Best Replacement Seats for a 2003 TDI Jetta Sedan

GWManTDI

TDI
2003 GLS TDI Jetta
Did a search and can't find anything on replacement seats. I have a 2003 TDI (for the second time - bought it for my son and after nine years bought it back from him..something wrong with that statement) that I still love how it drives but the seats leave a lot to be desired. What is the best seat to put into a 2003 TDI Jetta? I don't really care to much about the back seat - I can get it recovered...but I really want something very comfortable for the front.

Any suggestions?

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
GTI or GLI Recaros. Best thing going.
I just got a set of these. Really looking forward to getting them cleaned up, some hardware replaced/wired and enjoying the commute with them....! :D

I'm pretty sure there is a set for sale out of an 04.5 GLI, for sale in classifieds. I may be wrong but they should work in your 03.

Last edited:

Studs

TDI
2003 Golf 4D/ GL
Whatever you get I suggest replacing the bottom foam cushion. I was able to get an oem replacement from the dealer and it made a world of difference.

The J

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I'd recommend the high-bolster 'Sport' seats from the 03+ GTI. They will cheaper than GLI 'Recaro' labeled seats.

If you get seats from a 2-door GTI, they will also hinge forward for people to get into the back seat. I had these in my wagon and it was extremely helpful to be able to fold the passenger seat forward into the dash to fit larger items in the car.

The Golf rear seat backs bolt right in to the Jetta wagon (I assume sedan is the same). The rear bottom is different, but you can swap frames or live with a tiny gap on the side that only you will notice.

The airbag connector is different between the 99-02 and 03-05 if I remember correctly.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The airbag connector is different between the 99-02 and 03-05 if I remember correctly.
I've had both GTI sport seats and GTI Recaros in TDIs. The Recaros are more comfortable, especially on longer trips, as long as you fit in them. Some people complain that the bolsters are too confining. I'm a pretty small person so I find they fit really well.

And the connectors on '99.5-2000 (and maybe '01) are different than '02 and later.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Yeah I would have to agree with the GTI or GLI Recaro seats. I just bought some last month and they made a world of difference when driving to school and back (125 miles one way). Even though the seat bottom needs replacing on the driver's side, it's still 100 times more comfortable. The '02-03 for sure is the same airbag connector (at least for the GTI/Golf as I went from '02 GL seats to '03 20th Recaros). The hinge forward option is nice too, and a necessity for me in a 2 door lol.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
03 Wolfsburg seats are nice, have those in my wagon. 03's have the higher bolsters. I also put 04 Golf seats in my sister inlaw's car, cheaper version of the Wolfs but still work nicely and the best part, you can usually get those for next to nothing.

GLI seats of course but everyone want's the moon for them, :(

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
NB seats are comfortable too. they also flip forward. suggest getting the ones with bolster, either electric of manual. mine didn't come with them so I use a pad. I bought 02 fronts and back all for 120.00.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
NB seats are comfortable too. they also flip forward. suggest getting the ones with bolster, either electric of manual. mine didn't come with them so I use a pad. I bought 02 fronts and back all for 120.00.
I will have a front set of these for sale in the near future, with standard and "donut" style headrests. Black perforated pleather.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
Do any of these options come with the heat? What about Passat seats? No fit?
they could have had heat if ordered that way. can be added but a pain from what i've read.
passat will fit with modifications. easier to get jetta/golf.

RichmondKYtdi

I drove to chicago to get a set of used recaro seats, it was hands down the best investment i ever made (and having jettas for over 700,000 miles i feel like that is worth something), that was literally the hardest thing to part with when i sold my jetta.

I gave up heated seats to have the recaros, if you fit and drive a lot you will never regret it.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I drove to chicago to get a set of used recaro seats, it was hands down the best investment i ever made (and having jettas for over 700,000 miles i feel like that is worth something), that was literally the hardest thing to part with when i sold my jetta.

I gave up heated seats to have the recaros, if you fit and drive a lot you will never regret it.
I did the same thing. It took me 10 hours round trip in my Golf (which is way more than it should have, because we got 11 inches of snow that day). No "ragrets".