Beef on a Budget. VR6/Wagon springs

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
Rock Auto lists the MOOGs for a wagon, so I trusted it. The old springs were sold to another TDI club member for his Golf. I am keeping my eye open for options. If you see anything, let me know.
They are not easy to find here, but I have a set of Sachs 996573 springs on the rear of our wagon. They are basically the VW "5 Green Towing" springs. I went with the Moog front springs. It did raise the ride height a bit but I like it and the handling is as good or maybe better than the old springs. Don't get me wrong, its not a Mini, but then what else is? What I really like is you can load 200+ pounds in the back and it still rides well, very little sag. They cost quite a bit more than the Moog springs, but may be worth it if you carry heavy loads. You can see my car here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=366639

Richptl

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI automatic 305,000 miles
My wagon has 190,000 miles on it and I think have a strut failing on the driver's side. The car's ride is getting harsher. I like the idea of the 81134 Moog front springs, front of car does sit low with the added weight of TDI engine and Panzer plate. The Blauparts package price is a great deal for struts, shocks, and hardware. Anyone else have any bad experience other than the poster who noticed rusting?

If I get the Moog front springs I'll probably just get the 4 Cylinder spring/shock kit as I don't want to over-lift the front.

Great thread for those of us on a budget!

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
Maybe the dumbest question, but here it goes.
On rockautoparts for the moog springs it says "sold in pairs". But it sounds too cheap to be true. $29.43 for rears and $31.46 for fronts.
Do you change quantity to 2 or leave as 1 and receive a pair?

E.ROY

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI
They are that cheap, the prices were going down because less Mk4's are on the road every day.

Last edited:

Richptl

Vendor
TDI
I got the Moog springs from E.Roy and coated them with Plastidip. That's flexible so I will see how that holds up on a coil spring. Decided not to get the Chinese Blauparts kit and got German made Bilstein TC Sport front struts only for $160 for a pair. The struts came in yesterday and when I push on them they are stiff and progressive for sure.

Plan to do it all this weekend. Somewhere I saw a trick of where someone used the spare tire jack to push the old strut out of the housing.

When I'm done I will have Bilstein TC Sport front struts, Moog 81134 VR6 front springs, Powerflex upper struts mounts, new rubber sway bar bushings, and Audi TT rear LCA bushings. Back suspension is still all stock for my wagon which has taller/stiffer springs than the sedan to begin with. Might pick up a $150 rear anti-sway bar as I don't want the understeer to get too crazy with all the front end beef-up I am doing.

Richptl

Vendor
TDI
I put the Bilstein struts on and Moog 81134 springs. With the extra lift it affects the toe angle also, the stretch up causes toe out so I set the toe angle as close as I could before taking it to an alignment shop.

Will see how the car settles after a few weeks. It didn't raise the front end all that much. Front and rear now look about level on the wagon which has the taller rear springs to begin with.

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
Got mine in for 2 weeks now. Only one spacer on the front and the back is hire. When I get time, i'll put the second spacer, especially that the shock mounts will sag too.
Ride is ok. I wouldn't say like stock but it's close. It's a little harsher than stock. But the ride height gain, plus the stiffness on the back (to be able to load lots or tow heavier stuff) it's a great benefit. I just brought home 1100lbs of flagstone on a homedepot 4x6 trailer and there was barely any sag on the back. Last week, right after install I had a 2000lbs skid in the same trailer and it towed very well. Sagged about 2" only, compared to 3-4" with the stock, worn out suspension.
I only have 15" wheels on and the expansion joints are loud. With bigger wheels/havier, it would probably attenuate that.
What is weird, I heard the same noise someone was reporting a while back. Rear spring twinging on revers or just after reversing. I think the spring has a different shape than stock and it shifts in there. Replacing the aluminum bottom perch collar might help. I didn't buy them and I don't think I'll bother soon. But I figured I'd mention it for people that are looking to use these springs.
Overall, I'm happy with it all. I hope it'll last 100k:)

CmdrData

Veteran Member
North of 401, where the snow double/triple up!
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
I'll have to reuse the stock TDI springs, which Blausport set should I get? 4cyl or 6cyl? Will the stock springs work with 6cyl struts/shocks? FYI, I've an Evo skid plate on, running 16" in summer, 15" steels in winter, no tow hook. 01 Golf btw.

Thx!

miketoth1979

TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Stock springs should work just fine with the blausport 6cly. If I were going to do the whole thing again, I'd get the 6 cycl shocks and struts, too. You and I have pretty much the same setup!

miketoth1979

TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I have the VR6 springs front and wagon springs on the back, but my shocks and struts are the 4cylinder model from blausport! Don't get me wrong, they are perfectly fine and I don't really have any other complaints other than I could go with a bit more beef and still be pretty happy. The springs will determine your overall ride hide, though....and the new mounts lift your ride a bit too initially. So if you are sticking with stock springs, you may not gain a huge amount of lift.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Body roll and nose dive are not controlled by the springs. Springs are for supporting weight. Sway bars and shocks control body roll and nose dive.

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
The stiffer the springs, the less body roll and nose dive. At least that's my understanding.
The shocks do help as well, but the springs have a greater role. When you add a sway bar on the back, or a stiffer one on the front, you are increasing the spring rate by transferring force to the other side through the sway bar.

