BEWARE! Text message scammers!

duteman2

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 GOLF, '04 Passat Wagon, 5-speed, BSD, our 8th. and 9th. TDI's
I have a car listed here and also on my local Craigslist. I made the mistake of putting my cell phone number on the posting. I have not sold a car in a while so I've been out of the scammer-loop. I got an almost immediate text response from an anonymous person in Akron Ohio who would "buy the car at your price as long as I said it was running OK" and wanted personal PayPal account information. It's like a new version of the "African Prince and I need money" scam or something. This person, or bot, would not call, or take a call, nor ask or answer any questions. Anyway, I blocked the number and took my number out of my postings. Crazy world.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
My scam came from a DSLR I was selling... didn't want but 400 or so, sent me a check for 2500 bux and wanted me to send him the remaining balance...this dude harassed me and threatened to call the cops on me...when I got the check I called the bank and they finished my sentence for me, yep it was fake, I asked him to call the cops because I wasn't going to waste my time, there's not much they can do anyway...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
During the last week, text messages have started informing me that ALEXA has chosen me for a 'free' $120, (delivery method unknown because I didn't read that far) which is really funny since I don't use alexa - it isn't in my home.

It would be fun if you could relay the text to a state AG to pursue the perps, but I am sure they can't be bothered with such things. They're not budgeted for it.

Sigh...

PH

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
Whenever I get these outrageous offers from a buyer I let him send me the check, they usually fedex it overnight and that ain’t cheap, when I dumped my el Camino a few years ago I had like 6 checks for it, if they want to play I’ll try to make them pay

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I always use my google voice account for Craigslist. I never put my real cell phone on the web.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Another tactic is for the scammer to be texting you about your item, and then they send you a text with a link (many times in a language other than English). They ask you click the link to confirm that you are a person. Yes, all this, after texting back and forth with you.
The link will tie your phone number to a Google voice account, allowing the scammer to activate a Google phone number for the US, and use that phone number for other scams.
Goggle "google voice verification code scam"