Best Rubber Floor Mats?

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
Ok, what floor mats are better: The Monster Mats or the WeatherTech Digifits?

http://www.weathertech.com/volkswagen/2012/passat/floorliner-digitalfit/

Are there any other even better options available for super protective rubber floor mats?

Also, are both the Monster Mats and the WeatherTech compatible with the 6-speed manual? In other words, do either obstruct the full travel of the clutch pedal?

Thanks in advance!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The Monster Mats say PASSAT on them and fit perfectly. :)

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
I like the monster mats! They are heavy duty rubber, they clip securely into place in the front, and they say "TDI" on them which is cool. The monster mats are specially shaped to fit around the floor-board contours and do not obstruct any of the pedals. I think they will last a long time.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
Either of you have experience with the WeatherTechs so you can compare? I like WeatherTechs in general but have not seen the Passat ones in person nor have compared to them to the Monster Mats, so IDK. The reason I am interested in the WeatherTechs is because they appear to provide a tad more coverage and containment, which actually means a ton to me! I just don't know if my prediction is right or not.

On a side note, if you order a Passat but you don't order the Mojo or the Monster Mats, does the car still come with at least some form of carpet protection, even temporarily?

Also, can anyone post pictures of their Monster Mats (Or WeatherTech Digifits, if you have any!) for the driver side, passenger side, and back seats of their Passat? Thanks!

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
On our SE any floor mat was an option even carpet, so if you don't order them you get nothing. Might be different on SEL's.

Can't compare both, but I have WeatherTech's in the Truck and Monster's in the Passat. I have had WeatherTech's in 3 vehicles and lived where all weather mats are actually needed. I don't take the car into Texas mud ;) In any case I am extremely happy with the Monsters and would order them on the next car over the WeatherTech. Hope that helps.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, a little web search helped me out on the WeatherTech side of my dilemma. Scroll down to see what I am talking about. That car is even a manual, and it clearly doesn't block the clutch:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5678906-2012-Passat-Weathertech-floor-mats.&p=77350092
I hate to sound like Bill and Ted, but those Digifits look "most bodacious!"
Still, I would like to see some pictures of the Monster Mats, if possible, for comparison's sake. I will say, the Monster Mats are gonna have to be pretty miraculous if they plan on topping what I just saw!:D:D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Excuse the dirt...

Those WeatherTech liners are crazy. Good if you're in the mud a lot!

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
Excuse the dirt...

Those WeatherTech liners are crazy. Good if you're in the mud a lot!
Thanks VeeDub!
I don't mind the dirt; the mats are simply doing their job!
I'm assuming you mean crazy in a good way! From what I've seen, I think I'll go with the WeatherTechs, for they seem to provide a bit more coverage on the sides.
Thanks again!

bigred 7.3l

TDI
'13 SEL Prem Night Blue on Black
I just ordered Weather techs and should have them in the car next week. If someone does not post pics of them prior to that I will try to get some posted up.

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
I just ordered Weather techs and should have them in the car next week. If someone does not post pics of them prior to that I will try to get some posted up.
Cool, thanks!

I look forwards to hearing your opinions on them!

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2013 Passat
I am going to be following this thread. My 2013 SEL should be here next week sometime and it does have the Monster mats coming with the car. I do however have Weathertech's in every other vehicle I have they always fit really good and do a great job protecting the carpet.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
I got Monsterz in me TDI and WeatherTech in me Hemi WK Cherokee.
These are very different - Monster is real soft and nicely ribbed :p for your feet's pleasure. WT are flat and hard.

Both fit like gloves and will hold slush and water like nothing else, with WT getting the crown for larger capacity in that dept.

I like how me feet/boots feel on Monsters, soft, secure and no sliding. Hard soled boots do slide like crazy on WT.

Your choice.

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I went through TWO sets of monster mats in 80k of miles, so I bought some Lloyds custom cut mats. Here is a photo. They have held up very nicely so far.

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
I just recently installed Weathertechs in my truck, and I have the Monsters in my Passat. I agree with r11's report. I'll add that the Weathertechs, because they are much thinner, they are lighter and tend to flop around a bit by the pedals. I had also had to cut a spot for the clutch pedal, but that may not be the case for Passat Weathertechs.

