best coil-over strut setup

bluecollarpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora, 2001, Silver
I've had a failure in my Bilstein PSS strut kit and I'm in the market for a new coil-over strut setup. I refuse to buy Bilstein as they will not cover the failure under warranty.

Does anyone have a non-Bilstein recommendation on coil-over kits?

Thanks,
John

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
You can also check out H&R, they have excellent reviews and amazing lifetime warranty.

Low Trq

TDI
none
I second KW

I have no VW specific experience with them, but a friend had V3's and another got club sports. I've ridden and helped install them and they are a very well built solid suspension. i would not hesitate to buy a set.

Old fe

TDI
2002 Wagon ALH 0M1 Green on Black for work, 2001 AFP 5 Speed VR6 GLX Black on Black For Fun
Can you elaborate on the failure? May save others some grief.

Let us know what you go with and results?

Thanks neighbor

greekdubber

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 C55 AMG 2003 V6 24V BDF
I would not recommend H&R there service is horrible and not very knowledged or there product,also wasnt impressed with there ride....now I've owned 4 KW kits 3 on VW's 1 on my C55 AMG and by far the best riding kit,but there hit or miss on costomer service.If you a KW kit with excellent support and customer service then buy a Eibach coilover which is a re-labeled KW kit

MRFire

TDI
2000 Golf 4door
I've heard not so good things on VWVortex about Koni customer service. I was thinking of going with ST coil overs but they have a 5yr warranty. I rather something with a lifetime warranty.

I didn't know Eibach were relabeled KW. Good to know...

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
My experience with H&R has been excellent, including the customer service. They even sent me some free part for my coil overs, dust boots and bump stops as these coil overs were used when I bought them. I'm happy.

greekdubber

Veteran Member
TDI
if you get a KW,ST or Eibach kit get one from a Golf,because the jetta kit is universal for the sedan/wagon so they use heavier taller rear springs and the Golf uses more of the correct spring for a sedan.

greekdubber

Veteran Member
TDI
I can say this....every AMG Black-Series and P30 performance package cars come factory with KW coilovers hence why I couldnt buy V3's for my AMG and the cheapest Black-Series starts at around $150,000 and thats a C-Class I have photos of them on a CLK63 Black-Series

kwong7

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI / White
I expected more from H&R. I have the Dunebuggy coilovers on my MKIV and have about 150K miles on them. They are holding up fine, but I feel like they could have matched the spring/dampers to the car a little better. The ride is very firm...sometimes harsh on a bouncy or rough road. However, the ride is superb on a smooth surface. I've never tried Konis on a VW, but I've good experiences with them on my old Nissan and Honda.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
I can't really provide any input since this topic is for VW's, but I had Bilstein PSS9s in my E46 M3 along with Turner Motorsport camber plates, and after the car was corner weighted, rode extremely well. I never had a problem with Bilstein tech support either. The dampening adjustments didn't do much... more like they were either on or off, but I could usually set them somewhere close to middle, and the only thing needing adjustment was camber or ride height depending on whether I was tracking the M3 or just putting around on the streets.

Given the choice, I'd go Bilsteins again based on my experience with the M3 if and when I decide to modify my Golf.

bluecollarpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora, 2001, Silver
Old Fe,
The struts are just over 2 years old and they are leaking fluid already.

Also, there was a noise issue, it was a real PITA to figure out. Turns out the spring cap that rested on the strut bearing was plastic and broken. It allowed the spring cap to bounce a little on the strut bearing making noise. VW has since made a metal replacement which allows for no appreciable flex, resolving the issue.