BHAF for B5.5

ruSSrt

TDI
Is there a such thing as BHAF (big honking air filter) for TDI's? It's pretty big in diesel truck community and since I got EGR deleted I'm thinking about getting MAF sensor delete and also getting rid of stock air box. Just to make that diesel breath a little better.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
The stock air filter will work best still. I haven't seen any kit for an aftermarket filter, and with a TDI you want to avoid oil type filters, as it will ruin your maf sensor.

ruSSrt

TDI
The stock air filter will work best still. I haven't seen any kit for an aftermarket filter, and with a TDI you want to avoid oil type filters, as it will ruin your maf sensor.
I never used or will use oiled filters. But I'm researching to see if I want/need to do MAF delete also.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I never used or will use oiled filters. But I'm researching to see if I want/need to do MAF delete also.
My understanding with the MAF delete, it'll have a bit higher power potential (not sure why) but economy will be a little bit down, since it won't be adjusting fueling by how much air volume, just by how much air pressure. But that would remove the inhibition for having an aftermarket air filter.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I dont see any upside to an air filter upgrade unless you're putting on a bigger turbo. The stock turbo is a tight fit on the air filter box so going much bigger(or compound?) would require the intake system to be reconfigured. Along with a FMIC upgrade!

Ive seen a lot of all out alh builds but not a BHW so it would be interesting. I made a post about bigger or compound turbo set ups that would start to spool around 1500 rpm and still be making power without being a hair dryer at 3600 to 3800 rpms (lots of boost to keep egts down) the idea being an engine that sees lots of load but the turbo(s) and manifold stay cool enough to not burn up a turbo blanket and heat wrap. I've been itching to toss one of my spare BHW motors into a boat where the motor sits in a hatch so I can't have glowing red exhaust parts.

Ive also been wanting to toss the bhw into a 4x4 for years now but the mpgs, comfort and handling of the 5 speed converted bhw is hard to beat. Its not a boring ride like an accord or Camry.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
I have a 2260 turbo on mine with the stock air box setup and it works perfectly fine. I'd personally never use a cone filter AKA hot air intake that sucks in hot air from inside the engine bay.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, the stock airbox works perfectly fine, and does a great job at actually keeping dirt and grit from the engine.

ruSSrt

TDI
Thank you guys for your reply. I'll be keeping that stock box with good filter in for the life of that vehicle. It is my fun daily driver to work and back and definitely not looking to mess with it. I love my 37mpg and will see if I get any more after EGR delete.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
The Right Foot mod will probably do more to increase mpgs than anything else, such as EGR delete.
I see large differences in mpg (42-50 hwy) depending on how fast I drive, how I manage hills, etc. I clean out the EGR valve from time to time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation#In_diesel_engines (3 percent power and efficiency loss from EGR, but at the cost of spewing out a lot more NOx into the atmosphere which is poisonous)