Better headlights for a MKIV Jetta?

VWmeow

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Stock are eh... even after changing the lens covers to glass..

I have see LOTS of aftermarket ones... HID ones, dual beams E-Code replica's and even some actual e-codes...

Still not clear as to what is actually regarded as an excellent headlight for a 2003 MKIV Jetta

What do you say?

Thanks

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Look up user freakwitharacket in the vendors section. He's got the recommended stuff, if you're wanting to really get some good lights.

If I had a Jetta I'd be going that route. Stock Golf lights are a fair amount better than the Jetta's. I've got bulbs similar to what SFHGolfTDI mentions above (though they're Sylvania's) in my own car (haven't put them in the wife's yet).

I'm about ready to go glass, seeing my lenses already needing to be polished again when I did that less than a year ago!

TNguy

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
I have the projectors with HID ballast and glass lens from freakwithracket that's linked in post #2

Wow is all I can say...I recommend them to anyone looking for an upgrade

Tdidiesel02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
Yeah i have some Projectors from freakwith a rachet and the lights are absolutely amazing. Whatever you do, do not buy the cheap ass Ebay lights, complete junk. Get the ones from Freak and you will not regret it.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
I have see LOTS of aftermarket ones... HID ones, dual beams E-Code replica's and even some actual e-codes...
Still not clear as to what is actually regarded as an excellent headlight for a 2003 MKIV Jetta
What do you say?
Thanks
Where did you get glass lens covers?

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr

What do you say?

Thanks
I have an 03' Jetta, GLS, and have had it for about 5 years. In that time I have gone through about every variation, suggestion and opinions from other forum members and outsiders, to improve my lights, and I wound up with a couple of shelves full of useless lights. In also have two MK 4 Golfs, and those lights are Hella e/codes from Germany, with +bulbs from Candlepower in Rockville Md. Those lights border on 'awesome'. So, I decided to just stop messing around and replaced the front clip on the Jetta, with one from a MK4 Golf, and installed a set of Hella MK5 E-code lights (in a MK4 configuration), along with the aforementioned bulbs, and a custom light bar, using Hella 550 driving lights and Cibie' 175 fog lights, all with 100 Watt bulbs. The result is that I basically "replace the sun after dark". Driving 72 miles at night through 'deer country' to get to work, they have pretty much taken away the 'white knuckle' driving, that I was doing before the change.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Intech, are you saying that just the Hella e-codes plus the Candlepower bulbs are a great set up on the Golfs? Are you running fogs in those?

I really want to get the best light I can as my wife and I also do lots of back-country driving, her more so.

Good thread here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=302178

And (from that thread), this explains the difference with the Jetta and Golf lights (and mentions mk4 vs mk5 - Jetta diff):
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3212785&postcount=13

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
There are a lot of options and approaches for lighting. Before you get too far, check that the ones you have are pointed correct.
Driving around here adjacent to woods and streams require extra coverage to see all the frigin deer. Driving those same lights in the city can border on dangerous.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
Intech, are you saying that just the Hella e-codes plus the Candlepower bulbs are a great set up on the Golfs? Are you running fogs in those?

I really want to get the best light I can as my wife and I also do lots of back-country driving, her more so.

Good thread here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=302178

And (from that thread), this explains the difference with the Jetta and Golf lights (and mentions mk4 vs mk5 - Jetta diff):
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3212785&postcount=13
E-mail with pic sent

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Intech, did you PM me? (not seeing anything popping up there or in my e-mail)

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got it (and responded). Thanks!

WardB

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB
Wonder if the OP adjusted his lights? Mine are adequate when accurately adjusted.

Here, 100 watt bulbs will get you pulled over by UHP and ticketed. Last I read, DOT code was -35 watts.

Last edited: