BHW/01E 6 Speed Swap

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
AWESOME WRITE UP! Curious if anybody knows somebody that provides This Kit. or the main components of the kit. What are my options for Manual conversions in an 05 Passat Im much more familiar with the 1.9 TDI 02J situation.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
AWESOME WRITE UP! Curious if anybody knows somebody that provides This Kit. or the main components of the kit. What are my options for Manual conversions in an 05 Passat Im much more familiar with the 1.9 TDI 02J situation.
There is no "Kit" for the 01E conversion. The 6-speed has a higher than acceptable failure rate on the pinion bearing inside the gearbox, and as such vendors are reluctant to sell them for fear of unhappy customers returning their purchase / claiming warranty.

For a less variable conversion process, procure a 5-speed tdi transmission.

RyanP and Frans both sell kits, Ryan is in the UK, and Frans I believe is in the Netherlands. Both have good reviews from purchasers on this site.

There are numerous 5-speed conversion threads in the B5 forum. Easy to find with a little searching.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
6 speed has been great for me, I'd probably go that route if I were to do it again. My clutch actually bedded in and has been fine for the past 100k with the milder tune (22psi). I never ended up using the stage 2 setup. We even hauled a enclosed cargo trailer 3000k last Christmas. You're limited to 228mm with the 5 speed.

Syncrogreg

Vendor
TDI
2.0 TDI CR SWAP ALWAYS FOR SALE
Hello yall,

Anybody know what flange would be compatible with both the DVZ transmission diff but also some 108mm flanges?

right now I have in my hands a set of 108mm flanges but the stubs axles that goes into the diff is smaller thus not engage into the diff side

Any help appreciated :) wanted to go to a show this week end and i'm bummed hope I can still make it happen

thanks guys

Greg

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2012 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2004 Audi TT R-line Conv 2011 BMW X5 35d
Sorry if I missed it somewhere but is it a Quattro gearbox? If so, what code?

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
$2500 CAD ($2000 USD) without new clutch and flywheel for those who have asked. I can reuse those my my next AWD project.

jimbote

Vendor
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
CAN log in and 16955 flashing glow

FIXED! ecm 94/65, ws/ro had gotten pushed out of the connector... code cleared and all switch positions in vcds are good to go :)

auto>manual 01E six speed, all mechanical completed, wiring to pin 43, ecm reflashed to manual, ecm and abs recoded as per https://malonetuning.com/passat-bhw-manual-vcds-howto ... i need the log in to recode the can bus, and has anyone run in to this persistent 16955 brake switch F implausible signal code? i'm reading both brake and clutch switch in vcds, bulbs are all working and the right type, new brake switch, voltage where it needs to be... been on this for a few days and need help asap! ... TIA!

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2012 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2004 Audi TT R-line Conv 2011 BMW X5 35d
Which ABS do you have? 5.3 or 5.7?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
No need for G85 calibration

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Nice, good work!

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to know. I have done over 30 conversions and had not seen that error before.

FWIW there is a different procedure if you have a Bosch 5.3 ABS

jimbote

Vendor
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Nice, good work!
thanks! but i feel like a dope for not running this down sooner... i need to pay more attention to the label file next time
Good to know. I have done over 30 conversions and had not seen that error before.

FWIW there is a different procedure if you have a Bosch 5.3 ABS
this is my FIRST B5.5 swap and i feel like every pitfall that existed i fell into... is the 5.3 procedure wildly divergent from the 5.7?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
The 5.7 ABS you have to log in like you did and change the ABS code

The 5.3 ABS is just a straight soft code change with no log in required. However there is no corresponding soft coding for a FWD 5 speed. You have to code it as a 6 speed and IIRC AWD. Really don't know why it calls out a 6 speed specifically

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Is this a 4motion or FWD?

Braddman

TDI
2006 Audi A4 BHW 2.0 TDI
Custom pilot bearing

I found a great solution to the issue of not having enough transmission input shaft engagement in the pilot bearing. I bought an HK1522 (21mm OD, 15mm ID, 22mm long) drawn cup needle bearing and a 21mm OD, 15mm ID, 3mm width oil seal to keep the grease in the bearing and the dirt out. I got the seal and bearing from a local bearing supplier for about $7 each. The original pilot bearing is 16mm long with a built in oil seal which reduces the amount of the rolling element length to about 15mm. I took a piece of mild steel drilled it 20mm deep with an 11/16” bit bored it to 14mm deep about 20.95mm diameter (basically just a press fit for the bearing.) Turned a 45 deg. chamfer 4mm from the end of the bar stock to support the bearing inside the chamfer in the crank. I turned the diameter of the material to 0.25mm smaller than the flywheel bore which is around 35mm +-5mm (I don’t remember the actual size). I parted the bar stock off at 17mm long. This gives me 11mm of bearing engagement in the crank and 11mm in the bearing and seal retainer I made. The total input shaft support is about 14.5mm. I installed the oil seal with the numbers facing the bearing to prevent dust getting in the bearing.
Edit: I currently have 32000km on the pilot bearing with no issues.

Last edited:

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Audi A4 Avant quattro w/BHW TDI & 01E 6-speed
Is this necessary at all?

Depends, I guess. If you want to run a 240mm clutch and dual mass flywheel, then you need a 5mm spacer between the engine and transmission, which can reduce engagement in the pilot bearing to less than 3mm (not nearly enough). This solution would resolve that issue. In my case, I'm running a 228mm clutch and dual mass flywheel, so I don't need a spacer. That means my pilot bearing gets plenty of engagement. I recently inspected it after 2.5 years and 35k hard miles, and it's in perfect shape.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I drove mine for almost 5 years without issue. I still haven't taken the car apart yet, but it drove to its current rusting place.

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta, 04 Passat Wagon
6 speed shifter assembly

Hi, does anyone have the part number for the 6 speed shifter assembly for the Passat auto to manual conversion