It should be possible to center the subframe without the shop fussing too much over where the engine mount bracket sits in relation. For the most part I would expect them to move together anyway.

Also, a lot of shops might not even touch the subframe, and just set toe.

chickenfriend

TDI
2004 Passat BHW
Thanks.

It is the "motor mount bracket" which has the broken loop, that cast aluminum piece.

After I was trying to get the holes a little better lined up for the alignment pin on that side (striving for perfection), after a BSD, I broke off that tab in a prying effort.

I don't know anything about the alignment before the BSD, but after the BSD, it chewed up some new tires in short order with wear on the extreme innermost area of the both front tires. I didn't pick up on it until it was to late to save the tires.

chickenfriend

TDI
2004 Passat BHW
Well, thinking about this some more, since the alignment pins were going in on both sides before I broke the tab on the right side, I would think that is good enough and that, like you suggested, only toe adjustment is needed.

I can pick up a used bracket pretty cheap and probably should get one to put in my parts inventory for the future.

Have to wonder, though, if the camber is off and moving the subframe is the only way to adjust it, then wouldn't the alignment pins in place be in the way of making that adjustment?

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
Well, thinking about this some more, since the alignment pins were going in on both sides before I broke the tab on the right side, I would think that is good enough and that, like you suggested, only toe adjustment is needed.

I can pick up a used bracket pretty cheap and probably should get one to put in my parts inventory for the future.

Have to wonder, though, if the camber is off and moving the subframe is the only way to adjust it, then wouldn't the alignment pins in place be in the way of making that adjustment?
Yeah, the only way to adjust camber is to shift the subframe from side to side, so I have no idea if an alignment shop would even use alignment pins. If it's not off by much, it shouldn't affect tire wear anyway, as toe affects tire wear significantly more than camber (unless the camber is at pretty extreme angles)