///// best way to haul plywood on the roof rack /////

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Maybe they just wanted the hitch and hookup sale? They always tried to sell me something when renting in the past.
The hitch was installed by the PO, receipt from U-haul was in the maintenance records.

They didn't try to sell my wife anything, but they did hook up the trailer and check the lights for her

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
When you are so thrifty you wont even pay for delivery I can only imagine how you try to save in other ways. Thriftiness will often times find you having no friends who will put up with you. Maybe that's why you're asking us about using a car rather than a friend with a truck for a favor.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
When you are so thrifty you wont even pay for delivery I can only imagine how you try to save in other ways. Thriftiness will often times find you having no friends who will put up with you. Maybe that's why you're asking us about using a car rather than a friend with a truck for a favor.
That’s so funny it hurts. I’m fortunate to have friends that also require putting up with

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf 6MT; 2015 Sportwagen 6MT; 2016 A3 e-tron 6DSG
The thrifty folks (you can just come out and say "cheap SOB" ;) ) found on these boards is also the type, though, who, when something breaks, will take it apart, figure out how/why, and fix it (for a whole lot less than buying a new one).
I have no problem "putting up" with such friends. :D

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Here's an old thread that some of you guys may enjoy revisiting. "What have you fit in your car?"

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Not likely U-haul would allow a trailer to leave their lot attached to a Mk4 Jetta. They go by manufacturer towing specs, unlike the lumber store
I rent Uhaul trailers all the time. I think I pulled my stats on uhaul.com and i have done that about 2 times since 2017, twice this year. I have pulled the 4x8 box trailer, the 4x8 open trailer, and the 5x9 ramp trailers.

It's my way of not having a truck. $15 to 19 plus tax for up to 24 hours is cheap.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Here's an old thread that some of you guys may enjoy revisiting. "What have you fit in your car?"

Hatchbacks win every time. I should have bought the Golf in retrospect.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
The load is going to be distributed to whatever points of contact to the roof you have
You know I was looking at the factory rack on my wagon and it got me to thinking I noticed that the back of the rack goes all the way to the rear of the car which I guess has a structural support because of the hatch area

Then I noticed in the front it's somewhat structural because it's near the windshield and I'm guessing that area is fairly beefy to help support the windshield area Etc

Lastly I noticed a support kind of Midway in the form of a little block was positioned somewhat over a seemingly structural looking part namely the little pillar that comes down in front of the rear glass.

Seeing that little block got me to thinking ... suppose I were to go to the junkyard and somehow get those 2 little block (kind of in the middle of the rack although it's more skewed rearward) ... And add them to my rack but place them a little further forward namely in the area between the front and rear doors that seems like a pretty structural area where the shoulder strap mounts to...

I'm wondering how much stronger that would make the rack in terms of load handling ability

I'm not a mathematician but I'm thinking if three supports basically on each side allows for a 75 kg load on the roof it's bound to add some more weight rating if I can add an extra block on each side over top of the pillar where the seat belt fastens for the shoulder harness for the front seat...

Although that would require the dropping of the headrest I'm thinking that should work to add extra strength and stability for the rack ....

What do you think? In theory how much more capacity should that add ? I don't know how to work the mathematics behind it but there has to be some correlation between three supports on each side factory rated at 75 kg and then you add two more supports that's got to add some more capacity correct?

Thanks

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You would need to remove the headliner and weld in supports between the sheet metal roof and the B-pillar, similar to that under the C-pillar blocks.

Not worth the effort IMHO. I have carried at least double the rated load at highway speeds with no issues.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”

Wow, looks like I need a wagon now 😂
Although, I stuffed my 5 piece drum set, a big Bluetooth speaker and some luggage into my Rabbit several years ago and that didn't even really fill it.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
You know I was looking at the factory rack on my wagon and it got me to thinking I noticed that the back of the rack goes all the way to the rear of the car which I guess has a structural support because of the hatch area

Then I noticed in the front it's somewhat structural because it's near the windshield and I'm guessing that area is fairly beefy to help support the windshield area Etc

Lastly I noticed a support kind of Midway in the form of a little block was positioned somewhat over a seemingly structural looking part namely the little pillar that comes down in front of the rear glass.

Seeing that little block got me to thinking ... suppose I were to go to the junkyard and somehow get those 2 little block (kind of in the middle of the rack although it's more skewed rearward) ... And add them to my rack but place them a little further forward namely in the area between the front and rear doors that seems like a pretty structural area where the shoulder strap mounts to...

I'm wondering how much stronger that would make the rack in terms of load handling ability

I'm not a mathematician but I'm thinking if three supports basically on each side allows for a 75 kg load on the roof it's bound to add some more weight rating if I can add an extra block on each side over top of the pillar where the seat belt fastens for the shoulder harness for the front seat...

Although that would require the dropping of the headrest I'm thinking that should work to add extra strength and stability for the rack ....

What do you think? In theory how much more capacity should that add ? I don't know how to work the mathematics behind it but there has to be some correlation between three supports on each side factory rated at 75 kg and then you add two more supports that's got to add some more capacity correct?

Thanks
The safety design of the vehicle would take into account roof support upon a rollover, so you’re probably over thinking it

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I rent Uhaul trailers all the time. I think I pulled my stats on uhaul.com and i have done that about 2 times since 2017, twice this year. I have pulled the 4x8 box trailer, the 4x8 open trailer, and the 5x9 ramp trailers.

It's my way of not having a truck. $15 to 19 plus tax for up to 24 hours is cheap.
I’ve actually never tried to rent one that small and it hadn’t occurred to me. I must have been thinking car haulers because that’s all I ever rented. Rented one in Dallas as a matter of fact

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Nah, this is too much :cool: :

It wasn't a problem, but I did avoid speeds over 100km/h - and only did it at all because the trailer hitch had rusted out and we needed a working refrigerator for Thanksgiving.

I wouldn't hesitate to put 200kg on the roof, especially if the load doesn't present significant wind resistance.
Wow a fridge ! .... impressive .... I'd be worried about loading and unloading potential damage but wow! ... makes plywood seem easy ha ....

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
You would need to remove the headliner and weld in supports between the sheet metal roof and the B-pillar, similar to that under the C-pillar blocks.

Not worth the effort IMHO. I have carried at least double the rated load at highway speeds with no issues.
If I see a wagon in the junkyard I'll have to check it out .... my headliner is falling in my car so at some point it'll come out to fix... thanks

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow a fridge ! .... impressive .... I'd be worried about loading and unloading potential damage but wow! ... makes plywood seem easy ha ....
No problem. It was in a truck with a hydraulic platform, I just backed the Jetta under the platform and tilted it onto the roof rack.

The roof rack is just a couple of inches higher than the deck at my place, so I slid it along a couple of 2x10s onto the deck, tilted it onto a dolly, and wheeled it inside. One man job :cool: