Bentley manual - can not find fuel quality ?

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH A.T. Wagon
The title says it , seems not to be in there , at least not where it should - diesel fuel injection , near injection timing ?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Do you own VCDS? There is an injection balance feature. And then injection timing is a plug in that runs in basic mode.

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH A.T. Wagon
Yes I do , it is the USBII kll , as close as I remember , checked and it was just over 3 bouncing around 3.2 , I adjusted up to about 4.1 .
This was because it had some smoking after start & ruff idle after sitting over night , step on throttle a couple times and idle smooths out .
Starts good & no smoke the rest of the day .

Injection balance , I have not looked at that yet - more info ?

Had the car about 5 months , got a bunch new in box parts and old injectors , the owner did not seem to be into modding , he did say the only work he did himself was changing hoses .

But back to the question , the Bentley manual , I was under the impression these were complete , have had many other VW's & Bentley manuals - this is the 1st time I found something missing ?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The title says it , seems not to be in there , at least not where it should - diesel fuel injection , near injection timing ?
Are you talking about cetane value?
I thing the number was 35 or 40. (been a while)

Injection timing is checked in VCDS using the scope timing function.
There is a sample graph in the Bentley manual showing where it should be.

It's been a while since I used it.

Your topic title says "fuel quality" your post asks about " fuel injection " and "near injection timing"

If I'm misunderstanding you please give a bit more detail what your looking for.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I don't recall seeing it in the manual either.
As far as I know you have to do it with VCDS by changing settings in the correct blocks.
I'm not sure if the ' USBII kll ' device will do it.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL