Best mk4 TDI injectors?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
So I wasn’t gonna tune this TDI it’s my first car and it has 345k miles. I don’t know if it could handle it. So I was gonna do some “hardware” upgrades. Stuff I could move over to another TDI. Unless you guys think it can handle a tune. But Right now I’m looking at a VNT17 turbo and some .205 injectors. Probably injectors first. Im not worried about putting money into it I’m working and saving for this build all of my money is going into this car or saving for one with less Miles.
If you're going with a vnt17, you'll need to tune it. Injectors you can get by with without a tune (until you get too big) but not so much on the turbo.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
So I wasn’t gonna tune this TDI it’s my first car and it has 345k miles. I don’t know if it could handle it. So I was gonna do some “hardware” upgrades. Stuff I could move over to another TDI. Unless you guys think it can handle a tune. But Right now I’m looking at a VNT17 turbo and some .205 injectors. Probably injectors first. Im not worried about putting money into it I’m working and saving for this build all of my money is going into this car or saving for one with less Miles.
HI,

Maybe try this .... not a tune and probably better than a Evry Mod .... priced less than $60 or get the delux one for less than $90.

I'd be interested in hearing a review on these ...

Has anybody else here tried one of these or similar?

Andrew

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
If you're going with a vnt17, you'll need to tune it. Injectors you can get by with without a tune (until you get too big) but not so much on the turbo.
Hi,

You are right about the injectors ... I went to .205 and 11 mm pump without a retune and it seems ok except for over boost possibly.....

Just curious but what happens if you upgrade to a bigger turbo without a retune?

Andrew

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
More lag usually. The factory tune puts just enough "extra" fuel to spool the factory turbo. If you install bigger nozzles ( .205's ) there may be enough "extra" fuel to spool the larger turbo.
If I knew then what I know now, I would have stayed with the . 205 nozzles and maybe a vnt-17 if the stock vnt-15 died.
Running a vnt-15 at 18PSI is considered to be safe by all including some of our vendors, this commonly referred to as a Stage 3 tune. If you do a lot of city driving, the vnt-15 is very responsive from stop light to stoplight.
And DO NOT try to install the new nozzles yourself, as a small error can cause a large, costly, catastrophe.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Well to put it into perspective, my engine had 320k on it when I slapped a vnt17, 1019 injectors, and a stage 4 tune onto it. At about 360k now

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
HI,

Maybe try this .... not a tune and probably better than a Evry Mod .... priced less than $60 or get the delux one for less than $90.

I'd be interested in hearing a review on these ...

Has anybody else here tried one of these or similar?

Andrew
That's basically an evrymod, just more expensive. Basically what they do is fool the ECM with modified signals. They're a good way to ruin an engine.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
My car is tuned properly, and it will still roll coal if i am tring to get places. Its not like a big truck, but it definitely moves the car!
I should get a video so as to see exactly how much, but its definitely within reason and not unhealthy for the car.

There's always going to be some people who think their so much healthier for the earth cause they drive a tdi or a tesla (not saying anyone in particular) yet their still spraying crap on their lawn, and putting bleach in their clothes. A car is a car, just drive it. I don't see the difference between driving behind someone who blows some coal, or a v8 car on e85 that smells like high octane 1/8 mile back. Ive driven behind both. We're all polluting everything in our own way, so might as well not point fingers at our neighbor.
A lot of you may not agree but thats ok with me because we can think differently.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
My car is also tuned properly, and I get a puff of smoke when I get on it.
My intent is not to roll coal because I think it's cool.
I was well over 250k when I installed the hybrid turbo and bigger nozzles.
My Jetta is still fun to drive, especially when I shut down a Power Joke from a stoplight.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
aliexpress ".30" nozzles work great for me
just order 12 of them for like a hundred bucks to your door and pick the best four
last time I only got a single bad one, not terrible

ETA: they certainly aren't the best for my application, as I can max out pump voltage and its still running clean on the top end, but everyone else seems to charge 2-3x markup on their "bottom of the list" nozzles so I can't really justify finding a set that actually flows more fuel

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Bigger nozzles and a bigger turbo are gonna cause the clutch to slip..... that also be one of the first items you need to figure out..... how much HP are you looking to do?
If you can do the clutch that’s gonna save you some money, if you can’t do it your probably gonna drop 1000-1200 for clutch kit and labor.
Just a thought.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Agreed, best way to go is clutch first, then nozzles and tune. Turbo if you want it

Mozambiquer

TDI
aliexpress ".30" nozzles work great for me
just order 12 of them for like a hundred bucks to your door and pick the best four
last time I only got a single bad one, not terrible