I'm interested in how long either lasts. I'm thinking that the Monsters may last longer, because you don't have to bend them that much to get them in and out of the car for cleaning. Weathertechs have to be contorted to get them in place. As of now, my vote is for the Monsters.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I had Weathertech digital fit floor liners in two prior vehicles (Jeep Compass and Chrysler Town and Country) and in our Burb ($400 worth alone!). I love them. My Passat came with the Monster Mats, which I do not like as well. They are softer, but do not cover as well. If WT made a 1-piece 2nd row, I'd order them to replace inside the cabin.

I love the Monster Mat cargo mat with blocks, though!

Last edited:

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
Bought mine @ Wal-Mart... the heavy duty ones... no issues in 10+ YEARS of owning 'em... Check it out here: Floor mats

bigred 7.3l

TDI
'13 SEL Prem Night Blue on Black

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Right click on the picture, copy image URL, paste into the forums and put image tags around the URL. There is also a picture how to sticky post in TDI101.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I like the coverage of the front ones. The rear are not great. I wish we had a flat rear floor. :(

gr8smile66

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT, NightBlue/Beige
I bought Husky floorliners and cargo mat before I got my Passat because I didn't order the Monster mats with the car, but they included them anyway. The Husky liners are similar to the WeatherTech digital fit. I have the Weathertech in my 11 Subaru Forester, and they have a "bubble" on the passenger side front which is annoying. Other than that the rest of the mats fit well.

In the Passat, I use the Husky floor liner on the driver side and the fit is good, but the clutch pedal does "click" the liner, but doesn't get hung up in it or anything, and the coverage is much better than the included Monster Mats. I also appreciate that the Huskies tan color matches my cornsilk interior, and the Monster Mats only come in Black. For the rest of the car, I have put the Monster Mats on top of the Huskies, for double protection, and when I need to, I can remove the Monster mats and have a clean tan look while keeping the carpet protection.

I do wish that the rear mats were one piece and would also cover the hump, like the Weathertechs do in the Subaru.

The CarGo mat is great. I wish I hadn't ordered the Husky mat, which would have served me well if the CarGo mat wasn't included. I didn't send it back because the shipping and restocking fees, will probably try to sell it on craigslist.

germ

TDI
2012 Passat tdi 6sp man
I have both. My Passat came with Monster Mats. Ive always liked Weather tech, so I ordered them. I prefer the Weather Tech.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I was willing to give the guy the benefit of raising a necro thread. Hey, maybe he searched, right?

But then I see he spammed the thread from China....

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We have had the Husky Weatherbeaters in our Passat since new, and are delighted with them. They have high ridges around the sides and hold all the crap thrown at them, and they're easy to take out and hose off. The original driver's side front mat didn't quite fit, so I e-mailed the factory. They responded immediately that VW had changed things up front slightly, that they were aware and changing their tooling. I got a new mat that fit perfectly in less than two weeks. #1 for service!

jolvi1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Using the monster mats, seem to be wearing well and keep the carpet clean. I also have the carpeted ones and have never put them in, like the logo on them.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
After 80K+ miles, driver monster mat is starting to show signs of age. But, I can not possibly justify purchasing an entire replacement set and land-filling the 3 still-perfectly-good mats, utterly irresponsible to the environment.

Whats a man tado ?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I had weather tech mats in my old car for about 4-5 years and roughly 100k miles. They still looked good when I pulled them from the car. Since my 2011 golf didn't come with any mats I did a quick search on what folks generally recommended.

To summerize my findings:
-Monster mats are great, but they tend to quickly ware out around where your heal contacts the mat. It's worse in manual transmission cars.
-Weather tech mats, while somewhat hard last for a LONG time. Since I had no issues with them in my previous car that's exactly what I got.

The weather techs in my car have been in there for about 2 years now. Zero issues and the mats are still in great shape.

Celco

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr ALH 5-speed
I have the husker liners. I recommend them. Not as deep valleys for dirt to get trapped into, but they have tall sides and hold liquids well. They also stay in place better. The regular weather tech mats always bunch under the pedals in every car I've been in with then.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
.......The regular weather tech mats always bunch under the pedals in every car I've been in with then.
Never had that issue with the digi fit weather techs. They use the factory mounts as well so they never move more than a few mm or so.