best oil and change interval for 260F+ daily?

jtree

TDI
2016 sportwagen TDI SE
My car is a 2016 DSG GSW TDI with a Kerma tune. I daily drive over a mountain pass that climbs from 5500 ft to 10,000 ft in 15 miles. I drive fast, often 100 mph uphill, the road has little weekday traffic, perfect pavement 3 lanes wide and very predictable police. I had sporadically checked the oil temps a couple of times and thought I was in the 230-250 but for the last couple of days I checked it for the entire drive and it was 265 F before I started to slow, I have probably been hitting 270 fairly often. My previous car was a 2016 Golf R with a JB1 tune that would have oil temps is the 240 range on this drive but only get 15 mpg instead of 34, plus it was US plated so it had to go back to the US.
Should I use a thicker oil or add a cooler? How often should I change the oil?
The car has been on a 7500 mile interval that is required by the dealer I purchased the car new from, it has been only changed it once. I am considering changing the turbo to a CR190 fairly soon.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I wouldn't worry about it. Just be sure you're getting synthetic oil. The 507 spec oils should handle those temps at that interval no problem- unless you can't get ULSD all of the time.

jtree

TDI
2016 sportwagen TDI SE
I wouldn't worry about it. Just be sure you're getting synthetic oil. The 507 spec oils should handle those temps at that interval no problem- unless you can't get ULSD all of the time.
Thanks! Ignoring is my super power.

I will get an EGT gauge or at least do a few logs after I add the CR190 turbo.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Are you saying it used to read lower or you just thought it was? If it was lower before, I'd recommend you check your oil level asap.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Up until now ULSD was not available in Mexico. Officially it will be so by the end of this year. Recently I checked three Pemex stations in my area and only one actually had a small sign on the pump saying ULSD 45.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
ULSD doesn't matter in mexico as much, their cars are set up a bit differently in the software.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I know if I was seeing those kind of temps from my car, I'd upgrade the oil and install an oil cooler. I'm not sure if either of these oils are approved to be run in your 2016, but here are 2 oils to consider.
I run this one in my track car that gets pushed really hard and sees speeds in the 130 range out on the track.
https://www.schaefferoil.com/9000-racing-oil.html

The other oil i considered was from Liqui Moly and is a 10W-60.
https://products.liqui-moly.us/oils/synthoil-race-tech-gt1-sae-10w-60-1.html

Otherwise post your question about what oil to run in this sub forum on here.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Now for an oil cooler, you can probably get one from Darkside Developments or look around for a Mocal 19 row oil cooling kit.
There might be a few more options out there that i can't remember off of the top of my head. I can look through my bookmarks when I get in front of my computer in a few days

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
A 40 wt minimum. You’re pushing the oil temp 50F above it’s normal rated hot viscosity. 50F is about 25% higher than typical 100c hot viscosity so I’d boost the minimum HTHS by at least 25% as well. That would be a synthetic > 4.4 HTHS

15w40 if you have mild winters or 5w40 if not. 15w40 is good to 0F.

Renewable Lubricants Biosyn Xtra 15w40 or 5w40
Redline 15w40 or 5w40
Amsoil SS max duty 15w40
Amsoil HD 15w40
Amsoil HD diesel marine oil 15w40

None of these above ^^^ are low saps and I don’t think 507 is appropriate for the abuse this engine is seeing.