Been noticing a slow but certain decrease in fuel mileage

TDI
2002 1.9L Jetta TDI
Ever since about October i believe it was, I've been noticing my fuel mileage is a bit lower than usual. At first i just assumed i had been driving more aggressively than normal but after several months of it going from averaging 41-42 to 37-39 I'm wondering if it could be a fuel filter needing replaced (which I'm going to do soon anyway.) I also have a suspicion that the cold has been making my brakes gum up more than normal which could be a contributing factor (i also intend to check these to be sure they aren't sticking), or maybe just these cars tend to get worse mileage over winter? Any input appreciated!

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
If you live anywhere in the north where it gets cold, you are likely experiencing the result of winterized diesel. The additives to prevent gelling in cold weather decrease efficiency.
A few mpg is normal, sometimes more. When spring comes and stations begin selling summer blend fuel, you will likely see your economy return.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Winter fuel has less BTU's, aka less energy per gallon, just like bio-and bio-blend Diesel fuel....
Winter fuel in some areas is a blend of #1&#2 Diesel or is chemicaly treated (there are limits).... similarly a diesel will burnore fuel just the heat up...look.at how much longer your cars stays at a slightly higher rpm alter start.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
These guys are right. I personally see about 5 mpg loss in the winter in my 01. The gfs 01 also sees about the same loss. My truck drops between 5-8 mpg in the winter. Just the nature of the beast.