Beetle Euro Headlight Conversion - with pics

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
First of all...WHY??

As a recent trip to Europe reminded me, the beam pattern of Euro headlights is simply better. The asymmetric low beams are focused, provide extended range of light on the right hand side (curb side), allowing one to pick out signs and obstructions sooner while the beam is cut on the left hand side (avoiding blinding oncoming traffic)

Why not do the "E-code" thing and plunk in a set of Euro headlights?

Price aside, the US-style fenders and front mask have a slightly different shape, making the Euro headlights a poor fit for US beetles.

What you need:

A set of Euro headlight inserts (off EBay etc.; they can be as cheap as EUR 20 for the pair).
A bit of patience
A T20 security Torx bit
A pair of needlenose pliers (nor necessary but helpful)

Last things first - what is the outcome?

Here is a picture comparison of the low beams before and after the conversion. Note the "lump" of light on the US version and the clear beam cutoff and extended right hand side of the beam on the Euro version (the spike that goes upwards on the wall will extend forward as the light beam hits the road in front of the car!).

The headlights are crudely aimed - I need to actually mark the wall and do a proper job one of these evenings!

Headlight inserts - comparison

Look at the metal blind behind the lens. Note the sharp downward angle in the Euro insert, causing the beam to extend on this side.

HOW - TO

1) Take the headlights out (refer to writeup here or on www.newbeetle.org)

Note the grey plastic tabs (4) that hold the clear lens to the housing.

2) Remove the lens from the housing by prying the tabs - use your fingers, be careful not to break the tabs.
This is what you see:

3) remove the rear black lid from the back of the housing to get access to the light bulbs. Remove both and also detach the ground wires (brown) from the bulb holders. Take care not to touch the glass surface of the bulbs.

The above picture shows the rear of the housing, bulbs still in place. The brown thing is the headlight insert that you are after!

3) The whole "silver" part, including the "white stuff" at its back pops out.
First, loosen the tab on the top:

4) then, loosen the tab on the bottom. You can get a finger in there and pry one side of the tab while you push the insert from behind:

5) Now - to understand how the insert is attached, look at these "after" pictures. It is otherwise hard/impossible to see with the assembly still in place:

On the same side as the last bracket that you just opened, is a CLOSED receptacle for a pin that sticks out from the insert. DO NOT PRESS ON THIS SIDE.

On the other side of the insert is an open-mouthed bracket.
Press from the back on this side. It takes a bit of force, but the insert will snap out!

Ta-dah!

6) Now you should have the insert in your hands and it will look like this:

7) Use the security Torx bit, unscrew the three screws and remove the low-beam headlight insert. Take care not to lose the 2 rubber spacers!

8) Place the new low-beam insert in the same spot and do not forget the rubber spacers. Tighten the screw that does not need a spacer first. Then tighten the other two screws to the point where the gap between metal insert and white plastic body is even:

9) Re-assemble the insert and the housing. Avoid touching the silver parts as much as possible. Ease the insert in, engaging the pin that goes into the closed tab first, then the "butterfly" tab that closes around the black round thingy in the bottom and then the open-mouthed tab on the other side. You can snap it into place by pulling from behind rather than pressing from the front.

11) Use your favourite brand of streak-free window cleaner to clean any dirt and finger prints off the silver parts and the lens (now you know why taking the bulbs out was a good idea!
)

12) Re-attach the clear plastic lens.

13) Insert the bulbs (you may want to clean the glass with glass cleaner as well).

14) Thoroughly clean the tracks on the headlight housing and the tracks in the headlight receptacle in the car.

Insert the headlights into the car and do not forget to re-aim them.

Here are two pictures comparing the beams on the road, before and after!
It is more impressive in real life.

Here are two pictures of the car seen by a standing person, about 15m in front of the vehicle:

The time required to do this mod is about 5 mins for taking the lights out, 15-20 mins per headlight to disassemble, change the insert, clean and re-assemble and another 10 mins to clean the tracks and put the lights back in!

I like the improved light pattern (the pics do not convey the better lighting as much as I had hoped for; people who run E-codes on their Golfs and Jettas know what I mean!
) and it was a low-budget modification.

Maybe one of the few things that are actually easier/cheaper on the Beetle compared to the Jetta/Golf!

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
What did you search on to find the inserts on eBay? Was this on the US eBay, (eBay.com), or the german one, (eBay.de)?

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
What did you search on to find the inserts on eBay? Was this on the US eBay, (eBay.com), or the german one, (eBay.de)?
I searched on ebaymotors.de and found this guy:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View...ssPageName=WD1V

He now sells the pair for EUR 19.99 (which is still cheap, in my book). They are new and unused.
I was patient with shipping (ground parcel, 3 weeks).

Alternatively, the parts can be sourced through a VW parts counter or a scrap yard.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
This is very cool. I've always wondered how the DOT-issue headlights are on the NB. Is this eCode "insert" config significantly better?

thx.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Excellent! This is the first I have heard of this.
Can I ask you any more details of how you ordered this from this guy? Like, how much is that postage (the sight doesn't seem to say to US), or how do you pay for it? Does he write English? Thanks. Awesome mod.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
No reason why not. You'd likely need a Euro one to compare to, as the cutoff plate may be in a different position relative to the focus of the bulb, and might need bent forward or back. But some careful work with a Dremel should sort the beam pattern out...

