Beer swap at TDIFest

scknight

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 6MT
Ok, reading another post I realized that we may have some beer lovers coming to the Fest from all over the country. How about some people bring their favorite local brew, to swap with other local brews?

Of course we would have to all bring it warm- so it wouldnt get skunked!
Maybe list what local brew your bringing so we have fewer repeats?

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
This is a great idea! Can anyone get me some Alaskan Brewing Smoked Porter? I have Amsoil for trade!

Guys, I am telling you--Victory Brewing's Prima Pils on tap will nearly make you wet yourselves. It is worth the 15 minute drive from Valley Forge just for the aroma.

I'll try to remember to bring some Lancaster Brewing Co.'s Hop Hog and Milk Stout. Both are quite good.

MDIESEL

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf GLS PD-TDI
fastvicar said:
I'll try to remember to bring some Lancaster Brewing Co.'s Hop Hog and Milk Stout. Both are quite good.
I'll vouch for the Hop Hog (one of my fav's). How bout the 4 Grain?

I can bring some ABC (Appelachian Brewing Co., and I know I spelled it wrong).

MPGeez!

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Black TDI 5M PK2
Great idea. Troegs (Harrisburg) makes a decent IPA, so hoppy it'll make you thirsty. I'll see what else they bottle.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Guys, this sounds like a GREAT idea!

However, the hotel has rules about bringing in outside 'food'.

I am checking with the hotel rep to be sure we wouldn't be bending any rules...too much.:cool: Will post as soon as I know.

...like I can stop a bunch of guys from transporting their favorite brews... :rolleyes: :cool:

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
MPGs, did you get your all-grain supplies from the Brothers in Lemoyne, too?

Extract is for chumps and fathers with small children!

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
I have the contract and there is a mention of bringing yoru own alchol into the hotel.

Offically per contract:

FOOD & BEVERAGE POLICIES

Due to licensing requirements and quality control issues, all food and beverage to be served on the Hotel property must be supplied and prepared by the Hotel. All food and beverage prices are subject to a 19% service charge and a 6% state tax (subject to change without notice). [Please note that the service charge is taxable.]

though, I am going to check something written in the original preposal from the hotel.

Last edited:

MPGeez!

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Black TDI 5M PK2
Thanks for sharing the contract info. Sounds like pretty standard language to prevent people from (1) setting up their own bar at weddings, reunions, etc.; (2) creating a liability; and (3), undercutting the hotel receipts. Speaking for myself, I didn’t foresee a bash of any kind, just a discrete get together to share our unique enthusiasm for hops aroma and diesel fumes. I think the concept is valid and we’ll figure out a creative, acceptable, responsible means of sharing some brew that'll keep TDIFest out of hot water.

fastvicar, I used to buy my supplies all over the place: shops in Westminster, MD, York, Manchester and bought specialty stuff through the mail. I've never been to Brothers although I've heard of them.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
I have problems with this becoming an organized event, as part of the TDIFEST. We are also dealing with some PA state laws here too. Something I don't want to be involved with.

on an "offical matter"

if you guys bring your own. I can't stop you, but it's more of something that I feel the staff should not be involved with. just saying

Last edited:

scknight

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 6MT
Leo, Sorry, I didnt mean to cause any headaches. I wasnt looking for an official event. I was thinking more along the lines of a hey 'Leo819' nice to meet you in person, do you want to swap a beer single from Oregon?

I believe it is still illegal to transport alcohol into PA from out of state, (ie tax reasons) but I would think small amounts for personal consumption would be overlooked as long as it isnt on your roof rack.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
scknight said:
Leo, Sorry, I didnt mean to cause any headaches. I wasnt looking for an official event. I was thinking more along the lines of a hey 'Leo819' nice to meet you in person, do you want to swap a beer single from Oregon?
I know you are trying to be social et al, Scknight. I just wanted to cover my butt, since I signed the contract.

I am just looking at the whole picture. All I am saying that the staff shouldn't be involved in it. For reasons I mentioned above. As for guests, it's up to them, I am not gonna play nark, not my job.

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
I'm not thinking of this as an official part of the event. Just a casual thing between those of us who posted on this thread.

MPGeez!

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Black TDI 5M PK2
dieselrox said:
...from Old Dominion Brewery in Ashburn, VA. They have some brews that are to die for!
They sure do. I toured the brewery right after they opened way back when--are they still located near the Redskins facility? I forget the owner's name, but he's a pretty neat guy who started as a home brewer when he was stationed overseas by sneaking ingredients in a diplomatic pouch.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
We're in! But somebody, please take a meander away from the wicked hoppy stuff that makes you feel like you're sucking on the end of a Christmas tree? (But do bring an extra bottle of that stuff that makes you thirsty for Scott!)

So many of our Boston locals have gone mainstream. We'll find something. Oh, and Watch City Brewing Company's Hops Explosion will definitely be part of it.

All the Barley Wines I like are not legal to transport. :eek:

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
Mmmm, evergreen!

I'll see what I can do. FWIW, I cannot tolerate most Belgian Trappist stuff. Beer heresy, perhaps, but that is the way it is.

Shall I bring a selection of Lancaster's finest potato chips, too? ;)

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
Yummmmmm. Pennsylvania's own chips and local brew :rolleyes: . We hit the Bethlehem BJs for huge containers of Utz pretzels for the Ho5Gs GTG. Let's see if we can't get some backing for a TDIFest sponsorship!! :D Can't you picture that little girl with her hand in the bag o' chips driving a TDI???? It would make a great tshirt!

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
FWIW, one of my church members provides their potato supply. As well as nearly every other chip maker in the area. Seriously, we have close to 2 dozen independent chip makers within an hour of here. I often wonder how Wisconsin beat us out on the Fattest State title.

MPGeez!

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Black TDI 5M PK2
fastvicar said:
I often wonder how Wisconsin beat us out on the Fattest State title.
Me too! :)

Jetter Sprinta are you just a fan of Utz? Their plants are one town over from me. I've often wondered if they run their trucks on WVO or bio.

Last edited:

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
Scott thinks the girl in the Utz label looks like me (Jetter). I am not sure if it's the rosy cheeks, side-long glance, or the hand in the chip bag :eek: !

You guys need to work your connections to get them to donate something to the Fest! We can raffle it off. And Scott would pay double for a Fest t-shirt that had the Utz girl on it! :cool:

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Mmmmm....

Kettle Cooked...

Dark Russets...

Hand Cooked...

I love getting Utz Chipped!

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
Grandma Utz' is what you should try. IMO, a potato chip isn't a potato chip unless it is cooked in lard.

A nice alternative to a real potato chip are those cooked in peanut oil (crunchy). Pop in the oven for 7 minutes @ 350, then sprinkled with either a jerk or a chipotle steak rub. Toss to coat. Not a real potato chip, but a pretty good snack regardless.

Last edited:

MPGeez!

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Black TDI 5M PK2
UTZ Chiplomacy

fastvicar said:
Maybe I'll donate something myself. I'll see what I can do about an Utz-girl shirt. After all, I owe him!
I think I have a line on getting some complimentary Utz chips. How many do you think we need (1 oz. bags)? I'll see if I can drum up other goodies. :cool:

Jetter_Sprinta

TDI
That is awesome!! How many 1 oz bags fit in one of those cute Utz trucks? THe more stuff you can get, the bigger hero you'll be!!! :D