Beetle Euro Headlight Conversion - with pics

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Mine are pretty well adjusted, just having to move the vertical adjustment. Not getting flashed so that's a good sign.

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
I just got mine installed and wanted to say thanks to Cattle repairman for originally posting and the great write-up and Velvet foot for steering me to the vendor in Germany.
It seemed to take forever to get the housings, 6+ weeks, but it was from Germany and it was over the very busy Christmas shipping season.
The lights are now more focused and they definitely have a better cutoff with more usable light going to the right (passenger side) and up for roadside and sign visibility.
All in all, I'm very happy with the mod and would recommend it to all my fellow Bug pilots.

BugaBloo

TDI
VW NB 2002, Dark Blue
Dear sirs, I tried the link on ebay.de but I guess the page wasn't there anymore. Would you be so kind as to send the contact email or company contact info as I'd really like to make this mod too. Best regards,

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
The outfits ebay member name is klasseautos_de they have an ebay store under the name KTS-KFZ-Ersatzeile. They have a buy-it-now auction for the inserts going on now at #7958361893 I believe it's going on until 2/23/06 although they seem to be running a sale on these pretty much constantly. My contact there was Christian Steiger who seemed fluent in english so there was no language problem. I'm very pleased with the inserts and even Fair Wifey has noticed a positive difference in visibility.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Just ordered a set, thanks.

TDI
Thinking of stocking a few of these Dan? :cool:

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Perhaps, but I also now own a 98 Beetle. :)

TDI
I don't have any other info besides what I posted already :( I would try to get hold of Christian via email (C.steger@gmx.net) or possibly a search over at ebay Germany for New Beetle headlights but without a translator, you may have trouble finding what you're after. Good luck!

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
I never got around to installing mine, but gave them to the Beetle's new owner.

Nate_Grauvogel

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T-Reg Exec
If you can't find him, try kfzteile24-de's store on eBay for right and left new headlights with LWR motors.

It's more expensive, but if they have the range motors in them, you are getting new lights for not much more than a set of motors would set you back.

I haven't bought from them, but they always have these, they ship world wide, and I'd bet at least someone there will likely speak english very well.

Edit: they even take PayPal, and ship to the US for ~$45

Last edited:

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
danix said:
Perhaps, but I also now own a 98 Beetle. :)
Hmmm...let me know if you do start stocking; I'm looking
but not too hard, but have wanted a set for (ever).

Thanks,

Lon

P.S The R32 wheels/tires I purchased from you - EVERYBODY
like their look on the black bug...thanx for the great buy!

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
I only need the actual projectors or the housings. Thankfully I already have the internals, motors, etc since my car has them as a factory option.

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
Hello, for passat 3BG (B5.5) at least, you can modify the pattern (US/Euro) by just moving one small handle that there is inside the headlight. I replaced my headlights by bi-xenon and I have the old ones here at home... I will take some pictures with my mobile and will post them... I don't know if this will work for other headlights.

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
This is the headlight:

The back of the headlight:

Now it is set with the Euro pattern... I will zoom inside:

You probably guess on the left of the image the small handle and also the moving parts that define the pattern... a bit on the left you can see:

yes, that piece is the handle that moves the pattern. Clearer pictures for both patterns:

US PATTERN:

... and EURO PATTERN:

That's all. Hope this helps!

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
madelgado said:
This is the headlight:

The back of the headlight:

Now it is set with the Euro pattern... I will zoom inside:

You probably guess on the left of the image the small handle and also the moving parts that define the pattern... a bit on the left you can see:

yes, that piece is the handle that moves the pattern. Clearer pictures for both patterns:

US PATTERN:

... and EURO PATTERN:

That's all. Hope this helps!
The ability to change the cutoff of the beam pattern is found on all the recent VWs with projector headlights in Europe. The completely straight cutoff isn't what is found in the US. It's that way so if the vehicle travels to England (or any other country that drives on the wrong side of the road ;) ) you're not blinding every oncoming driver. The US lights have a modified version of the "kinked" cutoff found on the European cars.

Nate_Grauvogel

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T-Reg Exec
JetPuf said:
well, good news. did some searching, and found some! YAY! didnt post it here though till I won the auction. hahaha...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180074955639

I searched for "Scheinwerferumrüstung" which translates using google to "Headlight re-equipment" on ebay.de and found a seller.
Time for me to set up a email notification for that search... thanks for sharing that you found a pair - that they're still out there for sale.

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
BudsBug said:
Do the Euro assembilies take a H7 and not H1 bulbs???
the euro assembilies take an H1. the seller in the link i provided mis posted the bulb info. he actually contacted me saying i could get outa the auction if i wanted, but it really makes no difference to me, i just wanted the NB ecode insert.

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
Pelican18TQA4 said:
The ability to change the cutoff of the beam pattern is found on all the recent VWs with projector headlights in Europe. The completely straight cutoff isn't what is found in the US. It's that way so if the vehicle travels to England (or any other country that drives on the wrong side of the road ;) ) you're not blinding every oncoming driver. The US lights have a modified version of the "kinked" cutoff found on the European cars.
Thanks for the explanation... I had no idea about that... just saw the pictures of the New Beetle and thought that it was for what I explained. I will delete the post so that noone gets messed. Thanks!

TDI
:cool:
You are excused for waiting until the auction was over. ;)
Congrats! and thanks for posting here for the rest of the gang.

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
It's a cool march morning, 42 degrees (Fahrenheit) outside, and I've been trying to sleep. my cat keeps wanting to snuggle with me... well mostly wake me up so she can get her morning food.

I roll over, and return to my slumber.

DING DONG

I spring out of bed throwing on my bathrobe on my way out my bedroom. Locked out roommate? UPS? USPS? Long awaited ECODES?!!?

Rushing to the door I hope I didn’t miss the carrier.

At the door I looked through the peephole to see what awaited me on the other side... couldn’t see anything.

I open the door hoping to see some package on the ground waiting for me.

I do!!! Quick, check where it's from... Christian Steger; and it has a Deutsche Post customs declaration sticker on it

E-CODES!!! WOOOT!

Opened up the package, made sure everything was safe inside. it was. YAY! I wonder where this guy gets these cool parts. The packaging seems to be paper used to mask off something that had been painted with white paint. I'll take compressed air to them to get the paper fiber residue off of them before they're installed this weekend.

**So excited!!**

gamefoo21

TDI
'98 Beetle... Shoulda been a TDI..
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know where to source these projector inserts now? Google is all but useless. :(