Best mk4 TDI injectors?

Outlaw534

TDI
2003 Mk4 ALH TDI Jetta wagon
I’ve read lots of opinions. I’m wanting to role some coal in higher revs but maybe not all the time. Or maybe all the time as long as it doesn’t hurt my MPG. Would love to hear what y’all have to say.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Quite simple, don't roll coal. It WILL hurt your mpgs.

Get yourself some 0.205s and enjoy a slow drive.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
"Best" and roll coal are total oxymorons. Any streaming, dripping set of injectors are exactly the ticket to roll coal. The best injectors will not allow you to roal coal at all (unless a boost hose popped off).

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Rolling coal is brutally expensive to do. Some heavy smoke is not too bad on the wallet but if you want high revs, plan on 3 to 4 grand of internal work plus full head work and massive ip.
What you want will cost 2x more than the car is worth.
Dont spend that $ to do what yoh want and you can enjoy the last 50k mileage till its death via bent rod or head failure

Outlaw534

TDI
By high revs I mean 3500 my redline is 4500 and the main reason I want injectors is speed but I wouldn’t mind some coal. But I would prefer speed and power over coal. So are the .205s good for speed?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
.230s + 11mm and a good tune. Get the best of both worlds. Unless you plan on having a 10mm pump I wouldn't bother with smaller. Done right, no harm to mpg (should be better than stock when driven normally) and room for more than enough power should you upgrade turbo, clutch etc.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
If your putting out some smoke with mad power and still getting high mpg then it's all good.
Go toss an evry mod on it and trash your turbo and engine.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Using enough fuel to make black smoke is *NOT going to be a condition capable of delivering big fuel economy numbers.

From a purely philosophical POV, why in the heck do you wish to broadcast just exactly what yer right foot is doing?

From a mods perspective, build for enough air so as to avoid the issue in the first place. It is perhaps not as easy as it sounds...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

Outlaw534

TDI
okay, thanks guys. im more interested in injectors that improve power and performance. I did see somewhere somebody was complaining about injectors causing smoke and I was just saying I wouldn't mind smoke I think its kind of cool. but im far more interested in seeing an improve in performance.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
okay, thanks guys. im more interested in injectors that improve power and performance. I did see somewhere somebody was complaining about injectors causing smoke and I was just saying I wouldn't mind smoke I think its kind of cool. but im far more interested in seeing an improve in performance.
If you dont mond smoke and you want that look. Go to facebook group ( tdi scumbags) yes that's what they are called and so will you be.
In order to gaine that performance you need at least a grand for a clutch. Tune and nozzles. Otherwise your wasting money. Kerma is great and they do a hot swap program. I'm going to tell you now to NOT DO YOUR DOWN NOZZLES SWAP. You dont know enough to not destroy them or your engine. Yes It can be done but it's a sterile clean work area mandatory for starters.

I seriously urge you to take your car bone stock as it is and go do autocross so you can understand that you, not the car, is the limit to your performance issue.
Want a faster car. Buy one! If you cant $$$ that, then you cant $$ your tdi and be happy with it. That rabbit hole is deep and costly and the reliability is shot to hell comparatively
You clearly do not need a more powerful tdi. You need a fun cheap car. And making your tdi one is going to cost more than just buying a miatta or boxster.

Outlaw534

TDI
Lol, your telling me to get rid of my jetta if I want it to go fast? nah im good thanks for the advice I guess. but these cars can go fast lol there's no way you don't know that. so im not sure what your agenda is. Please explain why im the problem my car needs a little bit more power?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
As long as you say, " saying I wouldn't mind smoke I think its kind of cool", we don't. There are way too many jerks rolling coal, especially the jacked up trucks that blow a cloud when leaving a stoplight. We TDI owners do not want to get grouped into the same class that the butt heads with trucks.
The faster you want to go the more it costs: $250.00 for nozzles, $275 to have the nozzles installed, $300.00 or more for a tune to optimize the hardware that was purchased. Then add $600.00 or so for a proper clutch installed before the power upgrades to handle the new power.
Yes, you can have more power, and higher fuel economy if you keep your foot out of it.
So for $1400.00, you can have more power, and potentially better FE.
Oh, and by the way, before you start adding power, you need to make sure all the other systems are up to snuff.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This.

I'm not trying to pick on you for the rolling coal bit. But if you want more power... It's gonna cost a bit. It's more of a financial commitment than a truck would be.
For starters... Get yourself a vnt17 at least, get some bigger nozzles, at least 0.216s, and a tune. There's several tuners to choose from. Doing so will easily bump the 90hp to closer to 170.
Even with these mods, you aren't going to get the traditional smoke screen of shame behind you. Maybe a little puff, or a slight haze, but that's it.
But like Nevada said, you have to make sure the rest of the car is up to par as well. Brakes? Suspension? What's the point of going fast if you can't safely control it and slow down?

Interested to see what you plan to do.

Outlaw534

TDI
I have coilovers and I’m about to install ceramic brake pads with a vented disk. I don’t mind a little hate for the rolling coal part. I get that. I’m just wanting a little puff to show it’s diesel lol. I was hoping to get a few cheap mods while saving for a stage 2 tune from kerma. And a set of 200 dollar injectors. And eventually a bigger turbo. I just got my TDI so only thing done to it is a cold air intake.

