BEW PD KP-39 Smart actuator Stop Adjustment

Hatchet Ratchet

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
i replaced the cartridge in my 2004 BEW KP-39.

what position should the mechanical stop set screw be set at for the position of the vanes when the actuator is fully pulled down? the lever arm on the vanes also bottoms out on the cap screw that mounts the smart actuator to the turbo housing, so somewhere there or above is what i would presume to be correct?

how do you know or where can you measure from to know if your set screw is at the correct position to limit the bottom end of the vane position?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Don't see much with this, guessing it's not critical. Put a vacuum pump with gauge on to get actual numbers, adjust as needed.

Hatchet Ratchet

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Don't see much with this, guessing it's not critical. Put a vacuum pump with gauge on to get actual numbers, adjust as needed.
i haven't been able to find anything referencing the KP-39 Smart actuator and what to set the rod and the stop screw locations to. can you please elaborate on how to set them?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Curious as to where you bought a new cartridge for your Kp 39?

I’ve never had to adjust the actuator before.

Hatchet Ratchet

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
i have a bunch of errors and i'm not sure which were from before the fix and now after. my first test drive out yeilded very weak power and very little boost.

this is the result of the test drive. any help would be wildly appreciated. i havent' driven my car for most of the summer as i've been dealing with the wrong cartridge or needing this or that for it and just a failure circus.

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Tuesday, 08 October 2019, 23:42:01.

Chassis Type: 1J - VW Golf/Bora IV
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,16,17,19,22,29,35,36,37,39,46,47,55,56,57,75,76

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-016-BEW.LBL
Controller: 038 997 016 L
Component: R4 1,9L EDC G000SG 3791
Coding: 0150031
Shop #: WSC 02651
VCID: 2721789FD6F5
4 Faults Found:
16515 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Signal too Low
P0131 - 000 - - - Intermittent
18996 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P2564 - 000 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
16627 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P0243 - 000 - Please Register/Activate
16683 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Control Range Not Reached
P0299 - 000 - -
Readiness: N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1C0-907-37x-ABS.LBL
Controller: 1C0 907 379 L
Component: ABS FRONT MK60 0101
Coding: 0004097
Shop #: WSC 00028
VCID: 33199CCF122D
No fault code found.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
i haven't been able to find anything referencing the KP-39 Smart actuator and what to set the rod and the stop screw locations to. can you please elaborate on how to set them?
Don't know if the 2004 BEW is the same but for the 2003 ALH you want the arm to start moving at 3 inches and be full at about 20 or so. (+/-)

One of the blocks in VCDS will cycle the actuator.
Don't recall which one, someone here may comment. :)

Tee into the hose going to the actuator with a vacuum gauge or pump.
Start the car. Mine had 12 inches (or so) vacuum and dropped off when I took off.
Yes this sounds backwards.

Did you verify the vacuum pump is producing 20 inches vacuum?

Hatchet Ratchet

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
on the road again

i identified the problem. it is somewhere between the seat and the steering wheel. the same source of the problem was also pulling the wrenches.

i cleared the codes and hooked in a tee and a vacuum gauge at the N75 to the smart actuator line. got no vacuum reading.

when i replaced the check valve in the vacuum lines, i put the replacement generic part in reverse of what it should have been between the vacuum reservoir and the rest of the lines.

with the engine running, i pulled that check valve off and immediately heard the vacuum pump purring. at that instant i knew where i screwed up.

when there's no vacuum being pulled on the system, it really can't pull on the smart actuator.

i may adjust the stop screw on the actuator arm to see if allowing it to move the vanes any more produces any more boost or will move me into the overboost condition?

the good news is i'm back on the road and running with my new turbo cartridge, intercooler, intercooler piping seals, and inspected my camshaft for wear from running low on oil when i sheared my impeller shaft at the exhaust side of the turbo.

the bad news is i feel like an idiot for putting the check valve in backwards.
- trace the lines, and put it in the right way dummy.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two things.
First, glad you got it working and posted the resolution.
It may help others in the future. :)

Next, why mess with the turbo adjustment if it's working OK.
If you set it to give more boost you may get over boost limp mode and it won't give more power.
You need more fuel for more power.

Hatchet Ratchet

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
i'm watching my fuel economy currently i am thinking that it is on the low side after getting it all fixed up. the actuator adjustment may not be coming in early enough and requiring more fuel consumption to create the boost needed. am wondering if my turbo isn't working hard enough at cruising speed to get the fuel economy i was getting prior to the impeller shaft failure.
i guess if i create an overboost condition i'll know where i have to turn the actuator stop in a bit. ?

Two things.
First, glad you got it working and posted the resolution.
It may help others in the future. :)

Next, why mess with the turbo adjustment if it's working OK.
If you set it to give more boost you may get over boost limp mode and it won't give more power.
You need more fuel for more power.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In VCDS log group 011 and go for a ride.
It will display boost request & actual.
They won't match exactly but should be close.

Group 011
Charge pressure control warm/full throttle/3rd gear @ 3000 RPM
Engine rpm
Specified MAP: 1850-1950
Actual MAP: 1700-2080
MAP Valve DC: 45-95