BHW/01E 6 Speed Swap

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Audi A4 Avant quattro w/BHW TDI & 01E 6-speed
There's a lot of slop in the OEM shifter. It's in the bushings at the end of each rod, the slide bushings at the shifter base, and the plastic shifter pivot itself. Just changing the bushing at the end of one rod won't do much.

That slop isn't necessarily a bad thing, it makes it easier to get the shifter into the desired gear without having to be very precise.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
That slop isn't necessarily a bad thing, it makes it easier to get the shifter into the desired gear without having to be very precise.
This is what I have found. Might need to adjust the shifter again. I actually couldn't get reverse when I first put it in. Was so mad as I had just done months of work on the trans swap, suspension refresh, and brake upgrades. Ends up, I didn't trim enough to install the solid shifter linkage.

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Audi A4 Avant quattro w/BHW TDI & 01E 6-speed
This is what I have found. Might need to adjust the shifter again. I actually couldn't get reverse when I first put it in. Was so mad as I had just done months of work on the trans swap, suspension refresh, and brake upgrades. Ends up, I didn't trim enough to install the solid shifter linkage.
Oh man, I spent literally HOURS getting the trim *just right* to get all the gears to line up. I thought I had it perfect, but I wasn't hitting reverse properly. It was going into reverse, but not hitting the reverse switch to turn on the lights. I wasted more time diagnosing the reverse wiring. Turns out the shifter trim just needed a tiny bit more adjusting. Once I had it set perfect, it felt amazing.

It kinda feels like this:

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
So after a month of driving the Corrado since I got back from Germany I decided to finally fix the Passat. $2 of delrin, machined in the lathe in my basement and a bit of elbow grease (literally!).

I'm pretty surprised with how much gear and engine noise I hear now. It's annoying enough I am considering a slightly softer material. Mind you I am missing the cover that sits under the gear shift boot. It might also be that I used made the bushing 1 piece out of lazyness and used a big washer on the top side. V2.0 when I have more time and I'll provide the measurements for everyone. Shifter feels better than ever, but the Corrado sounds so much cooler :)

Last edited:

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
4.5 years later....Let me say I have thoroughly enjoyed this car. It has performed almost flawlessly with the 6 speed and was a real pleasure to drive.

I've decide the body is too far gone for me to bother fixing. I'm not even sure I need a diesel anymore with my shorter drives. Its hardly done 10K/year for the past 2 years! Depending what I find to replace it with, it may get parted or sold complete. I'm thinking the replacement will be something all wheel drive.
I still have a brand new DMF and Sachs racing clutch (240mm) on the shelf I never needed. So once I find a replacement this will likely be for sale as well.

It was fun while it lasted...Damn Ontario winters!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I've been fighting the rust on mine as well. Just replaced the driver's door with a clean used shell in the same colour.

Have to tackle the driver's side rear 1/4 panel dogleg next - it's about the only panel that was not repaired or replaced under the rust warranty. :D

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Mine has rust in the pillars (getting bad) and other places so it wasn't worth bothering to get the fenders and door done. I might have found a replacement AWD wagon to swap my motor into though :)

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
auto (for now). W8 Wagon is a unicorn, W8 Wagon 6 speed manual is a pink unicorn!

I'll see if I can get the coffee table past my wife :) But it sounds sooooo goooood! Think I'll have to gut the rear mufflers in preparation for a TDI.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
So this actually happened over the weekend....I'll start a new thread when I decide what I'm going to do with it. Trans is dead (go figure....)

Last edited:

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
AWESOME WRITE UP! Curious if anybody knows somebody that provides This Kit. or the main components of the kit. What are my options for Manual conversions in an 05 Passat Im much more familiar with the 1.9 TDI 02J situation.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
AWESOME WRITE UP! Curious if anybody knows somebody that provides This Kit. or the main components of the kit. What are my options for Manual conversions in an 05 Passat Im much more familiar with the 1.9 TDI 02J situation.
There is no "Kit" for the 01E conversion. The 6-speed has a higher than acceptable failure rate on the pinion bearing inside the gearbox, and as such vendors are reluctant to sell them for fear of unhappy customers returning their purchase / claiming warranty.

For a less variable conversion process, procure a 5-speed tdi transmission.

RyanP and Frans both sell kits, Ryan is in the UK, and Frans I believe is in the Netherlands. Both have good reviews from purchasers on this site.

There are numerous 5-speed conversion threads in the B5 forum. Easy to find with a little searching.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
6 speed has been great for me, I'd probably go that route if I were to do it again. My clutch actually bedded in and has been fine for the past 100k with the milder tune (22psi). I never ended up using the stage 2 setup. We even hauled a enclosed cargo trailer 3000k last Christmas. You're limited to 228mm with the 5 speed.

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
2.0 TDI CR SWAP ALWAYS FOR SALE
Hello yall,

Anybody know what flange would be compatible with both the DVZ transmission diff but also some 108mm flanges?

right now I have in my hands a set of 108mm flanges but the stubs axles that goes into the diff is smaller thus not engage into the diff side

Any help appreciated :) wanted to go to a show this week end and i'm bummed hope I can still make it happen

thanks guys

Greg

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Sorry if I missed it somewhere but is it a Quattro gearbox? If so, what code?

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
$2500 CAD ($2000 USD) without new clutch and flywheel for those who have asked. I can reuse those my my next AWD project.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
CAN log in and 16955 flashing glow

FIXED! ecm 94/65, ws/ro had gotten pushed out of the connector... code cleared and all switch positions in vcds are good to go :)

auto>manual 01E six speed, all mechanical completed, wiring to pin 43, ecm reflashed to manual, ecm and abs recoded as per https://malonetuning.com/passat-bhw-manual-vcds-howto ... i need the log in to recode the can bus, and has anyone run in to this persistent 16955 brake switch F implausible signal code? i'm reading both brake and clutch switch in vcds, bulbs are all working and the right type, new brake switch, voltage where it needs to be... been on this for a few days and need help asap! ... TIA!

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Which ABS do you have? 5.3 or 5.7?