Beware of supposed PD150 Intake manifolds with part number Part 038 129 713 BC

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Here are the vectors and force fields I just went though for the last couple of days. Maybe someone else will not make the same mistake I did.

So I am too cheap to buy a new PD150 intake manifold; I save a few bucks and I buy one from someone on line. It comes nicely packed with grease and soot. I get it all cleaned up and I even get it bead blasted so it looks brand new. I am a very happy camper.

I get a beautiful race pipe for PD150's from Nick at Street Toys http://www.streettoys2000.com/proddetail.php?prod=RacePipes

I am still very happy. So before I take the old intake out, I get a very slight moment of wisdom and decide to measure everything beforehand:

I center the new manifold exactly where it will bolt up and I find out the racepipe is short about 2". I call Nick and he says "Hummmmm..." "you sure you got a PD150 intake? " I say "Yes of course". This was the first clue.

Then he says "No problem, " he makes me a new PD150 race pipe custom size exactly 5 1/2" long like I needed. Does not charge me a nickel for either the pipe or the shipping and sends me the thing in a couple days!!!

WOWWW I think this is incredible service! I will buy from him again!! I get the longer racepipe a couple days later and now I am in business. (I think) . I had forgotten about Murphy's law.

I take out the old manifold and install the PD150 intake manifold and I am almost done until I get this, last night about 1 AM:

By then I am pretty tired and I am thinking "***???"

I write Nick and email at about 2 AM and send him photos of what I got. He calls me first thing Saturday AM. He says " send me the template of the manifold flange and I'll make you another one". I fax him template and he jumps on his lathe, like Johnny on the spot, and cuts me new flanges and pipes to match my funky A$$ manifold. He overnight it to me. WOWW! I will not get service like that from the VW dealer!!! I am thinking, This guy is top on my list for being there for his customers

Meantime, I spend Saturday trying to find a local machine shop that 's open on Saturday to ream out bigger holes on my racepipe, to see if I could at least get my car back together.

I cannot find one that's wiling to help me, so I decide to drill out the pipe flange w/ a drill motor myself. I keep drilling bigger and bigger holes, going from one bit size up to the next, till I am finally able to mate the flanges. Except now there is no more meat left in one of the holes of the race pipe and I have cut through almost to the edge of the flange. I go back on a quest for some washers and add a couple washers to each bolt to get me by.

Now I get to this

and I can complete the rest of the install and get my car back on the road. When the replacement racepipe gets here, I will swap the current pipe which I have massacred.

I get my car buttoned up and tested drove it about 5:30 PM today. I had started last night about 7 PM.

Here are the two lessons I learned today:

1- Beware of supposed PD150 Intake manifolds with part number Part 038 129 713 BC. Check what is the part number before buying one. Come to find out after the fact, by checking the part numbers, that it's not a PD150 manifold. Looks like on, but it certainly does not fit like one.

2 - I need to read "Zen and the art of modding my TDI" . I have learned one needs a lot of patience since I started doing and learning this game. Everything seems to come very very slow. Learn a little, Buy some parts, wait for them, return a few, buy some more, break a few things, repair them, and mostly meet good people who are willing to help and make good friend along the way.

EDIT- As it turns out the person that sold it to me did not intentionally mislead me. I was not aware at the time that there are difference in length and bolt pattern between the true PD150 intake and the one I got.

P

Last edited:

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
A 038 129 713 BC manifold is from an AXR engine. 101 HP.

The correct number for a PD150, (ARL), is 038 129 713 AF.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thank you for clarifying. Live and learn. Do think it would offer the same air flow capabilities? It really appears to look the same, except for the bolt pattern and the length of the intake nozzle.

I see the reason why my original racepipe was too short:

True PD150 Manifold 038 129 713 AF:

The one I bought which is a 038 129 713 BC manifold from an AXR engine. 101 HP

Occams_Razor said:

Last edited:

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
I can see some small differences on that manifold but I really have my doubts that the flow characteristics would be any different. Just as long as this is a known issue and the correct pipe is readily available I can't see any other reason to avoid this manifold.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
These "BC" manifolds have long been billed as PD150 manifolds for some time now. They are designed identically besides the longer neck on the "AF" unit.I know, I've held both in my hands at the same time and I've used both on my car before. Yeah, it's a little shorter. Drill out the race pipe holes a smidge, and your good to go. The hose will fit. It did on mine at least. Several people here have used that same manifold on their cars with great success. Glad to see your learning though. I particularly liked your "lesson 2".

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
Never had one in my hands so tough to say but it looks pretty much the same as my PD150 one.

Others with more experience on the myriad different VW engine types will have to chime in on if it is good or bad.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I concur with your statement "Nick is the hero in this."

I was extremely impressed with the level of service and quality of work he provided. How many shops will do that for a customer on a Saturday? I really wanted the community to know how he treated me. To be honest, I have never received service like that before. He definitely went over and above the call of duty.

P

ibanix said:
Nick is the hero in this. I may have to ask him to make me one of those race pipes also...

Street Toys

Veteran Member
TDI
sold
Thank you very much for the kind words guys!:) I must however admit, I usualy work Sat and most Sundays anyway. I am happy that I could help out. I think we all learned a lesson on this one!:D

Thanks again,

Nick/Street Toys

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Street Toys said:
Thank you very much for the kind words guys!:) I must however admit, I usualy work Sat and most Sundays anyway. I am happy that I could help out. I think we all learned a lesson on this one!:D

Thanks again,

Nick/Street Toys
You're a good man. If I was manufacturing a part because of another companys/parts shortcomings, I'd be charging for it.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That kindda looks like the one I have. Check to see if it's part no 038 129 713 BC

If it is and if you want to reuse the stock upper IC piping and elbow, you'll need a longer Racepipe and a slightly different bolt pattern than the PD150. You may need a racepipe about 5" to 5 1/4" long.

