BEW Head studs / head bolts. Needed?

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Alright another question so I can cover my bases in the future to come here. I've decided on purchasing a darkside 2260 kit to throw at the BEW. My worry is with the added potential boost is it suggested to upgrade the head studs and head bolts? I've done a lot of reading on the subject but nothings definitive.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
I think if you are going north of 2500 bar (absolute) you need head studs in my opinion. My 1749VB running a peak of 2600 bar, lifted the factory bolts and I had over heating issues, the 2nd head gasket was installed with factory bolts and it didn't take long for the same thing happened. Now with ARP head studs - no issues. Cheap insurance if you ask me!

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
I don't think those are actually ARP headstuds. Just a sourced headstud that they sell with ARP lube. However I don't think that takes away from the benefit from going to a stud. I was just perplexed on where they found ARP studs because I don't see them on their website and have constantly looked for them.

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Ah I see, didn't even notice that. I know Whitbread was making some a long while ago now but price point was similar. Sadly I don't foresee a better option. The make shift ones some members were doing when this all started seem like a lot of work and no guarantee.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Cylinder pressures have much more to do with needing head studs than boost. Running 20 psi boost but a lot of timing advance, at low RPM, etc will be really hard on parts.

My TT has a GTB2260 on a stock BEW long block running ~30 PSI and so far so good, though it does not see a lot of miles or continuous use. It also does not make much bottom end power which is easier on the hard parts as suggested above.

I think on PD's, you can just upgrade to 12.9 capscrews for a significant increase in clamping load (with the associated installation procedure) without a significant expense.

If you're not aiming for over 200 HP/300 ft-lbf, 12.9's are likely sufficient. If you're going for "big" power, then get the good stuff since there's so much time/$$ invested.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Some upgrade to the PD150 bolts. I think they are slightly stronger.

I have a set of Whitbread's in both the ALH and for the BHW build.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Ah I see, didn't even notice that. I know Whitbread was making some a long while ago now but price point was similar. Sadly I don't foresee a better option. The make shift ones some members were doing when this all started seem like a lot of work and no guarantee.
I'm sure they will be fine, I may spring for them as well. There's nothing special about ARP other suppliers have studs with equivalent strength ARP just sells more aftermarket.