BEW top end tick

SamtF

TDI
Ahu
I just got a 05 BEW with 310,000 km that I just got running and driving put a new SMF and clutch in and drove around a bit and the car ran beautifully. Pulled the valve cover to check the cam and the lobes look brand new no edges or worn down lobes. Couple days pass and I fire the car up to warm it and a odd ticking sound started to come from the timing belt/cylinder 1 area I thought a cam bearing was shot so I pulled the valve cover again and re inspected the cam and lifters, everything checked out good but the tick (witch almost sounds like a squeak when it warms up) is still their. So at this point I'm thinking timing pulley or tensioner witch I should be checking this week. Any input on what this tick is will be very much appreciated.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
That's definitely more of a squeak than a tick. You probably have a belt or something that rides on it going out. Sometimes spilling coolant on a serpentine belt can cause that.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Check the alternator clutch pulley. First pull the serpentine belt off and start it and see if the sound is still there. If so, you've narrowed it down to likely timing components.
If the alternator clutch pulley siezed up, it'll make a squeaky tick sound. They're not that hard to replace, especially with the bew, as it's easy to pull the alternator and swap the pulley.
Also check the tensioner pulley and the power steering pump.

SamtF

TDI
Ahu
I did have the serpentine belt off and it was still squeaking so I'm leaning towards the timing belt pulleys

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I did have the serpentine belt off and it was still squeaking so I'm leaning towards the timing belt pulleys
I definitely wouldn't risk running it, especially if it is possibly timing belt pulleys. I had an idler lock up (only had 40k miles on it!) And it started to tear the belt. Currently I've got a car at the shop that the tensioner locked up and took the engine out. Not worth risking it.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Most of us will simply replace the timing belt kit when we buy used. Unless you're confident it's been done and done correctly.