Best engine oil alh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico payant

TDI
Jetta tdi alh 2000
Hi everyone I wanted to know what is the best oil for tdi alh the one that the engine will drink as little as possible I always use rotella T6 5w40 but I need to know if there is something better for high mileage engine thank you

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Really! With all the oil threads here you couldn't be bothered to read a little? A search should keep you reading for months if you like. Condition of the engine is way more important for this than changing your oil. You more than likely are using one of the better ones already.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
OH NO, not another best oil thread, what shall we do............
the best oil is the one you put in it.
/thread
please, lets delete this thread! OP can just go be bothered to read for 10 minutes!

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Hi everyone I wanted to know what is the best oil for tdi alh the one that the engine will drink as little as possible I always use rotella T6 5w40 but I need to know if there is something better for high mileage engine thank you
Seriously, you are using T6 5w-40. Just stay with what works. It’s what i have Been using for years.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I'd have to double check but I think we should be running 5W- 30 oils .... I use the Synthetic Rotella in the Blue jug .... I believe that is 5W-30

Andrew

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I'd have to double check but I think we should be running 5W- 30 oils .... I use the Synthetic Rotella in the Blue jug .... I believe that is 5W-30

Andrew
dont listen to this guy ^^^, you need a 40 wt oil in an ALH. Rotella is cheap and known to evaporate. You can try a 10w40 or 15w40 as they are less volatile than a 5w40. I ran 10w30 and 15w40 blended in mine, used 1 qt every 10k miles.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
dont listen to this guy ^^^, you need a 40 wt oil in an ALH. Rotella is cheap and known to evaporate. You can try a 10w40 or 15w40 as they are less volatile than a 5w40. I ran 10w30 and 15w40 blended in mine, used 1 qt every 10k miles.
Evaporate?
Other weights less volatile?
How the heck does vescosity and brand have anything to do with these nonexistant claims you made here.

Andyinchville1 said he believes that it might be. Well you are correct it's wrong, that 30 is not right for really any older diesel at all and 5w-40 would be correct. And mobile one truck is by far the cheapest when it's on sale. $12 for 4 quarts and a free mobile one oil filter? Yea I'll just hord up on that! And I did.
Rotella is tried and true yes. But these fictional claims of mystical properties that you just haphazardly boast is just that.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Evaporate?
Other weights less volatile?
How the heck does vescosity and brand have anything to do with these nonexistant claims you made here.

Andyinchville1 said he believes that it might be. Well you are correct it's wrong, that 30 is not right for really any older diesel at all and 5w-40 would be correct. And mobile one truck is by far the cheapest when it's on sale. $12 for 4 quarts and a free mobile one oil filter? Yea I'll just hord up on that! And I did.
Rotella is tried and true yes. But these fictional claims of mystical properties that you just haphazardly boast is just that.
Hey smart guy, and I am bieng sarcastic. The number before the ”w” is the winter rating. A 10w30 has a winter rating of 10 and a 15w40 has a winter rating of 15. The winter rating is different from the viscosity. A 0w40, 5w40, 10w40 and 15w40 all are 40 wt oils but have different climate operating temperatures.

Its well known to some knowledgeable people, such as myself, that synthetic oils with a higher winter rating use heavier base oils and are less volatile (so they evaporate less). A 0w or 5w will be made with lighter base oils as part of the blend and have higher volatility.

Amsoil makes a couple synthetic 10w30 and 15w40 diesel oils that have low volatility of 3-4% vs 13% for Rotella T6. There will be less evaporation loss if the OP tries a synthetic oil with a higher winter rating if his climate allows it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You are talking about lab level stuff that even amsoil talks about IN THE LABS with next to no real comparison to an engine that goes 14K miles on 5w-40 synthetic before the viscosity for winter levels are not within graph. No one here or on this earth wants to hear about evaporating or anything your talking about with engine oils because it does not apply to them and is all up in the air BS for non lab environments.

At normal oil sump operating temperatures, evaporation is negligible and only measurable under laboratory conditions. At temps over about 100 C. (212 F.) evaporation may become noticeable over a period of many hours. Lower viscosity oils evaporate faster than higher viscosity oils. Most evaporation, in operation, occurs on the cylinder walls where the oil film is spread over a relatively large area and subject to combustion temps (much higher than oil sump temps) and this can amount to as much as 17% of engine oil consumption. Synthetic oils evaporate less than conventional oils at a the same temperature. In oil specifications, evaporation is listed as “Noack volatility.”

There is a phenomenon that I didn’t see mentioned among the other answers: Oil can become diluted somewhat with fuel if an engine is seldom fully warmed up as a result of many short trips, over a period of time, at lower ambient temps. Then, when run for a longer time at full operating temp, heat will evaporate the fuel from the oil and the oil level will be measurably lower than it was at the start of the trip.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
You are talking about lab level stuff that even amsoil talks about IN THE LABS with next to no real comparison to an engine that goes 14K miles on 5w-40 synthetic before the viscosity for winter levels are not within graph. No one here or on this earth wants to hear about evaporating or anything your talking about with engine oils because it does not apply to them and is all up in the air BS for non lab environments.

At normal oil sump operating temperatures, evaporation is negligible and only measurable under laboratory conditions. At temps over about 100 C. (212 F.) evaporation may become noticeable over a period of many hours. Lower viscosity oils evaporate faster than higher viscosity oils. Most evaporation, in operation, occurs on the cylinder walls where the oil film is spread over a relatively large area and subject to combustion temps (much higher than oil sump temps) and this can amount to as much as 17% of engine oil consumption. Synthetic oils evaporate less than conventional oils at a the same temperature. In oil specifications, evaporation is listed as “Noack volatility.”

There is a phenomenon that I didn’t see mentioned among the other answers: Oil can become diluted somewhat with fuel if an engine is seldom fully warmed up as a result of many short trips, over a period of time, at lower ambient temps. Then, when run for a longer time at full operating temp, heat will evaporate the fuel from the oil and the oil level will be measurably lower than it was at the start of the trip.
Nice cut and paste from another website. You had to look it up because I was correct.

Volatility is measurable, you can see it happen over time and it get's more significant with heavy use like towing. Even more so in an ALH as they have an oil-only cooled turbocharger. Oil vapor from evaporation is what collects in the PCV system, intake manifold and intercooler.

T6 has a reputation for evaporation and loss, and when tested by PQIA it was 13% which is very high, even for a 5w40. It barely passed the specification for evaporation.

The OP wanted to know if there was a better alternative to T6 as it was drinking a lot of oil, to which there is. To the OP, I would try the Delvac Extreme synthetic in 10w30 or 15w40 if you live in a climate that a 15w or 10w will work for you. https://www.mobil.com/en-us/commercial-vehicle-lube/pds/gl-xx-mobil-delvac-extreme

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No. Still wrong. It does not evaporate, you can't notice that. Ccv is not evaporating. Its arisolizing and burning. Mostly due to blow by from piston rings. You just want to argue a bunch, I like that. And it's the only reason I'm here in this oil thread.
Now, let's finish this by locking and or deleting this stupid pointless thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.