BEW vs ALH Road Trip To Grandma's House Runoff

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
BEW vs ALH Road Trip To Grandma\'s House Runoff

In the shadow of all the debate as to why a BEW engine with more power than an ALH seems to turn in lower mpg figures. I thought an open road test would be fun. I will concede that a 90 hp engine will do better on a 55 mph run than a 100hp engine. However I don't drive 55.

What better time than the Christmas travel season? To enter your data I ask for a one thousand mile minimum round trip. To simplify data we need to concentrate on high speed trips of at least the interstate speed limit. Please post your average speed as it is critical in comparison. Always keeping in mind that during this Christmas holiday almost as many Americans will die on the roads as we have lost In our last war. So be careful out their.

I'll be giving my 04 PD Jetta a good autobahn like test run next week.
I've a 3,500 mile road trip coming up. Central Illinois to Phoenix Arizona and back.

This will be real world as the leg between Oklahoma City and Phoenix is all 80+ mph.
This type of trip is where our TDI's will put a Prius Hybrid to shame. Regardless of your model.

My 18 year old daughter and I are making the trip to grandma's house. She will be doing most of the driving because she is a good girl. I'll be catching up on my shop manual reading as she charges across the desert South West. Outbound West may be into a ten to fifteen knot wind and Eastbound should have a tail wind so I'll separate the legs for bragging rights only. I'm not going to concern myself with tank to tank millage. As the total average is all that counts in the end.

For comparison please post average speed at 65, 70 or 80 mph. Add a + or – for bragging rights.

Sample:
Model:
Engine type:
Average speed:
Miles traveled:
Average mpg:

I'll be back.
In a couple of weeks.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather

I've taken two 1000 mile trips in my '04 Jetta TDI PD so far. Approx. from Washington, DC to Boston, MA and back each time. Both times the Jetta was loaded very heavily, near or over its GVWR. Speeds averaged about 75 MPH and there were a couple of horrendous traffic back-ups on each trip. Mileage figures were right at 48 MPG each time.

--Nate

A

azbioguy

Well, when you make it to Phoenix you should get a warm welcome from the AZTDIClub...if you'd like. Drop me a line when you get here if you'd like to meet some local TDIers

Email me at aznative@oddpost.com

Best regards,
Josh

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004

I've taken two 1000 mile trips in my '04 Jetta TDI PD so far. Approx. from Washington, DC to Boston, MA and back each time. Both times the Jetta was loaded very heavily, near or over its GVWR. Speeds averaged about 75 MPH and there were a couple of horrendous traffic back-ups on each trip. Mileage figures were right at 48 MPG each time.

--Nate
This is the result I am expecting to see. Diesels run best when working hard.
What I'm out to confirm here is the BEW engine is the lead foot drivers dream come true.
The above post indicates this as his fully loaded car at high speed exceeded the EPA highway millage rating of said car.

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004

Well, when you make it to Phoenix you should get a warm welcome from the AZTDIClub...if you'd like. Drop me a line when you get here if you'd like to meet some local TDIers

Email me at aznative@oddpost.com

Best regards,
Josh
Many thanks for the invite.
Time will be short and precious. I'll email you.

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White

A few months ago I made a 1,000 mile trip each way from TN to NY in my 04 Jetta. Total Interstate driving doing 75-85 mph. On the trip up I got 49.? mpg, (can't remember right now), and on the trip back I got 50.7 mpg.

fredb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003/golf gl blue tdi auto
Re: BEW vs ALH Road Trip To Grandma\'s House Runof

hmm my 03 automatic got 47 mpg last time i took rd trip over
1000 mile
about to do it again this weekend coming..(xmas)
vt to pa to nj back to vt. colder temps and rot gut northcountry fuel to boot.i will let you know.

Over the river and thru the woods.....

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004

I'm a little slow getting this report out.

I was pleased with my fuel millage on my trip from Illinois to Arizona. My big discovery was an obvious one. Driving eighty mph into a twenty mph head wind or driving ninety mph across New Mexico will pull my fuel millage down to just above 40 mpg.

I also concluded that ninety mph , even across NM is to fast. For me at least. There is sixty mph traffic on the road creating a very fast closing rate. After a few hours of this my eyes were strained so I let my daughter drive.

The return trip was a little slower at 75 to 80 without the head winds so the millage was way up. On the last leg of the trip to Central Illinois the speeds were under 75 and the fuel millage went to well over fifty. Only burned four gallons on that leg so the 56.1 mpg it showed is obviously inaccurate but does show that speed burns fuel. The Arizona State Police also pointed this out to me. Seems ironic to receive a waste of fuel ticket in a TDI. I'm sure if I'd complained the officer would have written it up as a speeding ticket instead.

2004 Jetta TDI-PD 5 speed manual. Goodyear Eagle tires. Miles on Odometer= 6245 to 9529.

3284 Miles traveled round trip IL to AZ.

40.83 mpg Average for leg out to AZ. head wind and 80>90mph speeds.

49.41 mpg Average for return leg. 75>80 mph no head wind .

45.73mpg Average for round trip.

fredb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003/golf gl blue tdi auto

hmm my 03 automatic got 47 mpg last time i took rd trip over
1000 mile
about to do it again this weekend coming..(xmas)
vt to pa to nj back to vt. colder temps and rot gut northcountry fuel to boot.i will let you know.

Over the river and thru the woods.....
Well said trip yielded 46.5 mpg.
not bad for rot gut fuel and an auto tran.
averaged 70+ mph .
2003 golf gl 2 door