Beginner Questions - Troubleshooting CEL with VAG-COM

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
Can you answer these "beginner" questions. I did read previous posts, FAQ and Ross-Tech web page.

CEL came on SOLID (not blinking) after driving about ten minutes. Next morning, CEL was not on when started car,but came back on in 15 min or so.

Now..QUESTIONS from someone who has never used VAGCOM, but has UNregistered version.

1. To find the DTC, I select each Control Module, one at a time, to see "under which" control module the DTC might be? Correct? And use the application chart on RossTech web site to see which control modules apply?

2. If I see more than one type of DTC, how do I know which DTC caused the CEL to come on, and which DTC's might be old ones from other faults. NOTE: CEL has never come on before.

3. Should I clear the DTCs - and then see which one re-appears if the CEL comes on again? If I clear the DTC - will the dealer still work on the car if I tell them what the DTC(s) were? ( i made an appointment for one week away...just in case. Will Unregistered version clear the DTCs? My understanding is only the Registered version clears the CEL...but for now it isn't on. Is clearing the DTCs automatically clear the CEL, or is clearing the CEL (turning lite off) a different vagcom procedure?

4. If I don't clear any TDCs, and the CEL comes on again, will looking at the DTC's show an additional DTC? That is, if I would check tonight and see fault code 12345 in the system now. And I drive tommorow and the CEL comes on, will I see two fault codes 12345? That would help determine which DTC caused the fault.(note: i won't be hooking up vagcom tonight...too tired, too late, too cold!)

5. It is okay to drive when the CEL is on solid? Not blinking, and car seems okay....Right???

Thanks..for getting me started...and yes, I do plan to start the registration process as soon as I get a chance to hook up PC to car.

[ February 14, 2003, 08:23: Message edited by: DEZLBOY ]

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
For CEL's go to the "O1 aka Engine", then when you are successful communicating with the ECM click on "Fault Codes - 02" on the lower left side of the screen. It will then pull of the the fault codes and give you the option to print them or clear them.

Of course all this information is available at www.ross-tech.com

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally posted by Curious Chris:
For CEL's go to the "O1 aka Engine...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks. I thought I might have to go to ALL the control modules. So...all the DTCs that make the CEL come on are stored under the "01 aka Engine" module? And no need to run thru all the Control Modules.

BTW...CEL came back on about 15 min into drive into work.

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally posted by tomo366:
Scott,
I can meet you sometime this weekend
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tomo..that would be great. Only concern is the snow expected....will email you.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Let me see how many I can answer for you.

1. You can go through each module if you wish. But some are more important than others (Engine vs Radio). I usually stick with the biggies: engine, transmission (for an auto), instruments.

2. Any DTC is important. Old ones stick around only for a certain amount of time (50 starts?) and are removed if they don't reappear. But I don't think you can tell older ones from newer ones. [Else they are given in the order of appeaarance, newest to oldest. Uwe may be sorting them in the display, I'm not sure.]

3."Should I clear the DTCs - and then see which one re-appears if the CEL comes on again? " That's what I do. If it doesn't come back, then there is nothing to fix. I believe the unregistered version will clear codes, but not much else. Once cleared, the light should go out unless the offending condition is still present.

4.Yes.

5. If the engine is running normally then keep driving it.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Scott,

I wouldn't scan your airbag module. Some folks have reported it frying the control module. I believe Uwe has a warning dialog box that pops up.

You don't have a single mod.

I'm willing to bet it's an intermittent glow plug/circuit malfunction.

Do you have a spare set of glow plugs?

Perhaps a wiring harness. I've got a "test" harness I made up if you need it.

Lito

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally posted by weedeater:
Let me see how many I can answer for you.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">weedeater..thanks for your replies. I am going out to garage with VagCom. will report back...

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally posted by tongsli:
I believe Uwe has a warning dialog box that pops up.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes Uwe does have a pop up warning. In fact, months ago I read his website and he mentioned "don't scan airbag." I suggested a popup warning, and he emailed me back saying, "good idea, i will do that." (who knows, maybe he was going to do it anyhow..but...)

No, I don't hav a spare set of glow plugs. Maybe, regardless of the code (will scan later this afternoon), would be a good idea to have a set. I guess they aren't "time sensitive" as are belts....

Perhaps a wiring harness. I've got a "test" harness I made up if you need it.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lito: Thanks....you are too kewl!

BTW....Twice, CEL came on after driving for ten minutes - only to be off next day on startup. , yesterday, light came on immediately on start up, but went out one minute later and stayed out for drive home. I know...what you are thinking....scan the car and give us some real info!

BTW...the Metro/DC area is this weekend from Saturday (now) to Monday anywhere from 7 inches to 16 inches of snow...and then "more accumulation" per the National Weather Service. Sure hope we don't get an "evacutation notice."

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
1 DTC Found:

19561 - Valve for Intake Manifold Flap (N239): Open or Short to Ground
35-10 - - - Intermittent

Will search TDICOM before asking all sorts of questions about directly related to this DTC.

General Vagcom Question...the CEL came on three times. Twice while driving after 10 min or so. Once right after starting and it went off in the next minute.

Question about Vagcom...I thought I would have seen the above DTC listed three times, and not just the one time...???

Thx.
(and, in 24hrs my VAGCOM willl be offical!)

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Scott,

I've noticed with the intermittent DTC's like the glow plugs, that since it's intermittent it'll come on after the car is started. But, you only get one reporting of the DTC and not everytime you start and get the code.

Make sense?

Did you get a chance to find the valve BEFORE the snow? There's a good pic in the fuel injection section 23-2, figure 1. Item #2 Intake manifold change-over valve(N239)

Make sure that the connector is on fully. Take it off, clean the contacts plug it back on.

Lito

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
I've noticed with the intermittent DTC's like the glow plugs, ...it'll come on after the car is started. But, you only get one reporting of the DTC and not everytime you start and get the code.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That seems to be the case with this DTC 19561. The CEL came on three separate times (and went off on it's own each time), but Vag-Com only listed the DTC once. (and that was the only DTC I had). So, I will clear the DTC - see no reason to have it listed; especially since a new episode wouldn't otherwise be indicated on the Vagcom (unless the CEL came on...as it usually does.)

Make sense?

Did you get a chance to find the valve BEFORE the snow? There's a good pic in the fuel injection section 23-2, figure 1. Item #2 Intake manifold change-over valve(N239)

Only troubleshooting I have done is to have a neighbor verify that (at least the time he was looking) the manifold flap worked. This flap in the Intake Manifold (near the EGR value) is normally open (closed?) when driving. When the engine is cut off, the flap opens (closes?) for three seconds, then goes back to it's normal position.

Make sure that the connector is on fully. Take it off, clean the contacts plug it back on.

I will removed engine cover today (if it's not too cold out!) to take a look at the connector (if its easy to get too).

How does one clean the contacts

Thanks...

[ February 17, 2003, 11:55: Message edited by: DEZLBOY ]

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
First, make sure the wires are in tact, connected properly.

Then, try spraying it with Electronic Contact Cleaner.

L

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
First, make sure the wires are in tact, connected properly.Then, try spraying it with Electronic Contact Cleaner.
L
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well...considering it was freezing outside...the best I could do was reseat it. Admit..didn't look at wires in top connector. Can't see the bottom connection at all (to deep in plastic housing, hidden by manifold). Will have to buy some Contact Cleaner. I guess can only spray what I can see.

Since this thread helped me use the VAGCOM, I am now troubleshooting the actual DTC(s) I found. So , I have started a new thread specific to the DTCs....
More Specific Thread Related to Troubleshooting this Specific DTC is Here

[ February 18, 2003, 06:21: Message edited by: DEZLBOY ]