BEW won't start without pulling inlet tube

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf GLS TDI (retired), 04 A4Q (swap candidate)
I have an 05 BEW Golf. Was cruising to work last week and on highway started to accelerate. Suddenly lost all power and coasted to stop. Didn't see a cloud of smoke and the engine just had no power. Stopped and wouldn't idle. Towed it home and diagnosed a bad lift pump. It had 214K miles and was the original. Ok, so it's bad. Ordered a new lift pump and installed.

The car still wouldn't start. Checked for fuel, etc. On a whim, pulled the air inlet to the intake/EGR valve and the thing started right up. Am I correct in assuming that I have a blown turbo? Blocking the inlet?

I have a GT1749VA from a euro PD130. Would that bolt on if this is a dead turbo issue?

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope, no rags. Haven't touched the intake side other than pulling the big black tube to see if I was getting air to start.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I ran for years with a dead lift pump so that may have not been why it died. Your thinking is decent though - pull the outlet of the turbo and reach inside.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
86turbodsl

I would guess dead turbo. Same scenario with our 2005 Jetta wagon.

Eric

mogwai

TDI
2005 Jetta PD
+1 blown turbo, I did the same troubleshooting you did and mine had seized completely. Picking up the car tonight with a new VNT-17 installed..

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Sounds more like something is obstructing the air pathway. Start by removing the turbo inlet pipe and air box and inspecting them, then intercooler piping.

Doesn't hurt to try the simple stuff before speculating on the worst.

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
All it will do is idle, even with the hose pulled. No power, just dies if I try to move it. So that means exhaust is plugged too I think. Gotta be turbo.

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, that seems like a consensus. I'll have to get it in the shop and confirm of course.

Is there a guide here somewhere on installing a GT1749 in place of a BW39 turbo? I searched, but came up empty.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
I have an 05 BEW Golf. Was cruising to work last week and on highway started to accelerate. Suddenly lost all power and coasted to stop. Didn't see a cloud of smoke and the engine just had no power. Stopped and wouldn't idle. Towed it home and diagnosed a bad lift pump. It had 214K miles and was the original. Ok, so it's bad. Ordered a new lift pump and installed.

The car still wouldn't start. Checked for fuel, etc. On a whim, pulled the air inlet to the intake/EGR valve and the thing started right up. Am I correct in assuming that I have a blown turbo? Blocking the inlet?

I have a GT1749VA from a euro PD130. Would that bolt on if this is a dead turbo issue?
Your turbo has seized. Replace it with a Garrett VNT-17 from Bora or ID.

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
Guys, I already have a GT1749VA sitting on my shelf. Why buy another one?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Get your hands dirty and investigate.

The VA is fine. just don't push it as hard as you would a VB.