ETA: they certainly aren't the best for my application, as I can max out pump voltage and its still running clean on the top end, but everyone else seems to charge 2-3x markup on their "bottom of the list" nozzles so I can't really justify finding a set that actually flows more fuel
Would not recommend... Good injectors are more than just popping at the right pressure, it's also atomizing the fuel and spreading it through the cylinder correctly. As well as not breaking down with the fuel pressure going through them. My experience with Chinese nozzles is an experience with melted Pistons and a cracked head that literally melted around the glow plug holes.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Would not recommend... Good injectors are more than just popping at the right pressure, it's also atomizing the fuel and spreading it through the cylinder correctly. As well as not breaking down with the fuel pressure going through them. My experience with Chinese nozzles is an experience with melted Pistons and a cracked head that literally melted around the glow plug holes.
that's strange
I've never lifted for EGT reasons, and with the smaller vane turbos I was running years ago it'd go from 600f to pinning the gauge at 1650f in about five seconds, so you know it was a lot hotter than that reading. No damage other than sticky vanes. With the much more reasonably sized turbos it never gets over 1200F because it's actually moving enough air to keep everything happy.
Did you notice a bunch of white smoke or high egts or anything while it was killing itself?
I've been meaning to put in 4 pyros so I can do cylinder by cylinder monitoring, haven't "got round to it"
Bigger nozzles and a bigger turbo are gonna cause the clutch to slip..... that also be one of the first items you need to figure out..... how much HP are you looking to do?
If you can do the clutch that’s gonna save you some money, if you can’t do it your probably gonna drop 1000-1200 for clutch kit and labor.
Just a thought.
not necessarily
bigger turbo and nozzles can be mapped to have the same torque output as stock, just without the whole "falling flat on its face above 2500 rpm" thing that you get from the stock turbo and (less so) nozzles

Mozambiquer

TDI
that's strange
I've never lifted for EGT reasons, and with the smaller vane turbos I was running years ago it'd go from 600f to pinning the gauge at 1650f in about five seconds, so you know it was a lot hotter than that reading. No damage other than sticky vanes. With the much more reasonably sized turbos it never gets over 1200F because it's actually moving enough air to keep everything happy.
Did you notice a bunch of white smoke or high egts or anything while it was killing itself?
I've been meaning to put in 4 pyros so I can do cylinder by cylinder monitoring, haven't "got round to it"

not necessarily
bigger turbo and nozzles can be mapped to have the same torque output as stock, just without the whole "falling flat on its face above 2500 rpm" thing that you get from the stock turbo and (less so) nozzles
It was my brother's car, and he had no egt gauge on it, so not sure what that was up to. I got the car after the engine blew and built it. It has bosio pp520 nozzles on it now with a vnt17 and Colt stage two cam. It doesn't go over 1200 degrees even on the hardest acceleration with a Malone stage 4 tune.

Outlaw534

TDI
2003 Mk4 ALH TDI Jetta wagon
Well guys thanks you for all the input. So far I’m looking at a vnt17 turbo and maybe some .205 injectors and would a stage 2 daily driver clutch do the job properly? I canceled my order for ceramic brake pads I will look into what brakes to buy. And I’m going to pick up my OEM intake to install sometime this week. Now should I buy that stuff as I have the money but wait to install it until I can tune it? I’ve done a little more research and I’m pretty certain I can stage 4 tune it safely. Probably from Malone unless you guys recommend other companies. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, on another note. My starter wire is loose so it’s not that big of a deal every once and a while I just have to reach my hand down there and plug it back in. But my hood release lever inside the car has stopped working. Not sure if it has too much slack in the cable or if the cable is not attached anymore. Anyone ever had this problem?

Mozambiquer

TDI
Well guys thanks you for all the input. So far I’m looking at a vnt17 turbo and maybe some .205 injectors and would a stage 2 daily driver clutch do the job properly? I canceled my order for ceramic brake pads I will look into what brakes to buy. And I’m going to pick up my OEM intake to install sometime this week. Now should I buy that stuff as I have the money but wait to install it until I can tune it? I’ve done a little more research and I’m pretty certain I can stage 4 tune it safely. Probably from Malone unless you guys recommend other companies. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, on another note. My starter wire is loose so it’s not that big of a deal every once and a while I just have to reach my hand down there and plug it back in. But my hood release lever inside the car has stopped working. Not sure if it has too much slack in the cable or if the cable is not attached anymore. Anyone ever had this problem?
I had the hood release problem, the sheath for the cable was broken, I got a new cable for it and it was fixed.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You can install the injectors without a tune. It's hit or miss if you can run the vnt17 without a tune, you may get boost issues. Something else you'll need is a 3bar map.
An order of operations I'd do is clutch, injectors, turbo, then tune. You do the 3bar map when you do the tune.