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
you have a cold air intake from factory on this car. adding a cold air intake with a k&n will only cause troubles for you. the stock air box is more than capable even when pushing more power. ive learned you cant treat these cars when modding like any other civic or even volkswagen, i feel like there is a "proper" way to do things when you're looking for more power. you should listen to those above who have a lot of experience when pushing power out of these engines. in my experience there is not much you can really do to up the power reliably without dropping some cash.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I mentioned this before but no takers ..... BUT you seem like the man to get it done ....

Roll "coal" in misc colors and no fuel dillution / extra sooting up of oil/ turbos.

No worse off fuel economy AND it's "healthy" !

check out :

THAT would be cool !

Andrew

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lol, your telling me to get rid of my jetta if I want it to go fast? nah im good thanks for the advice I guess. but these cars can go fast lol there's no way you don't know that. so im not sure what your agenda is. Please explain why im the problem my car needs a little bit more power?
I never said to get rid of it. Bro I ran 13 second 1/4 mile runs on a decked out 98 jetta ahu with about 5 grand under the hood.
Most fun and eye catcher with trainhorns.
Once you do 140mph on a big 140hp motorcycle or do autocross in really any car. You will forget backroad bs in cars

Your new and fairly inexperienced so we will definitely cut you some slack.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You will learn..... you will learn.... one way or another...

Also ceramic pads are junk.
Semi metallic doubles sintered pads and forget the fancy crossdrilling or slotted. Worthless on your car.
Hawks hps pads or hd pads by bindex
Forget all your junk cheap mods. Get some crazy good tires and save up for 3 grand for a turbo clutch nozzles ip mods and go stage 4 on the tune.
I ran stage 6 .... check my profile for mods list.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I have coilovers and I’m about to install ceramic brake pads with a vented disk. I don’t mind a little hate for the rolling coal part. I get that. I’m just wanting a little puff to show it’s diesel lol. I was hoping to get a few cheap mods while saving for a stage 2 tune from kerma. And a set of 200 dollar injectors. And eventually a bigger turbo. I just got my TDI so only thing done to it is a cold air intake.
As a helpful hint for you, you may want to remove the "cold air intake" especially on the mk4, it causes a lot of problems with the maf sensor, due to the oil in the filter and the dust it allows in. Look in the TDI power enhancements section for the thread on the cold air intakes.
Personally I've had several cars that had one of them on when I got it, and eventually it put the car into limp mode and killed the maf sensor. Putting in a stock air box and new maf sensor increased the power exponentially.

Outlaw534

TDI
Okay guys, thanks for all the input. I’m excited to start this build thanks for all the advice. I do not have a stock intake to put on it. If I buy a new Maf sensor with the cold air intake would that work? And would it be ok to put injectors on before a tune? Last question lol I know I’m a noob but When I’m looking for a turbo I want something that will spool up at a reasonable rate. How would I know what turbo would spool up early in the revs but stay spoiled up to higher revs?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You can drop injectors in before a tune, you may just have to go in and adjust your IQ (Injection quantity) to reduce smoking. Remember, less smoke, more power, better fuel economy.

How to adjust IQ

Another thing you should invest in, if you're really serious about getting into these cars is VCDS. It's essentially a program and USB to obd2 cable that you can use for diagnostic and adjustments. An absolute must. Can't adjust timing or the IQ without it.

As for a turbo suggestion, either go with the tried and true vnt17, or get yourself one of those welded on turbo onto the alh exhaust manifolds. All are pretty good, just make sure to get them from a reputable vendor.

I lean a word of caution from getting the 17/22 turbo, as they're prone to boost creep, which can set you into limp mode.

As for just replacing the maf... It would probably be cheaper to get a factory air box back in there versus replacing the maf. Even if you replace the maf, you'll still run into where oils/dirt will contaminate the maf and foul it up again.

Feel free to ask more questions, we'll steer you in the right direction.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Okay guys, thanks for all the input. I’m excited to start this build thanks for all the advice. I do not have a stock intake to put on it. If I buy a new Maf sensor with the cold air intake would that work? And would it be ok to put injectors on before a tune? Last question lol I know I’m a noob but When I’m looking for a turbo I want something that will spool up at a reasonable rate. How would I know what turbo would spool up early in the revs but stay spoiled up to higher revs?
I've got a stock air box you can have for the shipping. If you want power, you'll need that. A new maf will just be ruined by the cold air intake and you'll be at square one again. The air box I have has a maf with it, which I believe is good. Came from a parts car I had.

Mozambiquer

TDI

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
Like this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/VCDS-VAG-C...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0 and as soon as you guys said I needed oem intake I texted a friend of mine who need my oem intake. And he said he isn’t using it and would give it back. Now, as experts would you recommend a turbo or injectors first?
if i were you id go injectors first because you can run them without getting a tune, although i dont believe you would get the absolute most out of them without one. but still a lot more punch over stock injectors. make sure your injectors are good to pair with an upgraded turbo so you can save yourself the pain of having to install different ones, a turbo upgrade could require more fuel than a modest injector upgrade.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Injectors, turbo, and tune are easily the biggest expenses.

I'd suggest keeping an eye on the private for sale for a vcds cable. I see HEXII cables go for sale occasionally.

Outlaw534

TDI
So I wasn’t gonna tune this TDI it’s my first car and it has 345k miles. I don’t know if it could handle it. So I was gonna do some “hardware” upgrades. Stuff I could move over to another TDI. Unless you guys think it can handle a tune. But Right now I’m looking at a VNT17 turbo and some .205 injectors. Probably injectors first. Im not worried about putting money into it I’m working and saving for this build all of my money is going into this car or saving for one with less Miles.