Best tire choices in 2022?

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
Have a 2010 Jetta... and quite a while back got a set of Michelin Primacy MMX4's, which were well thought of at the time. There used to be so much tire talk, way back when. I never noticed much improvement in the mpg, though they handled well and felt much better than the stock Bridgestones that actually wore out right at the 40K mile mark.

I see that they still exist, but not for 16" wheels anymore. Wondering what folks are picking out nowadays, with the thoughts of decent tire, good wear, and low rolling resistance, in 205/55 16"?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
This is assuming DOT required
RE71r Race /track/ or any driving 8/10
blizzark for snow winter
those are the best hands down for any DOT required use for specifics.
anything all seasons or all weather... 2 things you want 13/32 minimum tread, no harder than 650 UTQG
everything else is ssubjective to preference or need.
stick with these as a must or a guide and get what you can afford.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I have michelin defenders on my beetles (205/55 16 and 215/55 17). Michelin doesn’t make primacies for my 13 tdi (17” rim) either, so just went to the defender last year, it’s a little different feel than the primacy at first, but 5,000 miles later it seems the same. I have primacies on my passat (235/45 18) as the defenders aren’t made in that size.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Yokohama Avid Ascend GT. Best ECO tire I've ever had. Check the reviews at Tirerack.com

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Every person here including me who recommends a tire specifically is not bad advice but definay not the answere to your question and definay subjective... unless the member pushes the tires to the limit or has a fleet of cars and goes though tires enough to actually have a baseline to compare dozens of brands and modles or tires..... it's all subjective nonsense.

If you want the best you have a set of summer and winters on appropriate wheels and a set of race if you so do desire to race.

DigitalN

TDI
2006 Jetta Highline
I ended up choosing the Michelin CrossClimate 2's based on quite a bit of research, I don't often drive my TDI in extreme winter weather as we have an Alltrack with dedicated winters for that. So far they have been quite good with snow on the ground and are great on dry roads too.

Not sure how they have impacted fuel economy but I would recommend them if you want something that can go year round and don't have space for two sets of wheels and tires.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
The Cross Climate gets many fine reviews. I buy hybrid tires with a mountain symbol on them. Rated for severe service, but you can use them year round. Currently I have Toyo Celsius.

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
Appriciate the opinions. I probably should have gone into more details, like So Cal location, so mostly no snow unless I travel far, and only occasional rain. Occasionally spirited driving, tho not like I used to, is important, more the feel than pure traction... and quietness is also a big one for me, nowadays.

So, maybe pure Summers would be OK vs an all around, as long as it wont fall apart in the rain...

Played with the Tire Rack sorter. The Goodyear Assurance Comfortdrive is usually on top. Anyone with experience on that one? I'd be Interested in opinions of road noise on that Yokohama and the Michelen Cross Climate...