P

suffeks said:
here's mine:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I know I have a big fat oil cap in the way but you can see the difference here as well. They also have two different types of race pipes but that should be negligible. Just look at the necks:

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Farfromovin said:
Drill out the race pipe holes a smidge, and your good to go. The hose will fit.
+1.

I guess I have the shorter "PD" manifold and didn't know. All I did was go up to the next drill bit size and drill out the mounting holes. The Allard racepipe then bolted right up and I used the stock ALH hose. It did fit but not without some elbow grease. :)

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tnx,

I can see they appear identical except for the length of the inlet nozzle. It helps knowing up front what kind of Manifold one has, so as to order the right type of racepipe .

P

Farfromovin said:
I know I have a big fat oil cap in the way but you can see the difference here as well. They also have two different types of race pipes but that should be negligible. Just look at the necks:

bluecollarpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora, 2001, Silver
I fell victom to this too. I was told I was buying a PD150 intake, the guy sent me an AXR intake (RWDdiesel). I had to make a minor mod to the race pipe but it was a hell of a lot cheaper than a new PD150 intake.

Curious to know if there is a large difference between the two, with regard to performance.

Anyone?

Threewheelin007

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Mk4
CERBER just burned me on this

I already have a 100 hp intake. $215 for a 101 hp intake and racepipe really doesnt sound like a bargain to me .I emailed him and asked for the P/N for the intake and he told me 038 129 713 AF so I sent the cash when I recieved my intake it was a 038 129 713 BC .Im thinkin Nick isnt goin to fix all the lies this guy keeps sellin so now I get to order another racepipe thats the right length. I know this is an old thread but I think the Mods need to know that this stuff is still goin on.I am not pleased with my deal at all .Im sending a complaint to PP as I paid for a PD150 intake and racepipe not a PD101 intake and racepipe.Why do these people get to continue cheating the public with no recourse?

im570rm

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi a6 avant 2.5 tdi quattro
101pd intake can take at least 200 bhp,i would say more if ported inside as much as possible

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Dude... they are the same intake with a different flange where the racepipe bolts on, and slightly shorter.. just grab a drill bit and make the holes slightly bigger and bolt your pipe on and be done with it.. no sense in even using a bigger manifold with a small turbo and stock IC.. I left my stock ALH manifold on until it ended up being the choke point.. I built everything else first..

I didn't have an issue since I wanted a left facing manifold..

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
My first time reading this, Pierre. I feel for you, as I've had some similar frustrating moments. I always have to remind myself that it will all be worth it because the end product will be Sweet.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
96 A6 Avant TDI Quattro, 04 Jetta Wagon
Damn, I was just duped as well. But I paid $125 CAD for my intake, so I don't think I'll be complaining (when many people are paying $250+)

brum

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B5, 1.9 TDI, AFN
After spending about a day looking how to stop the intake manifold leak that I got between the manifold and my custom made racepipe (all cad drawings by myself, a dude with a water jet to cut the flange and a friend of mine to weld all this together) I came to a solution that my be useful for this situation also. And it is to directly weld a pipe to the manifold. The pipe internal size and form was matched to the collector one perfectly. Yes, this can not be dismounted, but it has also the advantage of removing the bolt ears and reducing the size of the whole thing. And it is cheaper :) .

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
I have a bunch of BC's....the problem is that the TIP from the ARL wont fit.....the manifold heights are slightly different. So...... I now have to get more AF's....and I only have a couple left....

SmokeFree

Vendor
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2008 Audi A3 2.0T, 2010 Mercedes Sprinter 3500
I have seen both of these intakes in Albania, and some PD intakes, that don't even look like the ones above... I have come to the conclusion the intake that is giving problems with the bolt holes has an Electronic EGR, with a different pattern. Weird, but, its not the end of the world, still the PD intake, the neck is shorter, probably flows EXACTLY the same. I am saving the short one for my cars, I don't care...
As for advertising one part number and sending a different one, I will not do that! Maybe we can make a PN list? SO everyone is clear? Maybe ill bring the camera to the yard next time, get some shots, to explain better... Laters!

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
I already have a 100 hp intake. $215 for a 101 hp intake and racepipe really doesnt sound like a bargain to me .I emailed him and asked for the P/N for the intake and he told me 038 129 713 AF so I sent the cash when I recieved my intake it was a 038 129 713 BC .Im thinkin Nick isnt goin to fix all the lies this guy keeps sellin so now I get to order another racepipe thats the right length. I know this is an old thread but I think the Mods need to know that this stuff is still goin on.I am not pleased with my deal at all .Im sending a complaint to PP as I paid for a PD150 intake and racepipe not a PD101 intake and racepipe.Why do these people get to continue cheating the public with no recourse?

If he actually told you one part number and got another, then you have an issue. What was his response? I bought an intake from him and racepipe, they are both nice. Racepipe can use a little work, but for the price I won't *****. Probably take me an hour to port match it a little better to the intake.

The pipe he sold you is almost identical to the PD150. Sure it came from a 101HP motor but it is nothing like the North American 100 HP motor in terms of intake manifold.

Again, interested in his reply.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
I found out today I have a intake manifold from BEW with part # 038129713 BD

Will this bolt up with out problems using a egr delete?