On to using 4cyl or 6 cyl struts, I would like to try the 6cyl, or someone to report back. I think the 6 cyl springs are too stiff for the 4 cyl struts and not working well together. There is a certain stiffness and springiness over small bumps (washboard) and concrete expansion joints. I played with the air pressure, I replaced all the bushings and ball joints/tie rods at the same time, so I can only blame this on the stiffer springs.
Don't get me wrong, I like the stance (I used a 10mm spacer on the front too) and body roll and nose dive have improved a lot. I tow regularly, I have a tow hitch 4 bike rack and when that's on, with 4 people in the car I definitely like having stiffer springs:)

TDI4evah

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I had these springs installed in my '03 wagon. I'm pleased so far, but surprised that the front doesn't seem to ride any higher. It may even be a tad lower.

I had a strange side effect. When I go over bumps now the spings make a distinctive 'sproing' sound.

Did I miss something in the installation? Are there rubber bushing that go on the bottom or anything? Anyone else experienced it?

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
The front springs don't seem to have the added "wagon" lift like the rears do. I ended up putting in a .75" spacer in the front of my Golf to level out the ride.

miketoth1979

TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Yeah, I had that "sproing" sound, too, as did another member many comments back. Mine was coming from the rears right after I installed them. All I had to do was rotate the spring, because it was rubbing against the side of the metal spring seat. I doubt you missed any bushings or anything like that!

TDI4evah

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Jay: Thanks. Where did you get a 3/4 inch lift kit? That sounds about the right amount.

Mike: Thanks to you too. It's much worse on the right rear - guess I'll compress that sucker and turn it some.

CmdrData

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
Guys, needs help from those who have ordered BLAU MkIV suspension kit before.

I ordered a set of MkIV Golf v6 kit for myself and a set of MkIV Jetta I4 kit for a friend at the same time. Both kits arrived but none of the individual part is labelled with either the Golf or Jetta kit parts # (1002 or 1003 as per BLAU's site).

I've email BLAU but would like to know if anyone can still recall the parts # on your strut/shock/accessories kit.

Thanks!

SomeGuySomeWhere

TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS 5-Speed
Hi CmdrData,

On my VR6 Kit (MGR1003-B) the Part Numbers are as follows:

Struts: MG30003

Shocks: MG50003

Strut Accessory Kit Front (Sealed Box): MG11212

Shock Accessory Kit Rear (Sealed Box): MG21901
_____

My kit came with the Rear Shock Upper Mounts but not the Four Stretch bolts for the Upper Mounts. If you look at the parts picture for the kit at Blauparts the four bolts aren't shown.

I ordered the four bolts from Roseland Technical Services. The part number is: N 910 661 01

CmdrData

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
Hi SGSW,
Thanks for your reply!
The parts # you supplied below are identical to the parts # on both the i4 & v6 kits I received. Does that mean BLAU's kit does not distinguish between different engines? If that's so then those who ordered i4 kits do not have to regret not ordering the v6 kit afterall.
Yes, the kit does not include rear top mount bolts. A dealer parts guy told me last time I need a total of 8, which is non-sense, but I bought them anyway so I've 4 spare already.
Thx!
Hi CmdrData,
On my VR6 Kit (MGR1003-B) the Part Numbers are as follows:
Struts: MG30003
Shocks: MG50003
Strut Accessory Kit Front (Sealed Box): MG11212
Shock Accessory Kit Rear (Sealed Box): MG21901
_____
My kit came with the Rear Shock Upper Mounts but not the Four Stretch bolts for the Upper Mounts. If you look at the parts picture for the kit at Blauparts the four bolts aren't shown.
I ordered the four bolts from Roseland Technical Services. The part number is: N 910 661 01

SomeGuySomeWhere

TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS 5-Speed
Hi SGSW,
Thanks for your reply!
The parts # you supplied below are identical to the parts # on both the i4 & v6 kits I received. Does that mean BLAU's kit does not distinguish between different engines? If that's so then those who ordered i4 kits do not have to regret not ordering the v6 kit afterall.
Yes, the kit does not include rear top mount bolts. A dealer parts guy told me last time I need a total of 8, which is non-sense, but I bought them anyway so I've 4 spare already.
Thx!
I'm glad I could help :)

Are the part numbers the same for the Struts & Shocks or only the Accessory kits?

CmdrData

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
Yes, the parts # are the same for everything from struts/shocks & accessories.

Spent yesterday and today installing the kit on both cars plus alignment. Everything seems fine so far.

I'm glad I could help :)

Are the part numbers the same for the Struts & Shocks or only the Accessory kits?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
I pulled my struts out this weekend to add another spacer (a total of 2) and I was surprised to see that not even a month after the original install, the strut bearings are done. There was so much play in them (side to side) I wasn't comfortable installing them again. I had a used pair (only about 6 month) that were still tight as new, so I installed those.
I can't say if it's bad quality or just the load from stiffer springs (supposedly) and one spacer...but I would not use them again. The old ones I had were INA. These Blau ones don't have any distinctive manufacturer markings.
Also, I am experiencing a height difference between front left and front right of about 3/4" (with 1, 2 or no spacers). After carefully inspecting the install and parts, I can only find about 1/4" difference in shock mounting points in the hub. The bracket that is on the back of the strut, that goes through the slit on the hub and the mounting bolt goes through...seems to be mounted lower on on of the shocks.
But that's only 1/4". At this point, I'm assuming that one of the springs is stiffer, or longer than the other. I already had the strut assemble out of the car 3 times.