Better C.V. Joint Boots

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2005 silver Passat Sedan & 2005 Wagon Stone Henge Gray
Our Passat diesels get rubber CV boots.
My mechanic's gas Passat (dunno his year) gets a Plastic material for the CV boot on his gas version.

My rubber CV boots crack open - allowing dirt in to destroy the CV joint.
His plastic CV boots he says last far longer than mine. Up to 130,000 miles before they go.

Unfortunately VW keeps handing the diesels out the rubber boots at the parts dept. I assume one can simply order a Passat Gas Boot and hope the diameter is the same as the diesel but does anyone know of a better quality (non rubber) after market CV boot source for our cars?

Blair

Dean

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI(Sold)
No wonder my 2002 Passat V6 4motion has never done a CV Boot before.

The TDI has already done it twice. ***?

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Dean,

same here, on my wagon left boot went last year - took the CV with it...Last week the right boot went. Clicking sound on hard right turns on accelleration. You know that sound is another CV joint. Wagon just broke 51,000 miles.
Can't wait for the sedan to go next.

I had a similar issue with my Jetta TDI - sway bar rubber bushing would go and the sway bar would clank metal to metal. VWNA even but a letter out on it - but it didn't impress the dealer. Did the repair outside of warranty - but - found some after market poly bushing said to be bullet proof. Was hoping someone found a similar aftermarket CV boot or knew if the Passat GAS non rubber fit on the diesel - maybe it's the same half shaft and CV joint but dunno

Blair

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Found out today that VW updated our CV Joint boots with a new material. That they are aware of the original boots not lasting long. Some of you might find your original boots cracking open and then dirt taking out your CV Joint. Since I've lost both the factory originals I'm told no need to look for aftermarket - VW attrempted a cure. I hope the information is correct.

Blair

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Grrrrr!!

~20K miles on my new (not OEM) CV joints and I am hearing a slight clicking sound when turning corners slowly. Boots are not leaking grease or split. :(

This car is wearing me out.....:mad:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
are you sure your replaced cv joints aren't made of Chinesium? maybe you still have the original ones around.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Metalman Parts supplied.....a very respected vendor here. Could be I just have a bad one. But they are Italian replacements. However, that is not holding water much around here anymore.:rolleyes:

http://www.metalmanparts.com/product.sc?productId=481&categoryId=78

"Outer CV joint kit for 2004 and 2005 Passat TDI. Kit includes new pregreased cv joint, boot, clamps and bolt. Fits left or right side. Replaces VW part number 3BO 498 099 E. Usually Italian Metelli. FREE SHIPPING IN THE US."

The key word "Usually".....

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
"Outer CV joint kit for 2004 and 2005 Passat TDI. Kit includes new pregreased cv joint, boot, clamps and bolt. Fits left or right side. Replaces VW part number 3BO 498 099 E. Usually Italian Metelli. FREE SHIPPING IN THE US."
The key word "Usually".....
I'll have to look at the box they came in as I still have it in the garage. I'm in NYC right now enjoying the congestion, confusion and hysteria....:p

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Yes, probably the most interesting one with respect to replacing 100 year old bridges with no interruption in getting 50,000 cars a day from Manhattan to the Bronx. The project is ending next summer once the roads on both sides of the bridge are rebuilt and re-directed.

I work on operation efficiencies and regulatory issues for the main contractor (Kiewit).

Last edited:

