best tuner for elevation

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
Hey I have a bone stock 2003 golf and I live about 7200 ft. This car sees elevations from 100ft to 12,000ft. So I want to get a chip stage one or two which tuner would be the best to work with? Also planned mods will not be to much more other than removing the muffler and some intercooler pipe mods.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Id think that any of them would suffice but id recommend one that offers flash tools for sale or rent. That way you can ensure everything works as it should at the varying elevations without having to mail your ECU back and forth to the tuner. I know how differently cars act at sea level and 5k ft. I can only imagine 12k... Must suck lol.

toastyjosh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver 2door golf
Yea i guess i really dont remember sea level, I only go there once a year. Even at 7k It does not really feel that different. Going over the High 12k passes it still goes but it is a bit laggy.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Malone had asked me about my elevation for my last set of chips - it sounds like he can do some stuff with it to make sure you're safe.

Jon

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
Elevation is mentioned in this page: http://malonetuning.com/?page_id=272

I tune a lot of Vanagon TDIs (we have two dealers that are dedicated to Vanagon & Eurovan TDI conversions), quite a few of which see at least 10,000ft elevation. These TDI engines work harder in vans than in a much lighter and more aerodynamic VW Golf or Jetta. Reliability is flawless so far.