BEW Tuned Ecu Swap

jmack

TDI
2004 Golf
Afternoon everyone, I got a really great deal on a BEW Manual ECU 50hp tune immo delete. I figured it would be plug and play. No dice. No start. Put the original back No problem. So my question is do I need to do some programming changes so that the cluster will communicate with the "new" ecu? Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section. This is my first post on here. Any help on the right direction would be awesome.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Sounds like its not immodeleted. Same part #?. If it came out of an automatic that could be a fixable problem with vagcom. You should at least try to commu icate with it via vagcom. Maybe its no good or a pin is bent?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Afternoon everyone, I got a really great deal on a BEW Manual ECU 50hp tune immo delete. I figured it would be plug and play. No dice. No start. Put the original back No problem. So my question is do I need to do some programming changes so that the cluster will communicate with the "new" ecu? Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section. This is my first post on here. Any help on the right direction would be awesome.
Did the tuned one come from an automatic car? If so it may be looking for it to be in neutral. Check the coding with vcds and if you have a manual, you'll need to change the coding to manual.

jmack

TDI
2004 Golf
Thank you for the replies. From the seller he said it is for a BEW manual and that it has a immo delete. The sticker on the ECU says its from UGT performance stage two. From the looks of the bottom it has been opened up for the immo delete. As far as the part number where would that be located? I can try looking at that. The pins all look to be in perfect condition. Edit I did also notice with the "tuned" one that the glow plug light is constantly flashing.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Thank you for the replies. From the seller he said it is for a BEW manual and that it has a immo delete. The sticker on the ECU says its from UGT performance stage two. From the looks of the bottom it has been opened up for the immo delete. As far as the part number where would that be located? I can try looking at that. The pins all look to be in perfect condition. Edit I did also notice with the "tuned" one that the glow plug light is constantly flashing.
What codes is it throwing? Do you have vcds?

jmack

TDI
2004 Golf
I do not have vcds yet. I was hoping for plug and play but it looks like I'll be purchasing it now. I plan on having some sort of tdi for the foreseeable future I don't think I can ever go back lol. Once I have it purchased and read the codes I'll update this thread.

Greaseburger

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta,2011 Tdi sportwgon
I just did basically the same thing, I had a kerma tune ecu with immo on and purchased a ecu with stage 2 Malone and immo off, it was plug and play, no problems.

jmack

TDI
2004 Golf
Ok. There must be something else going on with it. I have vcds on order I'll hopefully find out if it really has immo off.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Ok. There must be something else going on with it. I have vcds on order I'll hopefully find out if it really has immo off.
Does it fire up then die immediately?

Mozambiquer

TDI
It does nothing but crank it. No start at all.
That tells me it's likely not an immobilizer problem. Immobilizer will allow it to start,but it'll immediately die. Hook up to it with vcds once you get that and see what it shows.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Ya almost makes wonder if their were different models that aren't compatible.
Whats the part number on the ecm? Do you have a photo of it?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
You can un brick the ECU if need be.
Also, if you bought a tuned ECM, there's potential that your IP is too far out (IQ) to start based on the tune combo with your pump. I've had this happen.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
You can un brick the ECU if need be.
Also, if you bought a tuned ECM, there's potential that your IP is too far out (IQ) to start based on the tune combo with your pump. I've had this happen.
it's a PD tho, so no IP. you need to plug it in and with key on/car off see if it can open up the engine module and talk to it with vcds. if not, ecu is bricked, to fix that you need to board write it (different than unbricking alh ecu). if the glow plug light doesn't come on, that's another indicator it could be bricked.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
it's a PD tho, so no IP. you need to plug it in and with key on/car off see if it can open up the engine module and talk to it with vcds. if not, ecu is bricked, to fix that you need to board write it (different than unbricking alh ecu). if the glow plug light doesn't come on, that's another indicator it could be bricked.
I missed the PD part, so disregard my post.
Even though it was right in the title :ROFLMAO:

It's been a long day!

Last edited:

jmack

TDI
2004 Golf
Still waiting on the VCDS. But on the tuned ECU the glow plug light just flashed the whole time.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Would it be possible that its an alh or gasser ecm?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
its actually pretty easy here. just go to "Media" link at the top then add media, select where, like just "car pictures" then upload it. nothing more comlicated than uploading it to somewhere else and then adding in a link...

Mozambiquer

TDI
I have a couple pictures of it. What is the best way to upload a picture to here?

jmack

TDI
2004 Golf
I added a couple pictures of it in my media. When I can get to a desktop I'll add you url to where it is easier to link.

Mozambiquer

TDI
I added a couple pictures of it in my media. When I can get to a desktop I'll add you url to where it is easier to link.
Is there any spot which shows the actual ecm.part number still on it?