Calif05Passat

TDI
2014 Cayenne Diesel
Similarly replaced both oem CV joints due to noise and broken rubber. Now clicking again on tight turns--both sides! Only 91K miles as of this morning!! Unchainig, engine mounts, timing belt, new alternator pully etdc, etc in 91K. Over $5K additional costs that should not have been required at this mileage. I do live on a dirt road but drive it at 10mph. I love driving the car but it is as expensive as my old Porche!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
.....Clicking sound on hard right turns on accelleration.
~20K miles on my new (not OEM) CV joints and I am hearing a slight clicking sound when turning corners slowly.
Now clicking again on tight turns--both sides!
My data point: Slight (not loud) clicking from left or from right side at slow speed (1st gear) when straightening from a turn!?!? :confused: Straightening from a sharp left (like turning at a 4 way intersection) makes something on the left click. Straightening from a similar right turn moves the click to that side.
If I hold the tight turn (empty parking lot practice and investigation) there is no noise, it's as I unwind the steering wheel that the clicking starts, and it's road speed related.
ASR/traction control can't deal with the quickly changing ratios of wheel rotation and has a fit? Maybe?
It's done this since I've had the car (50k miles). I've replaced boots, but the C/V are still holding up.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Even though I am detecting a slight click when going around corners (slowly), I am not going to worry until a boot is damaged, which neither is at the moment.

Dean

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI(Sold)
Found out today that VW updated our CV Joint boots with a new material. That they are aware of the original boots not lasting long. Some of you might find your original boots cracking open and then dirt taking out your CV Joint. Since I've lost both the factory originals I'm told no need to look for aftermarket - VW attrempted a cure. I hope the information is correct.

Blair
My 1st Outer CV Boot(Both sides replaced by VW Dealer in August 2010) ripped September 2011(just over the 12 month warranty) in 12,000 miles. Done by the same VW Dealer that owner bought the car NEW from.

I don't think they fixed the problem.

(Car is bone stock)

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
maybe as Blair said, there has been a recent change in boot material. since Sept 2010 we've had new gp's and possibly improved wiper blades

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
I guess I am fortunate: 2004 B5.5V, now at 150,000 miles. Replaced both outer CV joint boots once, when they first split. The original CV joints are just fine.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
maybe as Blair said, there has been a recent change in boot material. since Sept 2010 we've had new gp's and possibly improved wiper blades

If it were like the the glow plugs, then the new boots would cause the axles to not work followed by a 1 year process of figuring out how to sole that problem with a new and improved boot to replace the new and improved boot.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I need the "new improved" wipers as my pair oxidized so bad in this heat wave/drought this year they are hard as a rock. My door locks seem to be OK, but I did turn off the seat belt and door open chime. My TC code has vanished and shifting is fine again, so what gives?

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
My data point: Slight (not loud) clicking from left or from right side at slow speed (1st gear) when straightening from a turn!?!? :confused: Straightening from a sharp left (like turning at a 4 way intersection) makes something on the left click. Straightening from a similar right turn moves the click to that side.
If I hold the tight turn (empty parking lot practice and investigation) there is no noise, it's as I unwind the steering wheel that the clicking starts, and it's road speed related.
ASR/traction control can't deal with the quickly changing ratios of wheel rotation and has a fit? Maybe?
It's done this since I've had the car (50k miles). I've replaced boots, but the C/V are still holding up.
This sounds like a sway bar bushing to me.. mine has been making this "click" under the exact circumstances as yours. I've had the click for more than a year, but was only after a track day that it got loud enough for me to figure out what it was.

Is it just one or two "clicks"? CV joints will "click, click, click, click..." when the wheels are turned. If you only get one or two clicks as you do tight circles in a parking lot (and then they quit) then you can be fairly sure that you need to fix your sway bar linkage somewhere.

Also, (maybe you already know?), I've read some places that removing the front sway bar and installing a stiffer rear sway bar dramatically improves handling (reduces understeer and keeps drive wheels in contact with the ground more). I'm thinking that the best solution to this problem (for the driving enthusiast) is to remove the front sway bar entirely, stiffen up the rear beam, and voila- one less thing on the car to go wrong!! :D

Last edited:

Biodezl

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Teal; Golf, 1999, Metalic Green, Auto
I just received a replacement CV boot kit from 1stVWParts that was back ordered for a few days...I wonder if it is the new version? Anyone know how I could tell the difference?

This will be replacing a previous CV boot repair that failed due to improper installation. There is a hairline cut that appears to be caused by a sharp metal object being used to fit the boot onto the wheel hub. Interestingly, I was able to repair it using "form a gasket". It's been holding for over 5,000 miles.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
boots might look shiny if they are the newest ones