63Ragtop

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 NB GLS, Auto, Red, Black Leather
I searched on ebaymotors.de and found this guy:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View...ssPageName=WD1V

He now sells the pair for EUR 19.99 (which is still cheap, in my book). They are new and unused.
I was patient with shipping (ground parcel, 3 weeks).
When you look at the eBay listing linked above, it will be all German, of course. Add it to your My eBay Watch list. One of the links on the upper right above the seller's ID will do that. Then go to your My eBay page. Go back into the listing through your Watched list. Now all of the eBay navigation will be translated to English.

Purchase the item with Buy It Now. Then request an invoice from the seller. In the message box, request a Paypal invoice. You will receive an invoice in your email and can pay with your Paypal. To the U.S., shipping is 12.90 Euro. Total of 32.89 Euro was $42.71.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
No reason why not. You'd likely need a Euro one to compare to, as the cutoff plate may be in a different position relative to the focus of the bulb, and might need bent forward or back. But some careful work with a Dremel should sort the beam pattern out...
I did not post the pictures, but I should have known better! TDIClub people want to know everything!

The lens is also slightly different between Euro and US (note the position of the line across the lens):

This is the USA lens:

This is the Euro lens:

Wherever you source the headlight inserts - make sure that they are stamped with a big "R" on the metal blind. This denotes that they are for RIGHT side traffic (as opposed to LEFT side traffic as in the U.K., Ireland etc.).

63Ragtop

Veteran Member
TDI
My Euro low beam projektors arrived today via surface Deutsche Post. Return address Robert Bosch Strasse. Almost six weeks in transit. Those old tramp steamers are not turbocharged.

These are nice parts. Brand new. Even have reverse-dip levers in case I drive to England.

Now for the fun part. Some assembly required.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Though I took the much less affordable route (purchasing actual European New Beetle headlights), I too had E-code lights on my New Beetle 1.8T. Hmm, my '05 New Beetle TDI has the factory Bi-Xenon lights, I wonder if this gentleman can get a set of the European Bi-Xenon projectors???

63Ragtop

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm, my '05 New Beetle TDI has the factory Bi-Xenon lights, I wonder if this gentleman can get a set of the European Bi-Xenon projectors???
When your business address is Robert Bosch Strasse, anything is possible.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Installed! Want to say it was a great writeup and research cattlerepairman. Thanks much.

Would like to emphasize not to put tab on floor when pushing out insert. Mine cracked and is still hanging in there by a thread, knock on wood.

I probably should adjust them now, but I have to read up more on that. There definately is a kick up to the right. Here is a link from Daniel Stern, but I don't know how applicable that will be. My plan is to read up on the Bentley procedure, esp. what the adjusters do, and then use my garage door, even though the driveway is sloped. I figure I can move them down equally - I feel they might be a tad high. There is horizontal adjustment on these?

Anyways, thanks again!

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Question: I was attempting to roughly aim the lights a little in the driveway. I tried moving the passenger one horizontally, but it wouldn't move. The mosquitos were bad so I didn't see if the other light could be adjusted horizontally. Not normal? Should there be horizontal adjustment?

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Don't know about the NB in particular, but I always find the horizontal adjustment most difficult. If you're too close to your aiming screen/ wall/ door, you'll find it hard to see the image moving as you adjust...

Tyler Gee

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 00 Jetta
Does the seller have an English page to order from? Does he accept PayPal?

I was under the impression that the Euro fixtures used H7 lamps instead of the H1 used in North America. What is the correct lamp to use with the conversion?

Tyler Gee

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB, 00 Jetta
Don't know about the NB in particular, but I always find the horizontal adjustment most difficult. If you're too close to your aiming screen/ wall/ door, you'll find it hard to see the image moving as you adjust...
Because the low or dipped beam is a wide angle pattern it is hard to discern where the center is if you are using the old Mk I eyeball. Switch to the main or hi beam and use the hot spot in the center to adjust the fixture. If you pull the fuse to the low beam before you try to adjust the lights, it works even better. If you haven't already discovered it yet, every time you take the fixture out, it changes the aim of the lights slightly when you put it back. This is why I disabled the DRL function on my Beetle. H1 lamps were originally designed as a compact light source for intermittant use in driving/fog lamps. Continious use such as DRL's really shortens their life to the point you seem to be replacing them constantly.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
My H1's have lasted really well. The ramp up on the right is quite discernable. While I haven't tried adjusting the other light horizontally, I was thinking that it might be a factor of the US version not having the horizontal adjustment enabled. Alas, I should have taken more notice when they were apart!

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
The US New Beetle headlights have both a vertical and a horizontal aim adjustment. The European headlights are the same. The upper adjuster is for the vertical aim and the lower one (not very easy to get at, I recommend a ball socket allen key) is for the horizontal aim.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I did not see your post untlil now - yes, horizontal alignment is slow. I also find it easier if the car is about 13ft or so away from the wall.
Mine did not need much horizontal aligning. How do you like the light?