Best timing belt kit for mk4 TDI???

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Hey guys, looking to purchase a timing belt kit in the near future and I'm wondering what is the best kit out there for the best price? Car is at 265,000 miles so this will be the second timing belt change. Found a high mileage kit on KermaTDI, which includes some extra parts including a serp tensioner, egr seal, and intake manifold gasket. However, it is $100 more than the regular timing belt kit and I don't know if I need all of that or not. Suggestions?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
"Best" is subjective. My "trusted" mechanic always uses Contitech/Continental TBs. But Gates Green stripe is supposedly better. *shrugs*
Have a look at the kits at dieselgeek and idparts, maybe even cascadegerman.
All I know is the mfg. of the rollers and TB tensioner is considered very important. Current favorite for those is INA.
Can't imagine why they'd include an intake manifold gasket unless you're looking to clean and replace the IM "while you're in there".
Ehhh... it actually sounds really fun. Wish I didn't have to go to work for a month.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Most all the reputable vendors sell good stuff.

I use a Hepu, Graf, or Geba pump with a metal impeller, Continental or Gates belt, Litens tensioner, rollers are usually INA, Continental accessory belt, OEM bolts. Keep in mind, some of those items may come in someone else's box.

www.metalmanparts.com

www.IDparts.com

are a couple other reputable places for stuff.

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
Cascade German Parts and Kerma TDI come to mind also.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I just a wee bit ago did the timing belt on my '02....I mean I hired Martin Bergel to do it. I got the IDParts kit; and when offered the choice chose the more expensive part. Hope it makes some difference. Also got the tensioner and alternator clutch done. Going to have him do the new Jetta, as it had a dealership change the last one at 56k and I hate the idea of wrecking that low mileage engine...:)
cheers,
Douglas

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
Always found Dayco very robust, also comes with water pump with metal impeller.