//// Best RPM to drive at for MPG for ALH /////

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi All,

Here are some updates ...

Over the years , I updated the car as parts wore out / needed to be replaced (see signature) .

In the past (pre mod / stock ) my MPG's typically hovered in the 47 to 49 MPG range based on the driving I did.

After many of the mods (in signature) I routinely got into the low 50 mpg range doing the driving I typically do ( the max before my "peak torque" experiment was about 51.4 MPG and that only happened once before ( I think I was just driving slow without regard to peak torque)

Whereas before I only hoped to break 50 MPG , I later got "spoiled" and expected 50 MPG tanks and felt bad if it went below that.

Anyways, for the last 7 tanks , by driving at roughly 1950 RPM (near peak torque) here were my results ...

54.7 - AC sometimes off
56.85 - AC sometimes off
54.5 - AC sometimes off

These tanks were regrettably in just my regular driving and not on a set / fixed course (I used to do a 500 mile regular courier run but unfortunately (fortunately?) I don't do that loop anymore .... that regular run would have been good to see actual changes resulting for mods or driving style since it was consistent .

Seemingly, just driving at peak torque has helped my fuel economy BUT I wonder if the larger 205 75 tires contributed to this ?

Let me explain ....

I read somewhere that operating at peak torque is best for fuel economy BUT the engine has to be loaded also (loaded as in terms of gearing load).... BUT within reason ....

i.e. operating at peak torque in 1st gear is not much load and will not net out good MPG because not alot of load on the engine BUT operating in 5th gear at highway speeds would get good MPG at peak torque (assuming to aren't trying to climb a 45 degree slope!.

I guess its the whole "in moderation" thing as far as load at peak torque for best MPG?

I think maybe my switching to a bigger tire helped load the engine (by better / higher) gearing to eek out the better MPG figures ? (note I went from LRR ecopias to just bigger (not LRR) Hankooks so it most likely was NOT a more efficient tire design causing the MPG increase but just the diameter / gearing ?).

FWIW tho (in thinking about it) I used to try to keep speeds around 60-62 MPH when using the smaller tires which would be beyond peak torque (currently 1900 RPM is about 59 MPH).

Maybe I'll experiment with faster speeds but it is hard for me to do unless I run daytime more (most of my driving is at night on deer filled roads so I keep speeds lower (lower than posted even) .... I "hot rodded" it last night at the speed limit just to see more MPG figures driving at (or very near) peak torque....

Anyways, my preliminary findings are ..... get bigger tires and drive at peak torque ;-)

Reddogg12

TDI
1998 Vw Beetle TDI 259,000 miles 2006 Jetta TDI, 2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
Just got back from a trip to Tennessee. I put my cruise on 70 mph and hand calculated 47 mpg for the trip. I think it was 2300+ rpm for that speed. It's nice to just put it in 5th gear and go.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I have not found bigger diameter tires to help because they usually involve more weight and more rolling resistance. I you could get the tire taller but with the same width and close the same weight then it may help. Some have even put in a taller 5th gear but I haven't seen anyone reporting a noticeable improvement in fuel economy (1MPG is not worth the effort).

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I keep a mileage log as well and for work I do drive some pretty long distances in which I can easily go an entire tank without stopping. The best so far for which is very repeatable has been San Francisco to Phoenix and Phoenix to San Francisco. The only mods I have are an 11mm IP and a taller 5h gear. With a fully loaded Wagon (1200-1 600 lbs), RPM set at 2000 rpm I repeatedly get 54mpg. I have to downshift for the first part of the Grapevine Pass and the Chiriaco Summit. Tires are stock 195/65/15 with 38psi. I once got 57mpg driving from San Francisco to Portland but I did take advantage of the downhills and was drafting vehicles where I could.

I do not drive at the same 70mph odometer speed all the time because the turbo and internals like to be pushed. Every other tank the mileage drops to mid-high 40’s for those tanks where my average speed for the tank is 80mph. Shifting is always at 3000rpm. From 3/23/2020 I drove a total of 58242.14 miles in the wagon and I used 1182.696 gallons averaging 49.245mpg. As for fuel whenever possible I try to use 1/3 Bio and 2/3 Dino D2 but this fuel blend is not consistent.

Last edited: