Best shock to pair with H&R Sports?

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I am probably going to need new shocks in the next year. My Koni STR.Ts / H&R Sports have about 50k on them and are already beginning to ride rough. I can feel a lot of movement in the cabin over really small bumps. And this is on the stock 14” tire size.

I can’t bring myself to go back to stock ride height as I feel the car handles great and is reasonably comfortable, but I feel the STR.Ts are not correctly matched to the springs. They feel overdamped, but it is hard to tell how much of the movement is chassis flex vs shock degradation.

My initial thought is to plop down for some Bilstein B8s since my goal is primarily ride comfort and longevity over all-out handling. The alternative would be Koni Yellows. Any suggestions?

wildn

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI wagon 5spd! 2011 Jetta JSW TDI DSG
I have Koni Yellows paired to H/R sport springs, but it's on the A4 platform nor do I have anything to compare to(sorry if it's not pertinent). I think it feels pretty firm over bumps but the stock tires are 15's, it rides a little harsh on the rough stuff but doesn't roll anywhere as bad as it did on the stock stuff. I got a decent deal in august when the Koni's were on sale at IDparts and kerma.
But also SoCal, nice.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
If you want, im still selling my Bilsteins HD with Eibach springs and poly bushings as a full kit. PM me I never scraped or hit anything. it was just low enough to not be silly.