Before going over 50k miles, check your radiator fans.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Yes, both should run when the AC is on.

The car left fan is easy to replace, and the car right one looks to be the same task.

The exact fan in the link to ebay below was the left fan, but I thought this might help.

NukeSkywalker wrote:
Dan, the fan I found on eBay with the lifetime warranty is at this link, and it’s item #270277148291 if the link fails to work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Condenser-Radiator-Fan-Asy-for-Golf-GTI-Jetta-99-05_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem270277148291QQitemZ270277148291
Here are the links to the fan controller from the guy in the U.K.

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']http://www.nime.co.uk/mk4fans.html[/FONT]

https://www.nime.co.uk/nimeshop/showitem.f?itm=2

http://www.nime.co.uk/fancontrollerinstall.html

Dan

tomtom1989

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf MkV
Just as i thought, i jacked up the car, took the shroud off with both fans (weighed a ton) unplugged the small fan and measured the resistance of the windings.

Open circuit = Fan DEAD VW want £117+ VAT (17.5%) for another. So i thought sod it, it can stay broken for now

Last edited:

Da~da~da

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6
Da~da~da said:
****sigh**** of course now I read this, although it would not have done me any good. Hit 50002 this morning on the way to work and a/c is inop this afternoon :( Although they might not even be related, guess we will see.
Update:::: VW Lithia in Reno finally stepped up to the plate and did the RIGHT thing. Parts Mgr stepped up and went to bat for me since these things were grenading left and right. He has roughly 15sets in stock right now just because of the KNOWN problems with them. He got the stealership to "goodwill" the fans (both are getting replaced) and I will pay for the labor at employee cost. Does anyone here know what the shop time is for R&R'ing these two fans?

Last edited:

Jason D

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Graphite Blue 5 speed
My estimating software shows .7 hours to remove the shroud and both fans. Dealer book time could vary but shouldn't be much.

Da~da~da

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6
Jason D said:
My estimating software shows .7 hours to remove the shroud and both fans. Dealer book time could vary but shouldn't be much.
Thank you Jason :cool: gives me a good idea of what to look for when they charge me the labor.

Da~da~da

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6
Jason D said:
AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:mad:

There seems to be quite a difference from one VW stealership to the next

Findlay VW in Las Vegas charges $750 6.5hrs for labor only to R&R the fans
Lithia VW in Reno charges $300 2.7 hrs for labor only to R&R the fans
Roseville VW in Sacramento charges $324 2.7hrs for labor only to R&R the fans

Update, of course you all did not think it was going to be that easy now did you?, especially given my experiences with this stealership. Long story short.

They ended up NOT having the fan sets in stock for the TDI, only the gassers.

Service Mgr totally went back on his word that he gave in front of myself, a salesman, and the parts dept mgr that he would only charge me the labor at employee cost, and is now charging me full labor.

They are charging me $295 for the labor stating that it is a 2.7hr job :mad: to R&R both fans......

****sigh**** oh well, I hope I at least get a kiss before it is inserted :eek:

Last edited:

Jason D

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Graphite Blue 5 speed
Man, the software I have is usually pretty accurate. 6.5 hrs to R&R fans! You can remove the entire engine in that time.

Sorry to hear about that screw job they are giving you. I bet the tech gets it finished in less than an hour.

Da~da~da

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6
Jason D said:
Man, the software I have is usually pretty accurate. 6.5 hrs to R&R fans! You can remove the entire engine in that time.

Sorry to hear about that screw job they are giving you. I bet the tech gets it finished in less than an hour.
Yeah, I don't know what kind of crack they are smoking down in Vegas to give a 6.5hr estimate for labor only when the other stealerships are getting 2.7hrs?

Still we are talking about a 2hr difference between your software and theirs?

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 85 Golf n/a Diesel
My car was in and out in about an hour*.

* It was a slow day at the dealership and I knew the tech thru our local VW forum.

I'm not very mechanically inclined, but with a bentley and the right tools, this is something I'd try to tackle on my own.

Da~da~da

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6
robbinsresort said:
My car was in and out in about an hour*.

* It was a slow day at the dealership and I knew the tech thru our local VW forum.

I'm not very mechanically inclined, but with a bentley and the right tools, this is something I'd try to tackle on my own.
Exactly.... Normally I would do this myself, unfortunately the only way to get them to cover the cost of the fans (which is substantially more than the 300 I am paying in labor) I am required to have them do the R&R :( Thank you for the great input though, reinforces what others have been saying.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I suspect you can buy the fans for about $200. I know you can buy the drivers side fan, lifetime warranty, for about $85.

See my previous post. It took about 30 minutes to change out the driver's side fan.

Dan

ErikR

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI pk2 5-spd Black/Black
I just got my replacement passenger-side fan in this week so I have to get that thing installed this weekend before the weather gets hot. I noticed the fan was dead about 2-weeks ago but I have no idea how long it was out of service.

A quick browsing of my Bentley and I cannot find the procedeure to drop the shroud and fans - I have to look closer - dosent seem too hard to replace.

ErikR

Veteran Member
TDI
OK so that was a quick and easy fix :)

I did have an oh *%#@ moment when I started the car and put the a/c on cause it took a few seconds for the fans to start - I guess cause the car had been sitting overnight and was 'cold'.

now where is my beer!

SpeedFreek

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 New Jetta
One of my fans exploded about 20-30k ago and it hasn't affected anything other than its a bit loud when it tries running. The dealership said I damaged it because I do my own work and wouldn't cover it under warranty. I have more trouble getting the car up to temp than keeping it from going above normal so I don't think that the one bad fan will matter much, when the other one explodes I will probably do them both.

I think I may go the aftermarket route to replace it because the OEM fans just happen to fall apart after a while for no good reason.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
If you use your air conditioner, then you really want both of those fans running. It will improve the performance, and let the compressor run at a lower temperature and pressure, extending its life.

Even if you do not run the AC, you might find out about the last one failing at an inoportune time... like stuck in traffic for the only time of the year.

GermanDude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
i just entered 1K0-959-455-DG into 1stvwparts and it said "Part number 1K0959455DG was superseded by part number 1K0959455ES."

is this part still the passenger side cooling fan for the 2006 jetta tdi?

ErikR

Veteran Member
TDI
GermanDude, I used this part number info from robinsresort's post above. Yes I got the superseded part# - not sure if this is a better design or not - time will tell.

When the 1stvw part the box was labeled from a dealership - I did not read it too closely and my first time ordered from them. You could try to find the part# closer to you (ships from the west coast) but fwiw but they did ship relatively fast, extremely well packed and it was the correct part

robbinsresort said:
You sure you want to go cheap on something this important?

https://www.1stvwparts.com/partscat.html

Mechanical Catalog
Item Number 1K0959455DG
MSRP $251.28
Core Price $0.00
Price $183.94
Cooling system - Cooling fan
Cooling fan, jetta, 1.9l tdi, right 2005 - 2007

Last edited:

Marauderer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta "Diesel Edition"
xracerbob said:
Fan Update-

I installed the fan from Summit and now have about 1500 miles on it. It seems to work fine, I have run about half the time with the A/C on. I did not need to modify the plastic shroud other than drilling a few mounting holes for the new fan, so if I want, I can go back at any time to the oem version.
XRBob, how is the Summit fan doing??:D

GermanDude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
ErikR said:
GermanDude, I used this part number info from robinsresort's post above. Yes I got the superseded part# - not sure if this is a better design or not - time will tell.

When the 1stvw part the box was labeled from a dealership - I did not read it too closely and my first time ordered from them. You could try to find the part# closer to you (ships from the west coast) but fwiw but they did ship relatively fast, extremely well packed and it was the correct part

thank you ErikR, I will order the fan today.

scrichy84

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, Manual
I had my left, (Driver side) fan explode and had all the piesces so I tried to fix it with no luck....it just happen to break after the dealer had dropped my tranny to fix the leaky beast...hmmmm. But as I hate the dealership with a passion I will go to the end of the earth to fix something before I go back to those sap sucking, mark the new TDI's up $5k over sticker, bastards.

blong

TDI
1997 Passat
After reading through this thread, people recommend going aftermarket. I haven't been able to find an aftermarket fan.

???

I have a 1997 passat TDI. The left fan motor is good, but the fan itself is broken. Looks like I need to replace the fan and motor. Is this correct?