Bew engine

LeisureDave

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta tdi
How do they compare to alh? Fixability, reliability, longevity, etc? I’m looking at a super clean 2005 golf tdi with 425k km, if that was an alh I wouldn’t worry because mine has more than that and I’m at least a bit familiar with the engine, but I know next to nothing about the bew’s

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
How do they compare to alh? Fixability, reliability, longevity, etc? I’m looking at a super clean 2005 golf tdi with 425k km, if that was an alh I wouldn’t worry because mine has more than that and I’m at least a bit familiar with the engine, but I know next to nothing about the bew’s
If it's super clean and a manual transmission, and priced right, I would not hesitate. BEW's have their quirks, but they are all figured out by now and fixable. Clean body, clean interior, I'd be a buyer if I was in the market.

LeisureDave

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta tdi
Interior is not amazing, but no rust and it looks great on the outside. Manual transmission with apparently nothing wrong, timing belt done 60k km ago and relatively new clutch. He wants 3500 cad…seems pretty solid

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
Biggest concern at that KM is the cam and lifters. They CAN (and do) wear out, and it's a big ticket repair. Interior pieces can be found and replaced, but rust repair is expensive.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
Hopefully someone else will chime in on that. I do know removing the valve cover and looking at the chamfer on the cam lobes is a way to check.

P.S. this is a Mk4 2005 and not a mk5 2005, correct? Mk5 is a completely different animal

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Any way to tell how they are based on how it’s running?
[/QUOTE]

A really bad one yes but a not so bad one or marginally bad one no. Just pull the valve cover or pay to have the valve cover off for visual inspection. If seller will not allow then time to move on.

LeisureDave

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta tdi
Hopefully someone else will chime in on that. I do know removing the valve cover and looking at the chamfer on the cam lobes is a way to check.

P.S. this is a Mk4 2005 and not a mk5 2005, correct? Mk5 is a completely different animal
Oh not sure, I didn’t know that was something to look out for

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI, 3rd gen Cummins 2500, ALH Sedan
I put 700k-km on a BEW on the original cam. I've also had 2 ALH's with <300k that needed cams replaced. I changed the oil on the BEW since new, the ALH's were second hand with no history. BEW is great.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
i have 487k miles on my 05 Golf with the BEW. I have replaced the cam but you can do that in your driveway in a weekend. Pull the valve cover check the chamfer on the lobes of the cam if the edges are sharp a new cam is in order if you can still see chamfer on all the lobes you’re good. The tips of the lobes seem to be the first to start wearing.

One side note when you first pull the valve cover the valve train does not look anything like an ALH. It’s intimidating at first glance, you’ll have to visually “hunt” for the cam lobes.

If it’s a clean no rust model I would go for it, if you find the cam is in need of replacement you can use that as a bargaining point to lower the asking price. A new cam kit from cascadegerman and the breakin oil to do the job right will cost around $500.

DuraBioPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW Jetta (5spd)
Your in Canada which helps out with the cam issue. One factor is hot weather and super thin oil (texas). They seem at least casually related to failing earlier in hot states.

You would hear a puffing/thumping noise on the intake if the cam is bad.

Ask what type of oil they have been running. Hopefully synthetic 5w-40 Rotella T6 or Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck.

Beyond that the injectors are damn good and if its running fine then likely have lots of life left.

BEW is just fine. You will likely need suspension parts and possibly brake parts. Like any used car someone is selling they are done with it and likely needs some work to get back to tip top shape. Parts are plentiful and they are pretty easy to work on though.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
BEWs are fine. I'd be more concerned about the condition of the car itself.

I love my BEW... although it'll never have the MPGs of the ALH, it is decent enough. It is unfortunately an automatic, but the 5sp 09A Jatco unit these used in the G/J is far better than the 4sp 01M turd the ALHs got bolted to.

It's actually pretty peppy around town, and will pull on the highway really well, too.