BHW/01E 6 Speed Swap

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
And I need to replace my engine mounts.

Went to the wreckers today and got the clutch switch. Gonna try and get that and the reverse lights working this weekend.

I think the chattering in the clutch is actually fuel related. The fuel in the car is from June. I'm running down the tank so that I can get a tank of mostly new fuel. I'll let you know how the clutch grabs after.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
A couple things to add:

1) replaced the transmission mounts with the proper part# for a manual transmission:

The one old one sat about 1/8" lower than the new. This is likely part of the reason:

Also took the time to figure out which pins in the autobox's range selector switch work the reverse lights: (pins 7&8 - the ones with the jumper)

Haven't actually hooked up the lamps yet, but at least I know where to run the wires. :D

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
My swap came with mounts, so I used them. Never checked any P/N's though. They are getting soft enough to replace. I've got a clunk once in awhile on hard decel or shifts.

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
Interesting that in my swap apparently only auto tranny mounts fit (the W8 was an auto). Now, I did not do the swap and there is a lot I don't understand... I had my mechanic replace both motor and tranny mounts and he told me this. he tried the manual ones first.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
A couple things to add:

Also took the time to figure out which pins in the autobox's range selector switch work the reverse lights: (pins 7&8 - the ones with the jumper)

Haven't actually hooked up the lamps yet, but at least I know where to run the wires. :D
You have the correct pin #'s for the reverse. The plug for the reverse switch is part #443-906-235 and the rubber boot for the plug is part #443-906-102D. The wires go into pin positions 2 and 3 on the reverse switch plug.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Two updates - finished wiring up the reverse lamp switch and now they work - interesting enough , the 6 speed has a two prong switch - part # for the connector is 1J0 973 702. If you have some old brake pads lying around, it is the same connector as the wear indicator connector.

Also (not really related to the trans swap) replaced the engine mounts with OEM.

The mounts look to be identical (minus one comes with a heat/dust boot) but have different part numbers.

The replacement, plus the previously replaced trans mounts, plus adjusting the whole powertrain forward in the mounting slots has made the vibrations from my BSM-deleted BHW acceptable.

It's still louder around 2000rpm (doesn't matter which gear, and it did this with the auto as well) but quite within what I would call normal having driven all manner of VW four banger oil-burners.

The get-up and go with the Malone tune is fun. :D

Spring1898

Veteran Member
How is the clutch situation with the 6 speed conversion?
Is there a definitive solution yet?

Last edited:

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I've put 54K on mine now, and the upgraded clutch is still sitting on the shelf. I had boost turned down to 22 PSI when it started slipping last year and it's been ok since.

Bushing seems to be good in Windex's car. We figure I have a few mm of engagement on the shaft, but will change the bushing with the longer one when it's apart.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I have the Darkside clutch: http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....ssat-audi-a4-audi-a6-1-9-2-0-tdi-6-speed.html

The same one that Uberhare is going to install - Mine is a bit choppy on take-up. It likes more of a firm engagement, rather than trying to feather a soft take-up.

Has not slipped at all.

There is also Whitbread clutch on an SMF with a softly spring disc: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=376125.

It has the advantage that it uses the stock starter, doesn't require the 5.5mm spacer or any special pilot bearing.

Last edited:

Spring1898

Veteran Member
I think Whitbread is still working on getting the details finalized last I heard.
The clutch is really the only thing holding me back from going 6 speed.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Thanks for posting all this info and pictures. Helps alot with my conversion.

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
I have the Darkside clutch: http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....ssat-audi-a4-audi-a6-1-9-2-0-tdi-6-speed.html

The same one that Uberhare is going to install - Mine is a bit choppy on take-up. It likes more of a firm engagement, rather than trying to feather a soft take-up.
I have the same Darkside clutch setup on my 6sp also, and have the same choppy takeup. I was hoping it would go away over time, but 10k later it is still the same.
It is not really an issue, it just likes a quick engagement. It is just annoying if you try to creep up a slope/driveway in 1st, it pulses.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Mine has about 5000km on it now, and It has settled down a fair bit.

It "likes" a more firm/quick engagement. Slower takeup requires more RPM to be smooth. If you release the pedal faster, then it doesn't shudder at all.

It doesn't like "feathering" as much as most clutches I have driven.

However, since it's more of a performance clutch rated to hold 370FtLbs, it's in line with other performance clutches I have felt.

I work with heavy trucks as part of my Job - not sure where your comment comes from? Aside from a more stiffly sprung pedal, truck clutches (Eaton Solos mostly) engage smooth enough.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Do you know how much the clutch weighs? (For everything, flywheel, disc, and pressure plate)

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
Do you know how much the clutch weighs? (For everything, flywheel, disc, and pressure plate)
Mine weighed 38.05 lbs. That is for Luk 240mm DMF, SRE Pressure Plate, and SRE solid disc. As sold by Ryan in the link above.

Spring1898

Veteran Member
Mine has about 5000km on it now, and It has settled down a fair bit.

It "likes" a more firm/quick engagement. Slower takeup requires more RPM to be smooth. If you release the pedal faster, then it doesn't shudder at all.

It doesn't like "feathering" as much as most clutches I have driven.

However, since it's more of a performance clutch rated to hold 370FtLbs, it's in line with other performance clutches I have felt.

I work with heavy trucks as part of my Job - not sure where your comment comes from? Aside from a more stiffly sprung pedal, truck clutches (Eaton Solos mostly) engage smooth enough.
Well Commercial trucks are a whole different ball game, but in essence, the normal clutches used in trucks are smooth enough. The upgraded aftermarket clutches are obviously designed to hold more torque without slipping. As a result they tend to "grab and hold" a lot more during take up rather than "slide" into full contact, which when hauling is very helpful. So it sounds more or less what you are describing.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I don't know if it's wearing in, or I'm just getting used to it, but the chatter/chuggle is pretty well gone now.

I do have to take a bit more care in engaging the clutch, and every so often it will chug backing into a parking spot, but I'm quite happy with it now.

Spring1898

Veteran Member
That sounds like something I could deal with. If Whitbread has his new solution done by then great, but if not, at least there haven't been any problems with this clutch.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No reason why it shouldn't - but you would need to measure the ID (21mm on my BHW) of the hole in the crank, and the OD of the input shaft (15mm on my 01E) on your 5-speed. As it is, I plan to put a thin washer behind the top hat of my bushing for a total of 9.5 mm of shaft engagement - just shy of the 10mm the factory bearing provides.

If, for some reason your measurements are different, I think that simplybearings.uk makes oillite bushings in almost every size imaginable. If you don't see what you need, send them an email.
Thanks for the crank measurements. Used it to decide if a stock pilot bearing would work for my 5-speed. I did a quick check to see if the 23mm was the same on my engine too (it was supposed to be and it was). In my case a stock bearing at full depth will give around 8.5 mm support of the input shaft. That's plenty for me.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What does the left/driver side transmission mount supposed to look like?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Up Above - post 130 - both of my transmission mounts look like this:

If you have a driver's side mount that has the different style with the through-bolt, there is a different bracket that bolts to the transmission which will allow the use of the above style mount. Otherwise replacement or modification of the subframe is needed.

See Here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=372842 There are pics of both styles of mount about 1/4 of the way down the page.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I got the through bolt style bracket but haven't got the mount yet. Looking at the pictures from the link you posted, some fabrication is in order if I want to keep the automatic mount. Looks pretty straight forward though.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ahh ok so the V6 mount is the dirct fit then. I'll be going to Cambridge Auto Wreckers on Saturday anyways and will have a look.