Bew turbo oil feed union bolt

CRD4me

Veteran Member
TDI
MB CRD & VW PD
I was looking for a proper torquing procedure for this, but couldn't find any.
Should we torque this on the feed line first, then the whole line (with the union attached to it) or should we torque the union first to 30ft-lbs on the turbo then the oil feed to the union.
Also 30ft-lbs seems a bit high for this no?
Thank you.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
You're talking about the small fitting with threads to go into the turbo on one end, and the other end is where the feed line screws into, right?

Turbo first, clearly. You couldn't spin the fitting around with the line attached to it. Screw it into the turbo, then attach the line.

I'd assume the 30 ft-lbs is the torque specification for screwing the fitting into the turbo. It doesn't sound completely unreasonable for that. I would think the torque on the feed line side of the fitting is a bit less, not that you can really get a torque wrench on that anyway. A compression fitting is usually just snug plus a 1/4 turn or so. I'm not sure if you can find specifications for that.

Last edited:

CRD4me

Veteran Member
TDI
MB CRD & VW PD
Correct it's that little fitting I'm refering too.

Ack. I won't be able to turn the feed line with the fitting attached to it. How come I never thought of that! I was probably sleepy when I asked that lol. Thanks :)
For torquing the feed line I usualy use a flare socket 17mm it works very well. Snapon make those and probably many others can supply those.

CRD4me

Veteran Member
TDI
MB CRD & VW PD
To be back on topic, I'm strugling to find a way to tightening up this union fitting. Here is the situation.
The previous fitting use to be on a 16mm drive and was able to be torque with the appropriate socket. Now the replacement part that I got from the dealership is on a 17mm drive. As per picture you can see the comparaison.

Everything fits well by hand but I can't find a way to torque this :\
Now the 17 mm socket can not fit. There is not enough clearence between the compressor housing and the union nut.

CRD4me

Veteran Member
TDI
MB CRD & VW PD
Trust me. I would have loved to use the old one, for some reason it litteraly snaped on me when tightening to 30lbs-ft. It twisted like butter. I was lucky enough to be able to extract the remaining thread from the turbo oil housing. It was easy to exract. No resistance at all from the remaining thread.
So now I'm stuck at making this one fit :(
...and I'm not even sure how to remove the compressor housing on this kp39a

CRD4me

Veteran Member
TDI
MB CRD & VW PD
Could this be a case of hand tighting the fitting onto turbo first and then torquing the oil line nut ?

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe you could use the old oil line nut to torque the fitting into the turbo, then jam something between the compressor (or exhaust) housing to stop the fitting from turning while you try to remove the old oil line nut (aka flare nut).

Maybe you could hold it with needle-nose vice grips.

CRD4me

Veteran Member
TDI
MB CRD & VW PD
Tanks mate,
I indeed kept the old flare nut. I tried that once, but without succes. I couldn't find somethind adequate to jam between the union nut and the turbine housing (or maybe should it be on the conpressor housing?).
I'll try one more time that technic and I will report back.
Thanks mate, I realy appreciate your help, because this car has to get out.

Edit: I bought from a local store a set of slim socket (for wheels/mags)...with no luck there :(

CRD4me

Veteran Member
TDI
MB CRD & VW PD
Guys!
This is getting very weird.
No luck again I tried jaming allen in between the housing and the union ...nothing :(
The tightening between the union and the flare becomes so great that whatever I jam gets the side of the nut chewed once I start unscrewing the flare nut.
It's either I'm not using the correct tool or I do not have the correct part. I come to the conclusion the union has to be tighten independently of the flare nut.
Anybody can confirm the part number or the tooling for the union please ?

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
You have got the wrong part
The flare nut will hit the stop before making a tight seal

Last edited:

CRD4me

Veteran Member
TDI
MB CRD & VW PD
Thanks Dimitri.
I'm thinking the same.
Dealer told me I need new turbo to get that part...which is absolutely a none sens!
Do you know similar turbo or vehicule using that part or advice on where to look for ?
Thanks

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, I see how you're supposed to torque that fitting now. (The original one, maybe not your replacement one)

If you look inside the compression fitting side of it, where the tube connects, it has been formed to fit a hex key.

I measured the threads for you.

The end that goes to the turbo is M10 X 1mm
The end that goes to the tube is M14 X 1.5mm and I think the tube is 8mm.

So what I would call this fitting is an M10x1mm straight thread to 8mm OD tube adapter.

Looking around on the web, it seems impossible to find.

I did find this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Banjo-Bolt-...mm-Restrictor-Mitsubishi-TD025L-/262406206055

It would adapt the turbo oil inlet to the more common "4AN" size hydraulic fitting, and then a hydraulic shop should be able to make a hose for you, with a banjo fitting on the other end.

The other option would be to see if you can find someone selling a blown KP-39 turbo really cheap, and get the fitting off it.

CRD4me

Veteran Member
TDI
MB CRD & VW PD
Thanks mate!
That's the exact fitting I need. There got to be a part number for this...

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Try the good parts houses. Don't know canadia, but is it Roseland parts or something up there?
Having to do with the turbo, this shouldn't be rare.

CRD4me

Veteran Member
TDI
MB CRD & VW PD
Guys.
I think I found it.
Go figure why but the union oil fitting on mk4 bew equiped with kp-39 has the same union then a mk5 jetta tdi with the brm engine. With this I was able to track down the part number:
059145911A
Bingo!!!!
;) ;)

CRWalker

TDI
2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI CBEA
Thank you!!!!

This is the same fitting on the CBEA Cr140 Common Rail TDI bv43b turbo!!! Hopefully tagging all of those key words helps someone else not decide to buy a new turbo. You are wonderful! Now to find a replacement seal part number. N90707001 Is the seal part number in case anyone needs that as well 10mm x 15mm.

Last edited:

Allen Vos

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Thanks a Million guys, Ive been looking for this oil fitting for a while for my CBEA CR140 TDI, as VW tells me I need to buy a new turbo to get one.
You could literally hear the parts guy at VW eating his words when I called back with the part number:ROFLMAO: