Beetle RSI style TDI

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
The Beetle has grown on me and I would like to start entertainment of building a TDI Beetle 4 motion with body kit RSI style. Where to start? Purchase a TDI Beetle and weld in an R-32 drive train? Start with an R-32 and tear the body off? Would like to go with least modifications necessary. Even if I could afford an RSI I don't think I would even consider swapping a TDI into it. Maybe... I'm a skilled welder and metal fabricator with access to a bunch of neat stuff hydraulic tube bender, plasma cutter, water jet cutter, CNC, metals casting equipment, 3-D printer, MIG and TIG welding etc. I thought I'd post here despite feeling I am still a newbie. Figure there would be better exposure and not muddy the TDI 101 section. I have a little understanding of the work that Korwerks does and while functional I feel like with the equipment I have available that "grafting" the rear section of a euro 4 motion car onto another car would be actually more work with a less desirable result. An Audi TT chassis would be an option correct? How would the TT or R-32 differ from a RSI if at all? From what I understand the RSI was the test bed for the R-32 drive system. Thanks to anyone that would like to help educate and/or give options or thought on this.

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
First task would be to find an RSI kit. They are like hens teeth and you do not want one of the aftermarket ones as they are complete crap. Then find a good clean TDI shell, then import a complete TDI 4mo car from the EU and swap everything over. Thats the easy way at least. Be sure and start a build thread if you do this. Good luck!

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Could also just buy a pre tdi swapped 4motion from the states. Unless of course that costs more then shipping one. Some of them are janky swaps, but others have been done well.

If you build one please start a build thread! I would definitely add it to my watch list!

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
Ok I realize the RSI body kit is unobtanium I think is what you were getting at Sexy. I would be fabricating my own with FGRP or CFRP if not something like Lexan or other Polycarbonate vacuum forming. If I do this build and I plan to not really a matter of if but when I will make a thread on it. Also I will likely make a small number of Body Kits available here to TDI Club members.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
Maybe not FGRP I am considering other materials now as well for a RSI style body kit. I have a question or two that may really belong in TDI 101, and here they are what comprises a RSI body kit or other "wide body kits" in that are these mounted directly to or on top of stock body panels or do they replace body panels and if they replace OEM body panels depending on materials and material construction design would this not perhaps badly compromise crash safety character of the vehicle? For example replacement of OEM parts with stiffer material could lessen energy absorption and a less stiff material could yield excessively, inadequate for protection from crash.

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
They are replacement front and rear bumper covers, and offer zero structural rigidity

PANIAWO

TDI
BEW X2
Good lawd I've been pondering this exact same thing. I'll build a 4mo TDI Beetle but I don't have hope in ever finding an RSI body kit. Probably will be this Beetle since I got so much time and energy in it. Will look good next to my Haldex B4V build. I like doing AWD VW's.

I got a decent start, have an FEK-code 4mo box sitting in my storage pile along with a smattering of TT driveshafts awaiting the right project. Beetle fits the bill. Junk TT for the rear subframe and SQS for the controller. Instant 4mo. Keep an eye on my Beetle thread above since that's where it will likely end up.