BEW or ALH block?

marc_vdberg

TDI
alh toyota pickup
Hey, I am planning a big turbo build for an a6. I am hoping for something around 250hp. I am wondering what is a better block to start with. I have access to a bew block and already have a spare alh block. I don't know which is stronger. And if any better I might be able to get ahold of a BRM block too..
Any info would be appreciated.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I agree with above ^^ ...however are you planning on going with a PD or a VE setup?....if you go with a VE and use a PD bottom end ie; BHW, BEW you'll have to drill/tap a hole in the block for the small lower idle roller...if your going with a PD setup forget about the ALH block completely....

marc_vdberg

TDI
alh toyota pickup
I am planning VE. It's easier for me as I have pretty much all accessories and wiring for it. And yes it's going to go in an Audi. Is there any advantage with the pd block? I can do the work to make it fit that's not an issue. But if it's not worth it I have a perfectly fine alh bloc to start with.

DIESEL DAZZLER

Veteran Member
TDI
81VW TDI PU,94 GOLF TDI,97 PASSAT TDI,03 ,06 JETTA TDI's,KABOTA DIESEL LAWNMOWER
PD or ALH

Using a pd bottom end not work with an alh computer system.The crank shaft reluctor is incorrect,has too many notches.Consists of a pulse train about 60 notches were as an alh has only 4 notches.Reluctors are not interchangeable so I was informed.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Using a pd bottom end not work with an alh computer system.The crank shaft reluctor is incorrect,has too many notches.Consists of a pulse train about 60 notches were as an alh has only 4 notches.Reluctors are not interchangeable so I was informed.
you were mis-informed:D ....I'm using a BHW PD bottom end with an ALH head and reluctor wheel....very interchangeable ....I did have to drill the block for the lower Idle roller stud but over 16K miles on the "frankenmotor" so far :) .... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=308134

Last edited:

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
you were mis-informed:D ....I'm using a BHW PD bottom end with an ALH head and reluctor wheel....very interchangeable ....I did have to drill the block for the lower Idle roller stud but over 16K miles on the "frankenmotor" so far :) .... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=308134
forgive me if im wrong but wouldn't the BHW/BEW head and computer better? the PD injectors can give the injectors more fill time & higher RPM as each piston has it own pump, there for its own plunger...not 1 plunger shared between 4 cylinders + the extra stress of twisting and compressing fluids.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
forgive me if im wrong but wouldn't the BHW/BEW head and computer better? the PD injectors can give the injectors more fill time & higher RPM as each piston has it own pump, there for its own plunger...not 1 plunger shared between 4 cylinders + the extra stress of twisting and compressing fluids.
Really was not going for RPM in this build...it's a truck motor....I agree the PD is better in many ways, I love my 05' :)....however I built the engine based on my resources and knowledge @ the time...Had I been in possesion of a complete PD BHW engine it most likely would have made it into the conversion....

marc_vdberg

TDI
alh toyota pickup
I have a alh with a vnt17 in a 90 Toyota pickup as my daily driver. An alh is the best choice for me as I have everything for it. All the pds I can get ahold of have bad heads. From the sounds of it I should just stick with the alh block I have.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
As for the block its self, BEW and ALH blocks should pretty much be the same thing. The differences are in the connecting rods and pistons. The rods are triangle shaped on the small end to help take load better. Ditto for the pistons. The problem is that BEW pistons have no valve cutouts like ALH pistons do. BRM pistons should work as well as ARL PD150s.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I'm pretty sure the lower idle roller stud is in the wrong location on the BEW block to use in a VE application...of course that's what drills and taps are for :D....and that's how I was able to use a BHW with a VE head I redrilled the block for lower idle roller stud...

marc_vdberg

TDI
alh toyota pickup
Ok then really if I am going to replace the pistons and rods with upgraded stuff then there is no difference. I will stick with the alh block I have then.
thank you all for the input.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
ALH block will be fine :)....I've been considering another hybrid of sorts with BEW pistons and rods in an ALH block (stuff I have sitting around of course)...the BEW pistons will need valve reliefs cut for the VE head but hey I've got the stuff!!...good luck with your swap...keep us updated!

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Are the rod and main journals, caps and fasteners the same size between the two? I thought the PD's were heavier, or is it just the rods?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Are the rod and main journals, caps and fasteners the same size between the two? I thought the PD's were heavier, or is it just the rods?
BEW, BRM PD rods have the same journal size as ALH, AHU, 1Z...the euro PD150 and the US spec BHW PD have large beefy rod journals although the mains are the same size in all the above....

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
BEW, BRM PD rods have the same journal size as ALH, AHU, 1Z...the euro PD150 and the US spec BHW PD have large beefy rod journals although the mains are the same size in all the above....
Thanks Jim... though I've worked on mine a ton, nothing yet on internals. My day will come, no doubt.