I personally recommend Malone, having dealt with both malone and kerma, definitely prefer Malone over the latter, but that's because I'm a bit biased.

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78 with ALH Swap
I used Malone for my Stage 4 because the engine I got came with their tune loader and a Stage 1. I've been very happy with their service thus far. I bought injector nozzles from Kerma and had them mount and calibrate them and they did a superb job. I cannot recommend using cheap nozzles or having them installed by anyone who doesn't have the equipment to properly calibrate and balance them. The first set of nozzles I used were installed by a reputable diesel injection shop, but without proper calibration and caused all kinds of problems, including rough running, lots of smoke and crazy exhaust temperatures. Cruising temps were regularly 1300ºF+ and any acceleration or hills would push it above 1450-1550. I once tried to do a 3rd gear full throttle pull and backed out quickly when it spiked to 1680ºF. The new nozzles from Kerma fixed all that and it runs nice and cool now and still has good power.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
So why are you trying to do an evry mod? you do know that its bad and with larger nozzles you WILL blow stuff up with that... even with a proper larger turbo your EGT's are going to be in the 2,000's range. enjoy seething about us boomers and our knowledge and helpfulness.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
@Mongler98 you sure you didn't mean to post this under that private for sale thread? :ROFLMAO:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
@Mongler98 you sure you didn't mean to post this under that private for sale thread? :ROFLMAO:
100%
if he wants a thread about what's the best way to upgrade his TDI, then a mention to his attempt to cheap out and call us all boomers on this thread i see as necessary.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I never said to get rid of it. Bro I ran 13 second 1/4 mile runs on a decked out 98 jetta ahu with about 5 grand under the hood.
Most fun and eye catcher with trainhorns.
Once you do 140mph on a big 140hp motorcycle or do autocross in really any car. You will forget backroad bs in cars

Your new and fairly inexperienced so we will definitely cut you some slack.
140 hp? Dooooood! I had a first edition CBR900RR. 126 hp at the rear wheel, and that pup did 10.32 at 138mph...it was silly fast. Stupid fast. Can't believe I am living to write this-fast...LOL It was not the machine I got the 112mph-over ticket on though...heh-heh-heh.

In the mean time, my modification goals are about what this gent's are...power increase as long as it does no harm to FE when I behave. I am cursed with a very good condition VNT15 on my ALH, so justifying a bigger one shall be difficult. I suspect it will get DLC520's and I doubt I will buy a tune. Like my Son pointed out whilst discussing his ALH: Dad, if we turn it up, it will break sooner.

Also...the Cummins folk are right in this recommendation: if you go more fuel, first mod should be a pyro. This being the only ones I worry about in the form of the VE-pumped, 1st Gen, 12V's. Once that fuel screw collar is gone and a 366 spring is installed, you can fuel the heck outta them...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
In the mean time, my modification goals are about what this gent's are...power increase as long as it does no harm to FE when I behave. I am cursed with a very good condition VNT15 on my ALH, so justifying a bigger one shall be difficult. I suspect it will get DLC520's and I doubt I will buy a tune. Like my Son pointed out whilst discussing his ALH: Dad, if we turn it up, it will break sooner.
I'm in the same boat, except I got the tune first, which with the sticky vanes, and some other problem not yet figured out, I was overboosting which made me aware that the clutch needs replacing, and then my head gasket started to leak (foam in the coolant ball). Just did the head gasket. Will put a new clutch in during Christmas break and MAYBE new DLC520 nozzles - still figuring out who I should go with to rebuild the injectors.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
140 hp? Dooooood! I had a first edition CBR900RR. 126 hp at the rear wheel, and that pup did 10.32 at 138mph...it was silly fast. Stupid fast. Can't believe I am living to write this-fast...LOL It was not the machine I got the 112mph-over ticket on though...heh-heh-heh.

Also...the Cummins folk are right in this recommendation: if you go more fuel, first mod should be a pyro. This being the only ones I worry about in the form of the VE-pumped, 1st Gen, 12V's. Once that fuel screw collar is gone and a 366 spring is installed, you can fuel the heck outta them...LOL
cheers,
Douglas
I've been super happy with Dlc 764's and no tune for almost 200k miles. Great power, mileage has been the same, etc. Been putting off the tune for years, becuase I know once I get a tune, I'll need a clutch within a week. The clutch already slips if I accelerate JUST right, but 99% of the time it doesn't.