BEW/PD Owners check your lift pump

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
This fuel pump is for Mark IV. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-...ta-Beetle-Golf-L4-1-9-TDI-Diesel-/13237752714
It looks exactly like the VDO one I bought years ago, same colors etc. Mine is still on the shelf as a spare.
It only fits the BEW engined cars (Golf and New Beetle in the US) in 2006. The pictures clearly show the pump on this one.

Earlier cars (ALH engine) had pickup and level gauge only, no fuel pump, so ensure what you buy has a fuel pump, and is for the BEW.

Not sure what $285 pump you were looking at.
Later cars used a different fuel pump for the BRM engine.

As for quality, I cannot tell you anything.

Przemix

TDI
2006 VW Golf 1.9 BEW TDI MK4
This fuel pump is for Mark IV. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-...ta-Beetle-Golf-L4-1-9-TDI-Diesel-/13237752714
It looks exactly like the VDO one I bought years ago, same colors etc. Mine is still on the shelf as a spare.
It only fits the BEW engined cars (Golf and New Beetle in the US) in 2006. The pictures clearly show the pump on this one.

Earlier cars (ALH engine) had pickup and level gauge only, no fuel pump, so ensure what you buy has a fuel pump, and is for the BEW.

Not sure what $285 pump you were looking at.
Later cars used a different fuel pump for the BRM engine.

As for quality, I cannot tell you anything.

thanks

and yes I was looking to buy this one here is link ....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-VW-Die...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

does all fuel pumps have lift pumps with 5-8 psi to provide easy fuel flow for injectors or only new ones or expensive ones?

They say the ones from Canada are special because of harsh winters so is it thats why they are so expensive compared to the other one You gave me link above or its all the same just paying extra $150 for VDO brand ?

oh and that $70 pump at your link is life time warranty WOW! and $209 one is only one year , its crazy.

Has anyone had any experience with those 2 pumps before? Whats the difference between them ?

thanks

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The $68 and the $209 dollar one you listed appear to be identical. Both have lift pumps that put out 5-8 psi and about 55 liters per hour. At least that is what is shown in the photos. One could be a knock-off, I guess, made to look identical but of cheaper stuff.

The sending unit only was used in the ALH engined cars, had no fuel pump, and had a different wiring harness. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-VW...ALH-Jetta-Golf-New-Beetle-99-03-/111209640551

Joevwtdi

TDI
2005 golf
Today I learned something new to share with yee-all.

I had just finished a BEW engine swap, went to start it and the lift pump was bad.

In a pinch, we elected to temporarily take a LP out of one of Leonard's 04 inventory cars. Come to find out, that one was bad as well... But that one started up and seemed to run fine.

We went around and checked all of the PD cars lift pumps on the lot and found one more on a customer's car that was bad as well. I was doing a tune on this one and replacing the bad lift pump made a pretty nice difference.

When the lift is bad the PD's will still run fine as long as they're primed. The main symptoms are: When you start it, it takes several revolutions before it will fire, & it will slightly lack power almost the same as a weak MAF sensor.

To check if yours is working properly, raise the rear passenger side seat cushion, cycle the key & listen for the hum.
So I have a lifter that looks just like this that went bad. When I bought a new one it does not look similar to this but they sorry up and down it was the replacement. I tried to replace and it ran for a minute and then cut off,
Any ideas?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
It will run briefly and then shut itself off if the engine has not started. Is this what you're experiencing?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
OK, that's normal. :) It stops the flow of fuel to a non-running engine after 10-15 seconds for safety reasons.