Bench Bleeding New Calipers

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
Is there a how-to on this? I may be replacing the rear calipers sometime soon and don't want too much of a fiasco doing so. I have vcds available.

454k30

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Curious Chris is correct, this is the best and easiest way to do the bleeding. The bleeder screws are well positioned for release of air so you won't get much benefit, if any, from bench bleeding first.

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
If you don't have a power bleeder all you have to do is instal the new caliper, fill the resivor, leave the cap off and open the bleed screw and let it sit for awhile. The system will gravity bleed and you will see fluid coming out the bleeder. Then you close the bleeder and top off the resivor again. You will still have to bleed the brakes but it should be much easier and quicker.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Agree with the above, just open the bleeder, make sure the reservoir is topped up, and wait until the bubbles stop. Also, tap the caliper with a small hammer once in a while to dislodge any air bubbles stuck in the caliper.

Last edited:

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
Great feedback everyone. I did invest in a Motive so this should simplify the replacement of the calipers.

I'll also verify there is decent fluid flow as I've read in the forums there could be debris and/or collapsed brake line issues that could cause me grief.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I do some sort of brake hydraulic work almost every day. Usually good enough to gravity bleed, close the bleeder, stab the brakes a few times, smack the calipers around a bit, open the bleeders again, and then you'll usually have a solid pedal.

If not, piece of windshield washer hose on the bleeder screw's nipple into a soda bottle, fill the reservoir and pump through a half qt of fluid per caliper, just pumping the pedal. Don't bottom the pedal out, sometimes masters and boosters break when you do that. (stupid GM)

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Great feedback everyone. I did invest in a Motive so this should simplify the replacement of the calipers.

I'll also verify there is decent fluid flow as I've read in the forums there could be debris and/or collapsed brake line issues that could cause me grief.
Yes on my wife's A3 Jetta I was bleeding the back brakes and only a dribble came out of the bleeder and that is with the PowerMotive at 10 psi. I called my wife out the the garage and asked her to push the brakes to the floor: pop a big clump of something came out and then good flow. Her car is a Texas car and there is dirt residue everywhere and I suspect some got into her brakes.