BEW info

David Sword

TDI
2004 Beetle 5 speed
Does anyone know of any book on modifying the BEW engine. What can be removed without killing it. Not worried
About the check engine light. Only info I can find is on the ALH.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There are plenty of posts here on this site. Not really sure what modifications you are after. For power mods, the BEW responds nicely to a mild tune. I would also have the vane sensor and lambda sensor tuned out while you're at it. Both are potential problem areas and neither 'needs' to be there.

Next step I'd probably swap in the more robust Garrett VNT17 and a one-piece PD130 type intake manifold and ditch the worthless twin-port one the engine has. After that, you'll be looking at swapping in a BRM/BHW head (no split port) and an even bigger turbo.... but really I think a mild tune alone is pretty impressive of a bump. Probably ~25% and good solid smokeless reliability.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
There are plenty of posts here on this site. Not really sure what modifications you are after. For power mods, the BEW responds nicely to a mild tune. I would also have the vane sensor and lambda sensor tuned out while you're at it. Both are potential problem areas and neither 'needs' to be there.

Next step I'd probably swap in the more robust Garrett VNT17 and a one-piece PD130 type intake manifold and ditch the worthless twin-port one the engine has. After that, you'll be looking at swapping in a BRM/BHW head (no split port) and an even bigger turbo.... but really I think a mild tune alone is pretty impressive of a bump. Probably ~25% and good solid smokeless reliability.
You can drop a BHW head onto a BEW? Really?

Douglas

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The bare head, yes. The BRM and BHW use the same bare head. The only difference in the casting for the BEW is that those have the split intake ports, so there is a web of aluminum down the middle of each port.

Now each engine uses different cam, injectors, etc. and the BRM also uses a different cam hub. Maybe even the valves are different, I'd have to look that up.

David Sword

TDI
2004 Beetle 5 speed
I have cut out the little butterfly’s in the intake manifold and have plans of removing the egr and the cooler. I am also installing
The Garret turbo. I will then need a tune. What do you recommend we have no one that I know of within 300 miles that can
Do a tune. Maybe one of those that uses the OBD port ?

David Sword

TDI
2004 Beetle 5 speed
I have looked at the Malone catalog but don’t understand the process yet. They brag about their customer service
And don’t have a phone number. I see they have dealers all over the country but as we all know not all dealers are equal.
Who do you trust?